OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Diagnosis help - noise under load sounds like transmission but....

Greensborough / sunshine / Aspendale. Kind of homeless at the mo
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would rear diff make drone noise a bit like holed exhaust under load?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02 GU3 Dual Fl Y61 4.8 Auto. 3"OME, Snorkel, roof tray, Dual Batt, CB, d8r winch, ledlightco bar, fact steel BB, Elec Tow. hid spots, rvrs & tow cams, rear door rattle fix, saas dual volt gauge, mostly fin cust dash pod, ludicrous work lights. TO DO: convert headlights - led? rear tails, full overhaul trannie & engine. rear storage. door table. O/h interior storage, Paint Matt black. Bash guards. Side rails. Roof ladder. Awning.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialDave View Post
    Would rear diff make drone noise a bit like holed exhaust under load?

This is what happened to the rear diff of my GQ, last year. It was the pinion bearing gone cactus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljzu...ature=youtu.be
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

SpecialDave (30th July 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And yes, I forgot to mention, the noise always sounded like it was coming from the front, but actually it was the back. The noises and vibrations travel through the drivetrain and not so easy to pinpoint locations most of the time. It was a whirring noise in my case. No damage was done to the diff internals, even though I kept driving like that for few weeks.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok - checked for play in the prop and drive shafts - none
    Then after much percussive maintenance managed to open filler hole on rear diff - the fluid is prob 1cm below the filler hole. There was 1 very small metal filing on the plug. The fluid itself I'm unsure of what it should look like but here is a pic of what it looks like after a finger dip - keep in mind this is taken at 11pm, under the truck, in a servo, after 15 mins of belting a breaker bar with a weighted rubber mallet to release the plug...

image.jpg

Whilst doing all of this I remembered that a few weeks ago (maybe 4) I was inspecting and noticed the breather tube had disconnected at the top of the diff, I plugged it back in and it has stayed put but unsure how long it was off for..

And finally - here is a video I took last night where I am hoping you can hear the noise under load, when my seat isn't squeeking that is....

I'm thinking I might drain and redo the diff today or tomorrow morning - and pull the shaft off and inspect the bearings if possible at the time.

So I'm hoping these media insertions hell and that someone here may indeed know exactly what it is I should be doing or at least help me nail the source of the nose - I suspect diff somewhere but am not certain.

Cheers

Dg
    02 GU3 Dual Fl Y61 4.8 Auto. 3"OME, Snorkel, roof tray, Dual Batt, CB, d8r winch, ledlightco bar, fact steel BB, Elec Tow. hid spots, rvrs & tow cams, rear door rattle fix, saas dual volt gauge, mostly fin cust dash pod, ludicrous work lights. TO DO: convert headlights - led? rear tails, full overhaul trannie & engine. rear storage. door table. O/h interior storage, Paint Matt black. Bash guards. Side rails. Roof ladder. Awning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So diff oil replaced... 90 minutes in the middle of nowhere and cold but done..,what came out was pretty black'

And whilst the diff feels tighter the bloody noise is still there.

So I've checked tranny fluid, checked transfer case which was low and gear oil and now diff which I suspect had some water and replaced all with appropriate fluids and still happening so likely to be diff internals? Anything else?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh one more discovery - occurs only under load in all gears and only between about 1900 rpm and 3000 rpm?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you checked the universal joints. I have known a faulty one to make a buzzing noise.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

SpecialDave (1st August 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update - front prop shaft removed and I suspect for the first time ever. Noise still there - but far out the steering is now light so I may have one or 2 locked hubs as well which I'll jack up later and check - the unis seem ok in situ but short of pulling the tail shaft off won't truly be able to tell. I'm hoisting it up later today and going to see if I can replicate with it in the air and zoom in on the source....but noise is not from forward of the tfer case....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So front left auto is not disengaging and that in turn has meant constant 4wd through the transfer case which is where I'm guessing I have something with worn down teeth so it looks like I'll be leaving the front prop shaft off to avoid further damage and then investigating if I can diy repair or mechanic and then do a auto hub to manual conversion... Man that sucks!

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why not try marking the position of rear prop shaft remove it and see if uni's are worn out.
    could be the cause of noise as already pointed out.
    maybe even stick it in 4x4 and go for a drive with rear prop removed.
    you may isolate a cause
    Last edited by Robo; 1st August 2015 at 09:24 PM.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:

dom14 (2nd August 2015)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast