User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EGR catch can???

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Provent 200 is the Ducks guts of catch cans .
    The price of excellence is dicipline , the cost of mediocrity is dissapointment .

2. The Following User Says Thank You to boots For This Useful Post:

rusty00 (14th July 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think EGR removal is not illegal for a straight LPG car, but I need a confirmation on that.

EGR removal wasn't a complicated thing in my RB30 carby Patrol. But, some diesel and other fuel injected, ECU driven cars,
    it may worth doing some homework before removing it.
    I think the EGR system, especially the valve is PITA, 'cos it can wear out, block etc, lot quicker than other vacuum diaphragms, valves. I think any non ECU controlled EGR systems are a real PITA.
    With ECU controlled EGR systems, I reckon it's better to do bit of home work to find out how integrated the EGR to the engine stability, before removing/blocking it. Rather than removing it, blocking it from intake and exhaust ends and plugging the vacuum lines to the EGR valve is probably the best approach.
    Last edited by dom14; 12th July 2015 at 11:51 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

rusty00 (14th July 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone done this????

With ECU controlled EGR systems, I reckon it's better to do bit of home work to find out how integrated the EGR to the engine stability, before removing/blocking it. Rather than removing it, blocking it from intake and exhaust ends and plugging the vacuum lines to the EGR valve is probably the best approach.
    2012 GU8

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,320 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On the zd and td's you just use a blanking plate. 10 minute job...

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty00 View Post
    Hi All,

Most probably a silly question but,

Just wondering is it possible to have a catch can type set up off the EGR valve to stop the sludge build up or am I way off track?
    Also do you need to block it off on the CDR 2012 motors?
    Sludge built up is not caused by EGR or exhaust gasses. It is the result of crankcase gases mix with engine oil being sucked in/recirculated back in to intake where it layers/cakes on.

Exhaust gases don't contain any oil vapour in them, if they did oil would burn and cause even more pollution.

So having oil mist separator from exhaust gases would be kinda pointless.

EGR/SCR/DPF/DOC technologies are "user pays or penalties" for diesel engine efficiency gone haywire. The more efficient the combustion the more pollution! So EGR acts like a brake/retarder on the combustion process by displacing the amount of available oxygen for combustion thus reducing peak combustion temperatures therefore reducing the really ugley result of the Rudolph Diesel engine invention, the formation of NOx pollutants which are even worse then CO/CO2 and PM (particulate matter). SCR/DPF/DOC are exhaust gases filtering/cleaning technologies and don't actually affect the engine itself just the exhaust part. Sadly though, EGR is here to stay.....All these techs are expensive to maintain so buying such equipped vehicle is not a smart proposition.

What the engine makers aren't telling is that the cost of dealing with the pollution has been shifted on to you the consumer! Instead of developing cleaner alternatives (which they would have to invest a lot of cash) they're saving the fortune while selling you a crap.
    While the oil companies making even more obscene profits.

The sludge in the intake manifold is just a consequence of cost cutting and inadequately designed engine/crankcase breathers.

B/R
    Last edited by Rumcajs; 15th July 2015 at 08:56 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

dom14 (17th July 2015), rusty00 (14th July 2015), Sir Roofy (15th July 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks B/R this type of information is awesome.
    I didn't know any of this stuff and helps with understand the systems.
    2012 GU8

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    block it off, CRD or not it will eventually clog up ur intake and fuck ur motor.
    also be aware that injectors usually have a life span of around 150 thou.
    being CRD as soon as the spray pattern is affected u will slowly loose power.
    and incorrect spray will not completely burn and if the egr valve is open it will push it around to ur intake and get stuck on the walls.
    its a vicious cycle haha

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dysonest For This Useful Post:

rusty00 (15th July 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    On the zd and td's you just use a blanking plate. 10 minute job...
    I made my own blanking plate with a piece of a tin. But, I also removed EGR pipe & blocked exhaust side of the hole with a threaded bolt.($5 from Nuts & Bolts store). I didn't wanna remove it 'cos having it or not having it isn't that crucial to RB30 engine, other than the emission control. The pipe was cracked from the exhaust end and was giving me crap all the time.
    And it's slack arsse design by Nissan the damn pipe was getting in the way of doing anything on the backside of the engine.
    After a while, the exhaust side pipe pretty much get welded to the exhaust from the heat, and it's almost impossible to remove it. I had to use a pipe wrench and a long pipe attached to it to generate enough torque to undo it. Also, I had to pin the exhaust manifold under a wheel of the vehicle to hold it still, so I could remove it. Never again. It's a PITA design by Nissan, simply to marginally satisfy the EPA, but leave all the crap with the vehicle owner & the poor mechanic who would have to go through all the crap as well.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post

EGR/SCR/DPF/DOC technologies are "user pays or penalties" for diesel engine efficiency gone haywire. The more efficient the combustion the more pollution! So EGR acts like a brake/retarder on the combustion process by displacing the amount of available oxygen for combustion thus reducing peak combustion temperatures therefore reducing the really ugley result of the Rudolph Diesel engine invention, the formation of NOx pollutants which are even worse then CO/CO2 and PM (particulate matter). SCR/DPF/DOC are exhaust gases filtering/cleaning technologies and don't actually affect the engine itself just the exhaust part. Sadly though, EGR is here to stay.....All these techs are expensive to maintain so buying such equipped vehicle is not a smart proposition.

What the engine makers aren't telling is that the cost of dealing with the pollution has been shifted on to you the consumer! Instead of developing cleaner alternatives (which they would have to invest a lot of cash) they're saving the fortune while selling you a crap.
    While the oil companies making even more obscene profits.
    B/R
    Non of this bullxx emission control technologies are necessary if we've switched to more environmentally friendly fuels. The petrol engine is good 150 years or so old. Diesel engine is not too far from that.
    Yet, we are still stuck with these ancient technology thanks to the greediness of the oil companies.
    If enough resources were put into Hydrogen and Ethanol, most of these passenger cars would be running on them by now. It's no science fiction. We landed on the moon almost half a century ago. And what was the fuel used on those rockets?
    Our vehicles and engines are fine. They just need a tweak in technology and getting rid of the old dirty fuel technology.
    Imagine if we had run out of fossil fuels by this time as it was predicted back in 60's.
    What would we do?
    Of course, we would've found a way to improve solar, hydrogen, ethanol, geothermal, wind, etc etc technologies.
    We wouldn't go back to horse carriers, carts & push bikes, would we?
    Hydrogen and Oxygen is the most abundant(water and air), yet we are still suffering.
    It's technology gone inthe wrong economical and environmental direction thanks to the bad version of capitalism that we've allowed the big oil companies to operate.
    Try inventing an efficient electric car or a solar car or an ethanol car or even a hydrogen car.
    You'll be crushed like a bug in no time.
    And I'm not being conspiracy theoretical. There's lot of truth in it.
    Last edited by dom14; 17th July 2015 at 02:21 AM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

rusty00 (28th February 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty00 View Post
    Has anyone done this????

Shhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Don't tell the EPA. We've all done that. There's no EGR out there that's not blocked.
    Just a piece of hard tin, drill & and a metal cutter/grinder is all you need. Stuff you already have in your tool box. Or buy a blocking plate off fleabay. Use a bit of silicon on the blocking plate(or a piece of exhaust gasket paper).
    Last edited by dom14; 17th July 2015 at 02:39 AM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12