Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TD 4.2Ti Gas Injection ?

In about a month time I will have an opportunity to buy a 2005 4.2 Ti. Car is clean and no mods except it has gas injection... which I know sweet fark all about. Car was used to tow a dog wash trailer around. I straight away think LPG cars where some engines are just not built for LPG and cop the un-wanted heat etc... I Just do not want to finally buy a TD42 and then find out the engine got shafted due to the gas ...

The bloke whos going to be selling it, tells me it's purely for more power when gas is kicked in... And it was on the car when he bought it. From what I have seen they have removed the sub tank (diesel) and slotted a gas tank in there.
    Apart from more power, what are other pros? And more importantly any cons? Engine runs hotter ?
    2005 TD42TI

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,040 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this at here.

http://www.dieselgasaustralia.com.au/Faq.aspx

*Does the engine run hotter?

No. Since more power is being produced the engine does not have to work as hard so it will not run hotter. Exhaust gas temperatures are also cooler since there is no longer excess fuel being burnt in the exhaust system

I looked into this a few years ago when I had my other 4x4.

Guy in a 3lt surf had in his and loved it.
    Last edited by jay see; 18th July 2015 at 10:17 PM.
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (18th July 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    In about a month time I will have an opportunity to buy a 2005 4.2 Ti. Car is clean and no mods except it has gas injection... which I know sweet fark all about. Car was used to tow a dog wash trailer around. I straight away think LPG cars where some engines are just not built for LPG and cop the un-wanted heat etc... I Just do not want to finally buy a TD42 and then find out the engine got shafted due to the gas ...

The bloke whos going to be selling it, tells me it's purely for more power when gas is kicked in... And it was on the car when he bought it. From what I have seen they have removed the sub tank (diesel) and slotted a gas tank in there.
    Apart from more power, what are other pros? And more importantly any cons? Engine runs hotter ?
    first question - is it DGas or DieselGas......... - 2 quite different systems - and some will not touch one or the other - both camps say the other is crappy and cheap
    2nd question - how many Kms........?
    3rd question - how much are you willing to spend on Mods for either system......... (I will get to that later)

start to answer your own questions for you
    NO engine is specifically designed for Gas as well as Diesel
    BUT
    having the Gas will not "then find out the engine got shafted due to the gas ."
    Gas burns at 110% - so it completely burns away, as well as more of the oxygen and any other fuel in the combustion chamber
    Diesel only burns at 70-80% - so you always have a residue that will not burn away
    you DO need the Turbo & even the Intercooler to get the best out of the Diesel & Gas systems
    will the engine run hotter - actually NO
    around town driving I rarely see over 250* on the pyro - towing - it usually sits at around 350*

now, when you say "tells me it's purely for more power when gas is kicked in - depending on the system (DGas or DieselGas) depends on how it "kicks in"
    the newer generation of DGas is similar to the DieselGas, it "kicks in" at whatever Boost you have it set for
    - Mine is set at 5Lb Boost - once it hits the magic 5lb - the Gas kicks in - and boy is is fun................

they should NOT have removed the sub tank - why they did if the did is beyond me - apart from wanting to carry more Gas
    - there is usually a small 25-30L tank on the passenger front (under the seat - under the car) for the Gas......

now, for your Pro's and Con's
    Cons -
    if it wasn't already fitted, I would recommend NEVER fit it - too expensive for what it is
    pain in the arse filling up diesel, and forgetting to fill the Gas
    my filler in underneath the back bumper - so a sore back after I fill it up
    Gas is getting bloody expensive
    oil changes MUST be done at 5K - not 6 or 8K
    after awhile, you will want a bigger Turbo & bigger Intercooler to make it get up and go that little bit better...... (I know - thats what I'm looking at)
    pain in the arse filling up diesel, and forgetting to fill the Gas

pro's -
    rev's like bloody hell - all the way around to 3500rpm if you want it to
    much more usable power depending on how its setup - from 5lb - so think anywhere from 1500rpm upwards - for take offs when towing
    burns cleaner - so also helps with burning unburnt diesel
    helps with fuel economy - burning all that diesel see, so you pay at the pump for the Gas, but it helps you NOT dump unburnt fuel into the air

as its already fitted, and they are a good thing (just too expensive to fit now days) I would suggest going for it
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

mudski (18th July 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should also say - as per my sig
    I have a 1999 GU TD42
    it had the DGas system fitted - used to blow shyteloads of black smoke when on Gas (unburnt fuel) - because the Gas burns first and faster, so it was NOT an advantage
    I then fitted a Turbo & Intercooler off a 2006 TD42, and left it set at factory settings - ie: 8lb boost

next project (when funds allow) is to get it dyno'd and see if the pump needs mod, or just crank up the boost or what

but I am happy as
    with the Turbo & Intercooler I have around 116Kw (same as the ZD30 - Di & CRD)
    I have NOT had it dyno'd with the Gas running - so who know what that will be
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcol View Post
    Gas is getting bloody expensive
    Wrong

51.9 cents per liter
    30 litres = $15.57.
    Even less with the 4 cent discount.
    Last year prices hit 80 cents...
    12/97 GEE YOU

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    considering it used to be 1/4 the price of Petrol
    $0.29 for Gas when Petrol hit $1.00 per litre

I would say $0.519 cents a litre to be expensive
    there is NO GST on Gas
    there is NO fuel Parity price on Gas
    there is NO Federal Fuel Excise on Gas............

why is it nearly $0.30 dearer in Melb

oh, and its $0.729 here in Perth average

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I have spoken to people about cracking 3 pistons on my TD, the most common qustion is "Did you run that on gas too"? Not that I know much on this subject but It certainly made me think.

On an uneducated note I dont see the point of running a petrolium based fuel with a diesel, the gains from that can be achieved with decent turbo cooler and tune are just as good and sometimes better
    Last edited by Ben-e-boy; 18th July 2015 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Can't even finish sentences
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also considering that it costs on Average about $3500 - $4500 to fit Gas to your car
    and it take on average 6 years (at 40,000kms) per year to pay for itself

and thats a Petrol / Gas conversion

takes about 11 years to pay for itself on a Diesel / Gas conversion

yes, for what it is - the Gas is too expensive to fit to cars now days

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bigcol.

I think that there is some sort of tax on there.
    A few years ago the government paid $1500 for every install. They are slowly getting it all back.
    12/97 GEE YOU

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    When I have spoken to people about cracking 3 pistons on my TD, the most common qustion is "Did you run that on gas too"? Not that I know much on this subject but It certainly made me think.

On an uneducated note I dont see the point of running a petrolium based fuel with a diesel, the gains from that can be achieved with decent turbo cooler and tune

I would suggest they were also "uneducated" with a comment like that
    unless you were force feeding Gas at the same rate as Diesel

why run a petroleum based fuel with Diesel?
    burns cleaner and burns better - burns all that unburnt diesel as well - hence more efficient

having Gas injection withOUT a turbo & Intercooler is like having a box of condoms on a deserted Island - on your own
    pretty bloody useless

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast