OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eyeless snatch strap..Who makes it....

Hybrid View

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eyeless snatch strap..Who makes it....

Hi all, I am after the name of the manufacturer or a seller of a snatch strap that was around a few years ago but doesn't seem to be seen too much these days, it never had eyes at each end, all you did was loop the end through either a shackle or recovery point and fed the end back through a series of little loops on the strap itself, anyone know of this type of strap and where I might be able to get one from?

Cheers

Greg

Thanks
    Thanked 13,545 Times in 6,615 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why do you want that Greg?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi MudRunnerTD, the front "recovery point" on the Y62 is an OE one and the hole on ours is too small for a 4.7T bow shackle and the 3.2T we have goes through (well the bolt does) but it sits at an angle that I am not comfortable with in a recovery situation as the bottom of the bow hits the frame the recovery point is welded to, nissan state that we can use this for recoveries but would like to remove the shackle out of the equation and at this point in time no one does an aftermarket recovery point so that is out of the question.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gregs For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (17th July 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If there is one on each side I would use an equaliser strap with 2 3.7t shackles and your snatch in the middle.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    If there is one on each side I would use an equaliser strap with 2 3.7t shackles and your snatch in the middle.
    Yeah there is one on each side but they are tie down points only and face backwards, so won't be using these in any recovery. The centre point is the only one facing forwards. It is a really weird setup nissan have gone with on the Y62, but hopefully someone will come up with aftermarket recovery points.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can you post a pic of it for my interest. You may be able to use a Soft Shackle depending on what the point looks like.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Can you post a pic of it for my interest. You may be able to use a Soft Shackle depending on what the point looks like.
    Will see how I go tomorrow and try to get a pic.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gregs For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (18th July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What MR said... Will one of these work?
    http://www.softshackle.com/Shopping-cart.html

They are extremely strong and very easy to use.
    Can be a tad hard to make depending on your skills and the reason they cost a bit is because they use a suprising amount of rope to manuf.
    Just need to watch out for sharp edges on the attachement points

They are the 'Ducks Guts' for joining straps, bridles etc as there is nothing to jam or bind or whatever
    Last edited by the evil twin; 18th July 2015 at 01:33 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

gregs (19th July 2015), threedogs (24th July 2015)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it looks like I can get a 3.2T bow shackle through the front point (It was dark and I obviously wasn't trying hard enough ) but it catches on the front guard under the bullbar, only just but it will be enough to scare the crap out of you if it got caught and went bang in a recovery, it wouldn't cause any damage apart from probably bending the guard a fraction but it could be bent back easily or I might just cut out a section of the plate to allow the bow shackle to move a bit more freely. Or as has been suggested get a soft shackle, just have to watch the sharp edge under the front guard, I reckon I could probably get away with putting a piece of high density water hose (with a split down the middle) over the sharp edge when it is needed.
    Here is a couple of pics of the recovery point and the tie down points. The first 5 are of the recovery point. The next 4 are of the tie down points that face backwards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Soft Shackle for sure mate

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

gregs (19th July 2015)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast