OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Low Power (Turbo, MAF, Swirl control?)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low Power (Turbo, MAF, Swirl control?)

Hi I have a ZD30 Direct injection GUIII. When I start up everything is running fine but when I take off it's a different story. When I started pulling it apart the intercooler was full of oil same with the air induction. Was originally blowing smoke like mad, I have changed MAF, new aftermarket intercooler(old one was leaking) catch can, air cleaner, blocked EGR and new vacuum lines. This didn't fix the power issue only the smoke has gone away. Haven't installed EGT gauge yet but boost gauge is not showing boost when driving. On the throttle body intake air control actuator is moving and working, VNC actuator on the turbo is working and moving so I would guess the VNC solenoid is working. I have noticed swirl control actuator is not moving plus I don't know much about how the swirl works. All I could guess that it could be something with the swirl control or the boost sensor on the intercooler??? Boost gauge line runs off the intercooler just under the boost sensor. I have removed the gauge to test it and it works.

The mods that I have also done are Redback 3in system and tunit chip. Any help would be great as this is doing my head in.

intercooler.JPG
    Last edited by Marty73; 13th July 2015 at 06:42 PM. Reason: adding pic

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gday marty and welcome mudski is your man he will be along soon. but where have you connected your boost gauge to a picture would be better, I have a idea that you have a boost problem going by your exhaust but as I said mudski will sort it. and put up a pic
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin07 For This Useful Post:

Marty73 (13th July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you need a Dawes and needle valve fitted ,
    so YOU can controll the boost and spool up rate
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have removed the gauge to test it. But its mounted just under the boost sensor on the intercooler. I'm having issue's loading a pic.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,285 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey mate. You haven't got the vac hoses ass about to the swirl valve and shut down valve by any chance? Could be a number of things. When was the fuel filter last changed? If your not getting boost it points to a boost leak, split hose or loose clamp maybe. If you rev the motor and you see the actuator move i would assume there is no vacuum leaks.
    You've change vac lines, you will need to double check if there are on where they are supposed to be. There is two solenoids on the front right of the motor which control the swirl and shut down butterflies. From memory, when looking at the motor, the solenoid on the left is the one for the swirl. Id have to check but i think thats the one.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Marty73 (14th July 2015)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mudski I have re-checked the vacuum lines and they are ok. When I changed them I did them one by one. When I lost my boost I removed my intercooler to find it leaking at the ends and full of oil. Intercooler has since been changed the MAF was also changed. All of the other hoses are ok and tight and the fuel filter was changed a few months ago. Unless my wife has run the tank with the fuel light on and this has somehow sucked air into the lines
    The actuator on the turbo moves when you give it a boot full of revs. The intake air actuator moves when you shut down but the swirl when does nothing at all even when revving the motor. All I can think of if the intercooler was full of oil it could have stuffed up the boost sensor? I did give it a good clean with maf cleaner. The only other thing I can think off is could it also be the vnc solenoid not playing the game correctly?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Try using the old maf. You may have a dud new one.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The swirl control is on the back side, or closest to the firewall. Its normally fully openwhen engine is off.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mudski; 14th July 2015 at 08:34 PM.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have no boost, you have no power! Check with engine running at idle that VNT actuator raises up against stop screw and stays up! If it fluctuates up/down at idle you have vacuum leak hence no full vanes opening causing no boost.

Swirl valve is closed at idle and opens when RPMs are above 1200.

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rumcajs; 14th July 2015 at 08:34 PM.