User Tag List

Thread: Cranking battery

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cranking battery

Hi all, I am just wondering which battery you use for a starter and how long they have lasted.

I had the RAA around today to replace the battery on my Stato and I asked the guy to test the cranker on the Patrol. It's a 3.5 year old Century Overlander (760 CCA) that has not been started since Tuesday. The test results only indicated 550 CCA of power and he advised to replace it. I am wondering if it's nearing its use by date and I should replace or just use a charger (I do this regularly anyway) and see how long it lasts.

What do you guys use and how long do they last?
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd consider changing it soon ish if you dont carry a way of boosting the battery, you can get small boosters for about 90, charge your phone as well ... found amaron to be a pretty good replacement.
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garett View Post
    i'd consider changing it soon ish if you dont carry a way of boosting the battery, you can get small boosters for about 90, charge your phone as well ... found amaron to be a pretty good replacement.
    Have not heard of Ameron before. Might look them up. I have a second battery under bonnet and can use jumper cables to start it in an emergence. Then again, I don't want the hassle of having to do this at an inconvenient time. How long have the Amerons lasted?
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garett View Post
    Hey Garett,
    Last year, I was onto building my own boost pack with super capacitors. Then I got busy.
    Super capacitor boost packs are pretty light and a handy gadget to have around.
    Have a look at these ones.
    These super caps from China are pretty cheap, but not sure if they of any good quality.
    Maxwell ones are usually good stuff, but not as cheap(but they last for a long time from the reviews I read)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6pcs-Farad-C...-/121644523631

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxwell-D-Ce...-/281173041415

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-super-ca...80193143&rt=nc

Building your own boost pack is always lot cheaper & pretty fun exercise to do.
    The only thing is that super caps are pretty voltage sensitive.
    Supplying anymore than 3V can kill a super capacitor. But, it's not likely to happen with automotive use, unless in a rare occasion
    alternator regulator fails in a way pumping 20+ volts out of it.
    Now there appear to be cheaper ones from China, I'll give it a go.
    Anybody wants to join me?
    I find super capacitors are an amazing invention. Only 2.7V, but can store amazing 500F in a single D battery size capacitor.
    I reckon, batteries will go obsolete in many applications 'cos of super capacitors.
    It only take few seconds to fully charge a super capacitor boost pack.
    Even with 120A alternator, a battery can take a while to charge.

Another thing about super capacitor booster packs is that they can crank an engine start on it's own without the need of lead acid battery. As soon as the engine starts the booster pack gets recharged instantly. But, I wouldn't use a super capacitor booster pack as a main cranking battery yet. Another thing is it's so light, you can iift the pack with the little finger.
    Super capacitor booster packs will definitely replace cranking batteries at one stage, once they become cheaper enough, 'cos it will allow to pack quite a few capacitors in series and parallel to make up a cranking battery equivalent CCA(cold cranking amp) capacity or rather the AH(amp hour capacity). Only thing I'm sure about is that it won't replace deep cycle batteries anytime soon though.
    Cheers
    Dom
    Last edited by dom14; 5th July 2015 at 05:19 AM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the amaron battery was at least 2 years old when the car came in 4 years ago and its still going. another i put in a golf 5-6 years ago and it still going.
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine changes start and aux battery every two years, he travels outback once a year.
    Last thing he wants is battery failure.
    You could remove your batteries every now and then and clean them with warm soapy water
    Also make sure all connections are right,, a squirt with some kind of battery post spray.
    4 years in a 4x4 is a good run. cold weather will show up a failing start battery.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a good run with Supercharge both here ( in Perth ) and in NZ, Warranty's are good and they are built well.
    Amaron's seemed pretty good, sold a few in the past and only had minimal returns.
    Personally i will be swapping mine out with a Marine starting battery as they are built to handle alot more vibration and being knocked around a little more.
    Since a common lead acid only has the plates secured from the top the bottom can swing/move under heavy vibration, marine run a double plate lock to help reduce vibration damage

my 2c

Macka

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    my start battery is a 750CCA AC Delco sealed, and on the turbo side
    I run a Trojan 115 AH wet cell battery the help keep temps down I have
    Turbo beanie fitted with good results
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Optima bluetop or similar spiral core batteries give out a decent CCA as well as good with shock resistance.
    They are dual purpose batteries.
    Spiral core batteries usually have higher CCA rating, comparing to similar size standard core batteries.
    My next battery will be an Optima or similar one.

Another thing to consider are calcium batteries. They are apparently good with heat resistance when installed under the bonnet
    on turbo engine bays.

A good place to read about batteries is,

http://batteryuniversity.com/

One thing I do to extend the battery life is to charge it once a month with a multi stage charger or pulse charger. I strongly believe it extends the battery life.
    Another solution is to install a multi stage charger under the bonnet, but they are not that cheap.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CTEK-D250...-/321788058524

Only thing C-Tek output is limited to 20A. Also it is heat sensitive. If installed under bonnet, better to cover with a heat shield or install inside the car.
    Last edited by dom14; 5th July 2015 at 04:58 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I did a recon with the ctek today so hope that helps it. The second battery is an agm that's charged by a redarc bcdc so hope that helps it. The starter is a calcium battery (century overland 4wd). I guess nearing four years is pretty good as the car has done some very rough km's. Battery still starts car ok but can sometimes tell its down on power. I charge regularly with ctek but on normal mode.