OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 GU Series VII - Instrument Panel LED Replacement - Learning from Mistakes

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2010 GU Series VII - Instrument Panel LED Replacement - Learning from Mistakes

As most of you will know, there are a gazillion threads out there about how to replace your dull lifeless instrument panel lights with Uber snazzy colour of choice LED's.

Wanting to be part of the cool group, I ordered both the cool white LED's for the heater / fan / AC and the Auto trans light. I ordered a set of red LED's to replace the instrument panel on the basis that a number of threads said that it was better on your eyes at night than bright white, blue or green, purple etc.

So I got both for about $24 or so from Fleabay and figuring I would leave the worst till last, did the heater / fan / AC and auto trans first. Pretty straight forward and it came up well.

Now for the dash...

The thing that worried me the most was the idea of removing the steering wheel given the airbag etc. Most posts said it was ok, some said no and other said it's easier and doable without having to remove it.

I opted for the 'don't remove' method.

Normally about now I would do a "How to" with images and all sorts of useful steps beyond a few lines of text that seems to be the norm for this mod.

BUT....

After getting through the 'seat-of-your-pants-please-don't-bust-the-delicate-plastic-bits-with-your-sausage-fingers' phase, I ended up with this on my workbench:

Take a close look..... see any LED's to replace? Nope, neither did I....

So lesson one: The 2010 GU Patrol Series VII does not have replaceable LED's in the instrument panel.... (check closely and you will see the LED's are part of the circuit board and immovable). Don't waste your time and money getting LED's for them.

As you can imagine, I was really disappointed.

Lesson two: Remove the instrument needles at your peril. Stupid me thought that like most instrument gauges, knobs and dials, there will be a "only one way to put on" with a little lug or similar to guide where to refit.... not so....

Not knowing this, I put it all together (so far I am half a day down as I was so going by the seat of my backside I was taking it very slowly), put the ignition in click to ACC and the needles for the speedo and RPM's jump up (both equally suggesting a similar issue for both) - they moved up to 40km/h mark.

@#$% I thought.... what the @#$% have I done?? And more to the point, how the @#$% will I fix it..

Not only that but the fuel gauge and sub-tank were out of whack but so was the temp gauge. I have to say panic nearly set in about now... you know that "Oh, #$% this is going to cost me a bomb to fix-what will my wife say-I knew I should have left it" feeling...

And it was about this time my wife came by to see how it was going.... "good thanks darling..." (you know, in that calm 'duck on the pond' way - calm on the surface 100 mph under the water). Thankfully Lin headed out to do some shopping leaving me to wallow in my pity without an audience.

How I fixed it

Seven bottles of scotch later (single malt of course)... only kidding...

I spent the next 30 minutes stripping it all back again to the point of having the panel sitting in the dash with the plastic front (the curved clear plastic front) removed.

I clicked forward the the key to ACC again and with it in that position the needles moved forward equally to the 40 km/h spot once more. I gently removed them and set them to zero (car not started by now).

I grabbed a couple of GPS' (Tom Tom apps, Hema Maps etc) and through them in the car and started her up. With the GPS speed as a bit of a measure, I took off around the block and into a few different speed zones. All good. the speedo was spot on and the RPM's are all good.

By now the engine had warmed up and I could tell how far out of whack the temp gauge was. I headed to the servo and filled up my main and sub-tanks while I was at it.

So knowing the tanks were both full and that the temp was right, I returned home to adjust those needles as well.

I know that sounds pretty straight forward, but it felt like a lifetime to get it resolved.

All fixed now but will have to live with classic Patrol dull instrument panel lights.
    Last edited by LaughingBeagles; 22nd July 2015 at 02:58 PM.
    Looking for a 4WD Club in WA that caters solely for Patrol, Safari and Maverick owners? Click here to HERE to visit the Western Patrol Club. Click HERE for the Beagle Mobile Mods!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LaughingBeagles For This Useful Post:

clawrence (23rd July 2015), Clunk (22nd July 2015), MudRunnerTD (22nd July 2015), Ronin (23rd July 2015), Rossco (22nd July 2015), schanmala (23rd July 2015), Winnie (22nd July 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,428 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bummer hey! Especially about those needles, that would be a nightmare and like yourself, I would have crapped myself

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

LaughingBeagles (22nd July 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that sinking feeling.
    Spent most of Sunday rewiring my driving light loom (created a new 'Super' heavy duty version) and at the end of it I turned on high beam and no driving lights. The thought of why I had wasted a day to ruin my driving lights came flashing across my mind. Very heavy feeling.

Then I realised I had not reconnected the earth to the battery. DOH! All good after that.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is the funniest thing I have read all day!! What a pissa! Glad you got it sorted mate. I would have bet my balls on there being LEDs in the dash you could replace. Clearly you didn't make that bet or your be talking in a high pitched voice about now.

Classic!

Ps. If you want pics of taking an airbag off I have a heap. Very very easy on the GUiV.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Mate, will give you a shout if I need to. Appreciate the offer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Looking for a 4WD Club in WA that caters solely for Patrol, Safari and Maverick owners? Click here to HERE to visit the Western Patrol Club. Click HERE for the Beagle Mobile Mods!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now that just brightened up me day, thanks for the larff mate

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very welcome mate

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LaughingBeagles For This Useful Post:

Clunk (23rd July 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad u posted that. I had my eyes on doing the cluster after doing the cabin lights.
    2012 GU Patrol Simpson Edition. Auto. UHF, Bull Bar, 2" lift with Koni shocks, dobinson coils. 3" stainless Steel Exhaust.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ronin For This Useful Post:

LaughingBeagles (23rd July 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the laugh.

LOLs (you know, in that calm 'duck on the pond' way - calm on the surface 100 mph under the water)
    Patrol GU8, Manual, snorkel, steel bull bar, Simpson Ed

18. The Following User Says Thank You to schanmala For This Useful Post:

LaughingBeagles (23rd July 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very welcome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast