Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Bar.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Light Bar.

Do you think if i mount a Light Bar on the top of the Bullbar it will affect the flow of air into the scoop on top of the bonnet, do i need to be concerned about it,
    Cheers
    Tonks.
    2004 GU111 4.2 TURBO WAGON, 2" OME SUSPENSION, 33" MTZ's, 3" BEAUDESERT EXHAUST, ARB ROOF RACK, ARB AWNING, BLACK WIDOW DRAW SYSTEM & CARGO BARRIER, DUAL BATTERIES, 12,000lb WINCH, GME UHF, LIGHT FORCE XGT SPOTTIES, BERRIMA DIESEL TUNE.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Every time I see one mounted above the bar this is my first thought!! It Must get in the way of air flow! Must.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Tonks (22nd July 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a video on You Tube where a guy had taped pieces of cotton yarn to his Patrol bonnet to see if he was getting air flow into the intercooler with a bull bar on. There had been speculation that no air gets forced in the factory scoop because its low and the bull bar changes the air flow. The video shows that the air flow was not disturbed and cotton pulled backwards when driving so there was air flow over the surface of the bonnet.

A similar test from someone with the light bar on top of the bull bar would be a good step to see what the affect is. I will try and find the video.

EDIT - here are a couple of videos off you tube, there are more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7GjbZWWLjU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_rfgBJPnOw
    Last edited by Rock Trol; 22nd July 2015 at 01:06 PM.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

Tonks (22nd July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    II think even a bull bar disturbs the air going to the scoop. I've filled in the gap between the bullbar and bonnet.
    Can you mount a 600mm bar in between the uprights?
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

8. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Tonks (22nd July 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You might want to check the legalities of mounting on top of the bull bar too....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Tonks (22nd July 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    I saw a video on You Tube where a guy had taped pieces of cotton yarn to his Patrol bonnet to see if he was getting air flow into the intercooler with a bull bar on. There had been speculation that no air gets forced in the factory scoop because its low and the bull bar changes the air flow. The video shows that the air flow was not disturbed and cotton pulled backwards when driving so there was air flow over the surface of the bonnet.

A similar test from someone with the light bar on top of the bull bar would be a good step to see what the affect is. I will try and find the video.

EDIT - here are a couple of videos off you tube, there are more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7GjbZWWLjU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_rfgBJPnOw
    Plenty of air flow over that bonnet.
    2004 GU111 4.2 TURBO WAGON, 2" OME SUSPENSION, 33" MTZ's, 3" BEAUDESERT EXHAUST, ARB ROOF RACK, ARB AWNING, BLACK WIDOW DRAW SYSTEM & CARGO BARRIER, DUAL BATTERIES, 12,000lb WINCH, GME UHF, LIGHT FORCE XGT SPOTTIES, BERRIMA DIESEL TUNE.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    does that gu one have a bullbar, From what I know its illegal to mount a light bar on top of a bullbar.
    Also a GU scoop will work best at speeds of 85kph and up, if you're lucky enough to have an ARE scoop
    it will work at around 65kph

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    does that gu one have a bullbar, From what I know its illegal to mount a light bar on top of a bullbar.
    Also a GU scoop will work best at speeds of 85kph and up, if you're lucky enough to have an ARE scoop
    it will work at around 65kph
    The white one does. Looks like standard Nissan steel bar. You can just make it out on another of his videos where the camera is inside the car. No light bars on top though.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding of the legalities is that lights must be in pairs and never mounted higher than the original headlights, but that's just what I've been told and from what I could find in documentation, so just my opinion! I would guess this would also alter pedestrian safety ratings if they apply to the vehicle. Seen a lot of trucks with what must be illegal lightbars running around...

As for air flow, this would certainly create disturbance in the air flow, but whether or not it would decrease the amount of airflow to the scoop would be subject to many factors, such as whether it directly blocked the airflow, speed of travel, shape and position of the lightbar etc, if you've ever seen some of the testing of convertibles and cars produced with rear wings, there are pockets of swirling air, pressure areas etc, behind rear windows, cabin areas etc. Manufacturers spend a bunch testing this, I think it would be a difficult thing to verify without testing.

I would think it was safer not to put anything in the way of the scoop as reducing airflow where the factory engineers designed it to have airflow could be bad, particularly if it reduces cooling air to an intercooler...

Test or check with someone who installs them for a living perhaps. Maybe someone on the forum can help further? Better to be safe than sorry me thinks.
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @ Patrol'n they have changed the law on light bars there is a link somewhere.
    You no longer need to mount them in pairs, but on top of the bullbar is a no no.
    in Vic anything wider than 30mm I think ,limiting you just an antenna
    Last edited by threedogs; 25th July 2015 at 02:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast