Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Driving on front wheels only

Hey guys,
    I've been wondering...............
    In case of a drama like the rear diff blows up, is it possible to drive on front wheels only for some decent distance??!!
    If so, how long do you think a GQ patrol can be driven that way and how fast can we safely go?

I'm speculating on a temporary solution like disconnecting the rear drive shaft, letting the rear wheels turn without
    the drive train
    I'm not too sure whether it's possible when blown diff is the cause of it(or blown pinion bearing, etc rather).
    I know the pinion gear and ring gear failure is rare in Patrols. It would most likely a bearing failure.

Since there's no hub connect/disconnect arrangement in rear, when the wheels turn, the axle and the diff would
    turn as well.
    So, perhaps the diff would keep turning like it's coasting, with minimal noise, unlike when the drive
    shaft is connected to the damaged or worn diff???!!

Any ideas?
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible to drive on front wheels only if necessary, however there are not many instances where this would be beneficial in a Patrol i would reckon. The main reason to do this in my opinion would be to isolate the tail shaft if there was a problem and take it out. If rear diff has issues it will still be spinning, i know with no load but still have potential to go bang or lock up. Wheel bearings can't be isolated and axles can't be removed like full floating type in yotas. Driving in 4wd carefully might be an option to help take load off. Depend on the situation i guess. Bent or broken lower control arm this will help or potentialy a situation to concider to drive with front wheels only carefully to get out of the poo.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many years back a mate with a Perado (thanks Jase) blew a rear diff in the bush. We pulled the diff out and removed the crown wheel (it was just about toothless), reassembled and he drove home on the front wheels, about 150ks.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also many years ago, we were camped on Double Island beach when this young couple walked in to camp about 7pm in the rain. They were on their honeymoon.
    He was a mechanic and as usual his own car was the last one to be worked on. The unis on rear tail shaft had seized so no way to get back to Noosa.
    We gave them a feed and a couple of drinks and when the rain stopped and with a bit of help and borrowed tools from us drunken idiots, he dropped tail shaft and drove down the beach in front wheel drive to return next morning with a carton of XXXX.
    I think it was a Jeep but not sure.
    I bet they still remember that trip.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the posts guys.

So far from what I understood, I reckon it is possible with a GQ with some caution.
    The biggest problem with GQ is the axle is a semi floating one.
    Which means the axle can't be removed without the aid of a hydraulic press.
    I've been having enough trouble trying to remove the bearing nut which I couldn't get it off even with
    heavy banging with a drift.(some 350Nm torque on it, but I reckon way more than that in my one).
    So, unless there's a clever backyard method to get the bearing off the axle, I reckon the only solution
    is to cut the axle with a hacksaw or a grinder. But if the problem with the diff doesn't cause it to lock,
    then there's a good chance driving for a decent distance by removing the rear drive shaft.

Am I right about that?

Another solution would be to pull the diff centre out and remove the crown wheel as TimE mentioned above.
    That's also possible with a Patrol, is it not?
    That's probably the least damaging solution in such a situation.
    Am I right about that?

Yes, there's no doubt the right tools are necessary. But, most of us carry some tools in the back of the fourby anyway.
    The above mechanic fella who was in his honeymoon was an exception(or may be not, he was in a too happy mood to
    carry any tools with him I reckon)

Thanx
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post

was in a too happy mood to
    carry any tools with him I reckon)

Thanx
    I think he was only concerned about using one tool that weekend. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live life, Love life.
    Snatch straps on towballs can harm and/or kill!!!!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krbrooking View Post
    I think he was only concerned about using one tool that weekend. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep, obviously too excited to remember even that one tool might need backup tools from the tool box to get going.
    He wasn't the only one who's too euphoric to remember the value of the backup tools though.
    I'm sure we all done that.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest problem with GQ is the axle is a semi floating one.
    Which means the axle can't be removed without the aid of a hydraulic press.
    I've been having enough trouble trying to remove the bearing nut which I couldn't get it off even with
    heavy banging with a drift.(some 350Nm torque on it, but I reckon way more than that in my one).
    So, unless there's a clever backyard method to get the bearing off the axle, I reckon the only solution
    is to cut the axle with a hacksaw or a grinder. But if the problem with the diff doesn't cause it to lock,
    then there's a good chance driving for a decent distance by removing the rear drive shaft.

Am I right about that?

Another solution would be to pull the diff centre out and remove the crown wheel as TimE mentioned above.
    That's also possible with a Patrol, is it not?
    That's probably the least damaging solution in such a situation.
    Am I right about that?

Thanx
    GQ or GU or anything else, you can't remove diff centre unless you remove axle shafts first! So for semi floating hubs this is not on the side of the road fix in the hurry and you have to refit them back in after the diff centre is removed in order to be able to refit and roll on the wheels. I'll rather pay for the tow truck or shred the diff instead than do this on the side of the road or in the middle of desert.

If you have full floating hubs than it is much easier, if you want the diff not to spin just pull the axle shafts out (or just one if open diff) plug the holes with rag or tape them and disconnect rear prop shaft and drive with front drive only as long as you like.

Cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but paying for a tow truck may not be a luxury in the middle of the desert or far out nowhere.
    So I think the time spent on pulling out both axles and then pulling out the diff centre and removing the crown wheel
    is well spent.
    Full floating axle is not a luxury in Patrols(at least in GQ).
    I wonder why Nissan decided to do it that way.
    Semi floating axles are PITA IMO. Very hard to replace the bearing without special tools,
    let alone removing the axles in an emergency situation like above.

So, removing the crown wheel sound like a good solution to prevent the diff from getting locked from existing damage.

So, if I understood correctly,
    Assuming calling for roadside assistance is out of question in a particular situation,
    For a GQ Patrol,
    Removing the diff centre and then removing the crown wheel and then driving on front wheels is a valid solution to get
    the vehicle to somewhere where you can get the diff fixed.

Am I right about that?
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but paying for a tow truck may not be a luxury in the middle of the desert or far out nowhere.
    I'll rather have it skull dragged out to nearest tow truck pick up...

So I think the time spent on pulling out both axles and then pulling out the diff centre and removing the crown wheel
    is well spent.
    Have you ever done such thing as removing diff centre? I think you'd reconsider the "time well spent" especially in the middle of the desert, its bad enough job in the workshop ....

Unless you are at CSR, spending 2 days removing and refitting the rear diff centre with countless opportunities for stuff ups or fails

Full floating axle is not a luxury in Patrols(at least in GQ).I wonder why Nissan decided to do it that way.
    Its cheaper and not really needed for the GVM loads.... leaf sprung GUs with H260 have full floating hubs.

Semi floating axles are PITA IMO. Very hard to replace the bearing without special tools,
    let alone removing the axles in an emergency situation like above.
    Well, there you are, answering your own question.

So, removing the crown wheel sound like a good solution to prevent the diff from getting locked from existing damage.

So, if I understood correctly,
    Assuming calling for roadside assistance is out of question in a particular situation,
    For a GQ Patrol,
    Removing the diff centre and then removing the crown wheel and then driving on front wheels is a valid solution to get
    the vehicle to somewhere where you can get the diff fixed.

Am I right about that?
    Only if you are really really desperate and out of all options.....I'm a pro and honestly I'd have refused to be that desperate, rather yank the fuel hose off and strike a match......... I like my Patrol but it is not worth that much pain....

In any case this scenario is almost impossible on Patrol GQ or GU alike, it only applies to Swiss cheese diffs from Toyota and their owners are known to be desperate so is it really GQ you are concerned about?

B/R
    Last edited by Rumcajs; 1st July 2015 at 10:11 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

dom14 (2nd July 2015)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast