Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucky escape

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lucky escape

wp_ss_20150720_0002.pngA mate moved over for another vehicle to pass and ended up like this.
    2012 GU8

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rusty00 For This Useful Post:

AB (20th July 2015), cgm (20th July 2015), Rossco (20th July 2015), Sir Roofy (21st July 2015), Winnie (21st July 2015), Woof (21st July 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 594 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty00 View Post
    A mate moved over for another vehicle to pass and ended up like this.
    Yeh i saw this on fb the other day, looked like a fair ol' lean to! Definately something to keep in mind this weekend in Licola with the soft edges and especially if there is snow around (fingers crossed)!

Hope you got him out ok, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2008 GU6 3.0 CRD AUTO | Safari Snorkel | 2" Ironman lift kit | Runva 11XP Winch | 33" MTZ's | Full Length Roof Rack | GME TX3200 | 30" LED Light Bar |

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His wife just posted the recovery video. Original post was 24 hours ago.
    I wonder if any forum members helped with the recovery?
    Will try to load it.
    2012 GU8

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    bet you ass tightened up a little. lol. As long as everyone is safe and the vehicle is undamaged it can be chalked up to experience.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh man Rusty .... that brings back memories ....

I had to make an exact replica of this recovery up in the Big River area back a few years ago ....

I was out with a large group of guys where I only knew about half of the bunch. Some of our crew came into our camp late and in the dark, passing the stuck cruiser on the way in, saw my winch and asked me to go and drag them out, so I jumped in the car to take a look thinking this will be easy, and their cruiser looked about the same, if not a little worse - with the only thing holding their truck to the track being the front wheels sitting on the edge of the road like they were clipped into a C Channel purlin, and the rest of the weight was all over the edge .... I absolutely refused to help them on my own, as attaching my car to theirs could have been catastrophic if, in the act of winching, it decided to let go completely, and it was about 10 metres virtually straight down to the river.

I radioed our mob, and got another couple of trucks to come down down, used mine to stabilize the rear by pointing my truck at the upside of the track into the hill and snatch blocked off the base of a huge tree back to the stuck vehicle ( if it was going to slip, then it would pull my truck into the bank ), and then got them on the front, and once we had tensioned up all the lines, we slowly tensioned / released / tensioned / released, until we got it back onto firm ground. As it was, we had a huge bunch stop to watch, as we had to block the whole road to get it done and everyone who stopped got out to watch ( ... I mean help ), and it turned out to be a great training exercise in doing things safely and with order and control.

It turned out great in the end, but they were unbelievably lucky not to end up at the bottom.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

rusty00 (21st July 2015), Winnie (21st July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 6,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    Ooh man Rusty .... that brings back memories ....

I had to make an exact replica of this recovery up in the Big River area back a few years ago ....

I was out with a large group of guys where I only knew about half of the bunch. Some of our crew came into our camp late and in the dark, passing the stuck cruiser on the way in, saw my winch and asked me to go and drag them out, so I jumped in the car to take a look thinking this will be easy, and their cruiser looked about the same, if not a little worse - with the only thing holding their truck to the track being the front wheels sitting on the edge of the road like they were clipped into a C Channel purlin, and the rest of the weight was all over the edge .... I absolutely refused to help them on my own, as attaching my car to theirs could have been catastrophic if, in the act of winching, it decided to let go completely, and it was about 10 metres virtually straight down to the river.

I radioed our mob, and got another couple of trucks to come down down, used mine to stabilize the rear by pointing my truck at the upside of the track into the hill and snatch blocked off the base of a huge tree back to the stuck vehicle ( if it was going to slip, then it would pull my truck into the bank ), and then got them on the front, and once we had tensioned up all the lines, we slowly tensioned / released / tensioned / released, until we got it back onto firm ground. As it was, we had a huge bunch stop to watch, as we had to block the whole road to get it done and everyone who stopped got out to watch ( ... I mean help ), and it turned out to be a great training exercise in doing things safely and with order and control.

It turned out great in the end, but they were unbelievably lucky not to end up at the bottom.

Mic
    Yeah nice!

Good idea with the snatch block there too, the worst that could have happened was it pull your car into the tree. Better than going for a tumble!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

happygu (21st July 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just reading other face book posts, this is quite common due to rounded edges on the roads.
    Drivers get too close and just slide off.

HappyGU, great recovery and good call to get extra help.

Still trying to post up the recovery video
    2012 GU8

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2012 GU8

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty00 View Post
    I think for those who have FB, theyre going to need permission to view it. ........ well thats the message I get anyway

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, not working.
    Will try to get it sorted.
    2012 GU8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast