Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telstra Plan Ending

Hello,

We have a $10 plan with Telstra that's in the wifes mobile. Emergency use only so nice and cheap as it's free to call the home phone. (No data included and calls are expensive).
    I have access to a satellite phone and was going to use this sim as explained by ET in this thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ight=satellite

Just been advised by Telstra that as it's 2G the $10 plan is ending and I need to go onto a new 4G plan, had a look at the Telstra website and cheapest is $35 p/m. Anyone aware of a cheaper Telstra plan that would work with the sat phone? And yes I have to use Telstra as the coverage is reliable.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look at Aldi mobile, they use Telstra (don't cover the whole remote Telstra network), check Aldi website for their coverage. A starter sim is $5, top up with a $15 recharge and you have 12 months to use the $20 credit, calls @ 12c / 30 seconds, cheap and reliable and works well for me.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

jack (15th July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    Have a look at Aldi mobile, they use Telstra (don't cover the whole remote Telstra network), check Aldi website for their coverage. A starter sim is $5, top up with a $15 recharge and you have 12 months to use the $20 credit, calls @ 12c / 30 seconds, cheap and reliable and works well for me.
    Thanks for that TimE, I did look at that previously but really need to stick with Telstra for the better coverage. Main issue is also the ability to use the sim card in the Sat phone. Telstra won't discontinue the plan for some time so I have time to try and find a replacement.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go into a store or call up. I was told my a Telstra rep the website deliberately doesn't advertise all available plans, but if you go into a store you'll be able to get a list of them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Throbbinhood For This Useful Post:

jack (15th July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,432 Times in 3,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    My understanding is that the Aldi coverage is actually exactly the same as Telstra nationwide, but the difference is that it only uses 3g not 4g. This is info from full time grey nomads. I also use Aldi because of the long expiry date & optimum coverage. Easy recharge using the phone. I’d recommend it too Apollofish, especially just for calls/emergency use.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

jack (15th July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... bloody Telstra.
    I've depended on that plan a couple of times now.
    The mobile sits in the truck for Emergency calls and if no terrestrial coverage I whip out the sim, wack it in the Sat Phone and your connected

No "back door" pre-paids work on Irridium to my knowledge and would be gobsmacked if an Aldi one did and Telstra didn't, but if someone wants to try it please post up the results
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,432 Times in 3,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon there would be a good chance if a Telstra sim works the Aldi one will to.
    ET if you PM me your address, next time I’m in Aldi I’ll get a starter sim & send it to you..... unless you have an Aldi near you?

Apollofish - definitely do not rely on what Telstra sales people say. They were adamant that an Aldi sim would not work where we lived previously, telling me it would only have limited range outside of towns. T’was absolute rubbish, worked perfectly. Mudnut was impressed when I was able to use my phone up on the Murray during the cod fishing weekend. Others had no signal.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I reckon there would be a good chance if a Telstra sim works the Aldi one will to.
    ET if you PM me your address, next time I’m in Aldi I’ll get a starter sim & send it to you..... unless you have an Aldi near you?

Apollofish - definitely do not rely on what Telstra sales people say. They were adamant that an Aldi sim would not work where we lived previously, telling me it would only have limited range outside of towns. T’was absolute rubbish, worked perfectly. Mudnut was impressed when I was able to use my phone up on the Murray during the cod fishing weekend. Others had no signal.
    Would also depend on the phone you use too, some are better in rural areas than others and some are just shit

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a look at the Telstra pre paid options in their app, which I believe lists all their pre paid options.
    They still have reasonably cheap plans, $30-$100 recharge will last 6 months.
    I couldn't view the costs for calls or texts though, so they could (and I dare say would) be a bit expensive, but it should still be okay for an emergency phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Owned nothing but SWB Patrols
    '84 Red MK SD33T SWB, 31" A/T's, bullbar, spotties
    '86 Silver MK L28 SWB, 31" muddies, bullbar, steel canopy
    '86 White MK SD33T SWB, 31" A/T's, ARB bullbar, spotties, steel canopy
    '85 Silver MK SD33 SWB 31" A/T's, bullbar, light bar, 2" lift, snorkel

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,325 Times in 6,444 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So Telstra told you they are canning the plan? Or is it just the end of the plan for you guys? And Telstra won't let you continue? My wife had a $10 plan from iiNet, been on it for years, and the plan had been dropped by iiNet some 4 years ago. But as it had expired back then, they just kept her on the same plan/ $10 per month until we decided to upgrade. Not sure if this is the case with Telstra.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast