OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diagnosis help - noise under load sounds like transmission but....

Greensborough / sunshine / Aspendale. Kind of homeless at the mo
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diagnosis help - noise under load sounds like transmission but....

Hi all,

The history is my 02 GU 4.8 auto duel fuel seemed to have a slow minor leak. Turns out when I looked beneath it was a bit bigger than that. She's developed a whine and what sounds like a holed exhaust noise.mbut only under load in drive.. If I'm in neutral and rev her the noise is gone, if I'm in drive and coasting it's gone. If it's cold, the noise isn't there but as soon as it warms up above say 60-70 in the transmission it starts.

I'll attempt to post pic of where I think the leak has been from. I did check my transmission fluid levels after purchasing the Nissan dip stick (anyone out my way ever wants to borrow pm me) and aside from appearing to have green transmission fluid the levels seemed appropriate at both hot and cold checks so my leak is not transmission.this is where I think the leak is sourced...

image.jpg

I'll try and get her up on stands and specifically identify the noise but short of that I'm keen to diagnose or at least shortlist cause.

Based on the load occurrence and temperature factors it must be driveline gear changes seem fine in both 2 and 4wd. Like I said it sounds like when one of the bolts between exhaust sections mid vehicle went missing and thee was a leak but there's no obvious hole...

Anyone had same? Amy suggestions?

Maybe a bearing that's activated In drive under load?
    It's not the chain in transfer case as no grinding or clunking?
    Shaft?
    Diff although I don't think it is but could it be?

There seems to be some loss of power when this is occurring but not slipping type just general inability to get power to wheels?

Thanks for reviewing - frustrated but hopeful not a terminal issue!

Dave
    02 GU3 Dual Fl Y61 4.8 Auto. 3"OME, Snorkel, roof tray, Dual Batt, CB, d8r winch, ledlightco bar, fact steel BB, Elec Tow. hid spots, rvrs & tow cams, rear door rattle fix, saas dual volt gauge, mostly fin cust dash pod, ludicrous work lights. TO DO: convert headlights - led? rear tails, full overhaul trannie & engine. rear storage. door table. O/h interior storage, Paint Matt black. Bash guards. Side rails. Roof ladder. Awning.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    checked the level in your transfer ? sounds like it might be a low oil level ... my gear box did something similar when it was low on oil. the transfer i think is separate from your transmission.
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

4. The Following User Says Thank You to garett For This Useful Post:

SpecialDave (24th July 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks good sir... Will go about doing so tomorrow morning. Stay tuned for follow up question should my search for doing so proves fruitless...
    02 GU3 Dual Fl Y61 4.8 Auto. 3"OME, Snorkel, roof tray, Dual Batt, CB, d8r winch, ledlightco bar, fact steel BB, Elec Tow. hid spots, rvrs & tow cams, rear door rattle fix, saas dual volt gauge, mostly fin cust dash pod, ludicrous work lights. TO DO: convert headlights - led? rear tails, full overhaul trannie & engine. rear storage. door table. O/h interior storage, Paint Matt black. Bash guards. Side rails. Roof ladder. Awning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So lots of inspecting and research, it took a suspicion and mounting my gopro under the canyonero to see something a bit sus - my front prop shaft is full time engaged!

Is this something to do with auto locks playing up?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You can manualize the hubs if you want, have a search .
    Easy enough to do from what I hear
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MudRunner I'll pm you as well I read the following and am keen to see what you did to resolve the issue as I suspect it's what I have happening but am disinclined to convert my autos to manual unless absolutely necessary...

Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I would remove the front drive shaft and go for a drive and see if it is still there???

I have had a similar type of thing.... I think? It turned out my Auto hubs had not disengaged and although I was in 2wd I was still locked in 4wd. Worth a shot. You would not likely feel this vibe offroad so may not notice.

It would take 5 minutes to remove the front shaft and worth a drive, you could be chasing a ghost mate.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transfer case - took out just over 1lt of gear oil which was black and a very small amount of metal filings on magnet and replaced with semi synthetic Penrite atf -instant improvement - still a bit of a noise but could be diff so will do both next weekend. I've degreased and cleared the entire transmission and tfer case so I'll be able to spot where any leak is occuring. Haven't checked yet if auto hubs disengaged - stay tuned

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At one stage, I wanted to convert my manual hubs to auto, thinking it's a PITA to get out of the car all the time to engage them.
    Then I read all the postings here(well, not all of them of course ), and decided to stay happy with the manual hubs I have.
    So, how did you go with disconnecting the front drive shaft and testing to see if it's the auto hub?
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be done with the drive shaft- ran out of time as have little one...

Any tips on the process - remove front drive shaft, go for drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialDave View Post
    To be done with the drive shaft- ran out of time as have little one...

Any tips on the process - remove front drive shaft, go for drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's probably a good idea.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast