User Tag List

Thread: Ghost in my fuel gauge

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ghost in my fuel gauge

Hey guys having a issue with my 2000 GU fuel gauge. Yesterday it showed 1/4 tank got about 2km down road and it dropped to nearly empty and I could see it still dropping freaking out I pulled over thinking I sprung a leak. When I started the car again Gaye went back up to 1/4 then 5 mins later dropped again so I stopped at the nearest servo and topped up. Gauge went up and to just under half as I only put in 20 bucks worth. Drove the rest of way to work then home then back to work again and gauge didn't move. Filled it up today as pay day and done a bit of driving and the gauge has not budged from full. Seems to go up when I put fuel in but doesn't go down as I use it. Could it be the sender or gauge itself
    GU DX Cab Chassis TD42t non intercooled, 3 inch lift, genuine steel winch bar, 33" Pro Comp All Terrains , 3"turbo back exhaust, Icom IC 400pro UHF, 12inch LED light bar, 42" light bar
    Future mods: Intercooler, more boost, dual batteries, drop links for sway bar

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It might be worth checking the connections at both ends. Possibly the sensor has an open circuit in the resistor winding.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (4th July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had similar problems with mine (in a gq though). I found that there was heaps of mud built up around where the wires went into the tank. Once I cleaned it all the guage went back to normal. It probably means there's something that needs attention in the wiring there but for now it's working!
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvpsi View Post
    Hey guys having a issue with my 2000 GU fuel gauge. Yesterday it showed 1/4 tank got about 2km down road and it dropped to nearly empty and I could see it still dropping freaking out I pulled over thinking I sprung a leak. When I started the car again Gaye went back up to 1/4 then 5 mins later dropped again so I stopped at the nearest servo and topped up. Gauge went up and to just under half as I only put in 20 bucks worth. Drove the rest of way to work then home then back to work again and gauge didn't move. Filled it up today as pay day and done a bit of driving and the gauge has not budged from full. Seems to go up when I put fuel in but doesn't go down as I use it. Could it be the sender or gauge itself
    I'm not 100% sure with the GU but in the GQ there is an inspection hatch in the rear of the cargo area, you can unbolt a little cover to gain access to the fuel sender.
    Pull it out if you can and see if the float is falling down with gravity or is it sticking. Check the wires while you're there too.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same issue since I got my 260. It showed 3/4 when full, and completely empty when there actually was 3/4 left. The whole instrument-panel was acting up, so I opened her up and found a lot of oxide on the wiring - that would be 0 earthing. After polishing/cleaning the contacts all was back to normal.