Thread: Telstra Plan Ending

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Would also depend on the phone you use too, some are better in rural areas than others and some are just shit
    Yeah that’s true. My ’Telstra Dave’ (ZTE T83) phone has a ‘blue tick’ which is supposed to indicate ‘for rural use’, (& has provision to plug in an external antenna if needed - have never used it yet, but will in the future). The important point though was that the geographical coverage for the Aldi mirrors that of Telstra plans & if fast data isn’t needed it offers an effective & low cost pre-paid service.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies people, I'll just clarify a few points.

Telstra have sent me a three page letter to advise me 'Our 2G (GSM) 900MHz Network is being discontinued......... If you have SIM cards and/or devices that only operate on the 2G network they will stop working on 1 December.... Our records indicate that you have 1 service that will be affected.) etc. So yes it is stopping and they have told me to get a new plan and sim.

I have a 'blue tick' approved ZTE T100 phone, cheap and robust and I also have an external aerial on the Patrol - reception is brilliant compared to my Samsung in poor areas. When traveling I divert my home phone to the mobile number.
    Also the Telstra plan allows free calls from my wifes mobile to the home phone, so basically free to my mobile via the divert. Pre paid plans don't allow this.

The other main reason I really like the $10 plan it allows you to use it in a satellite phone, plus the good coverage compared to other providers.

I don't know if the Aldi or other Telstra plans allow this, that was may main question.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t...RK/ba-p/440992

Also I see in the Aldi coverage detail: 'Outside the 3G coverage footprint, customers will revert to 2G coverage and speeds.' wonder what will happen when 2G is discontinued by Telstra?
    Last edited by jack; 16th July 2015 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Added link
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollofish View Post
    Thanks for the replies people, I'll just clarify a few points.

Telstra have sent me a three page letter to advise me 'Our 2G (GSM) 900MHz Network is being discontinued......... If you have SIM cards and/or devices that only operate on the 2G network they will stop working on 1 December.... Our records indicate that you have 1 service that will be affected.) etc. So yes it is stopping and they have told me to get a new plan and sim.

I have a 'blue tick' approved ZTE T100 phone, cheap and robust and I also have an external aerial on the Patrol - reception is brilliant compared to my Samsung in poor areas. When traveling I divert my home phone to the mobile number.
    Also the Telstra plan allows free calls from my wifes mobile to the home phone, so basically free to my mobile via the divert. Pre paid plans don't allow this.

The other main reason I really like the $10 plan it allows you to use it in a satellite phone, plus the good coverage compared to other providers.

I don't know if the Aldi or other Telstra plans allow this, that was may main question.
    I understand that Telstra's 2G Network will be closed on 1st December 2016

See this
    https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/...RK/ba-p/440992

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:

jack (16th July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I reckon there would be a good chance if a Telstra sim works the Aldi one will to.
    ET if you PM me your address, next time I’m in Aldi I’ll get a starter sim & send it to you..... unless you have an Aldi near you? .
    Great idea Cuppa, I'm happy to pay postage if that helps I see you can order these online and includes free postage.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon there would be a good chance if a Telstra sim works the Aldi one will to.
    ET if you PM me your address, next time I’m in Aldi I’ll get a starter sim & send it to you..... unless you have an Aldi near you?

Apollofish - definitely do not rely on what Telstra sales people say. They were adamant that an Aldi sim would not work where we lived previously, telling me it would only have limited range outside of towns. T’was absolute rubbish, worked perfectly. Mudnut was impressed when I was able to use my phone up on the Murray during the cod fishing weekend. Others had no signal.
    My experience with the Aldi version of Telstra is it does not have the full coverage that Telstra Telstra (!) has. eg on a recent trip along the Transcontinental Railway line Telstra Telstra phones has coverage, same across the Eyre Highway, my Aldi Telstra didn't, check the Aldi coverage map against the Telstra coverage map. Also with the Aldi sim you cannot get international roaming turned on, hence can't use the sim in a Sat phone.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

jack (16th July 2015)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calls 12c per min on Aldi

We can call overseas with our Amaysim service that also cost 12 c per minute with $15 auto top ups. Not sure of Aust wide coverage but so far so go. Try one of their $5 sims in your sat phone Get them at 7 11 sevos
    Last edited by Chimo; 16th July 2015 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    jack to be honest mate, i would be kicking up a stink. tell em how long you have been a paying customer and that they are treating you like dirt. ALL their plans are negitiable but they wont tell you that. ask for them to match a plan like what you currently have dont let them know you actually need to use them but tell them that you want to use them. at the end of the day your not talking to them to make friends, i would kick up a stink and kick and whinge and try to get anything out of them to bring the plan down to being similar to your current plan. even make mention of the TIO(Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman) and that you MAY make a complaint, whether you have a leg to stand on with them is not your concern its just about getting the person on the other end of the line nervous enough to give you as much as they actually can to get rid of you haha. good luck with it mate!
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

jack (16th July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ET if you PM me your address, next time I’m in Aldi I’ll get a starter sim & send it to you..... unless you have an Aldi near you?
    Thats an awesome offer Cuppa (Aldi will be here in WA soon but none as yet) so thanks heaps but don't worry about it at the moment.

The only Telstra Plan and Sim that is non-satellite specific that I have ever gotten to work in an Irridium Phone is that $10 one.

All of my other Telstra Sims (work and private and some of them are BIG call/data packs) will not succesfully complete the Irridium log on process.
    Once upon a time if you activated international roaming on post paid accounts some of the Sims would but not anymore.

Because of the $10 one working and a lack of interest as I don't use any Satellite uplinks anymore for work I haven't been on the Satellite forums for ages to keep up with the gossip and hacks.
    I'll try there first if my Sim stops logging on Irridium, mainly 'cause I'm a lazy old fart and it's heaps easier if someone else has already had the required brain explosions trying to get it working
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12