Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RD28T Cooling

Hello.
    I own a 1993 GQ / Y60 2,8 TD. Radiator is leaking, and I want to upgrade to some thing that gives better performance.

As I live on the opposite side of the world, shipping from Australia i probably no option (hillarious shipping quotes). I've been told that the GU / Y61 2,8 radiator will fit bolt on. can some one confirm this?

It seems, from drawings, that the original radiator have water running from the top/right to the bottom/left, with the tubes being horizontal. On the GU, the connectors seem to be on the top and on the bottom, with tubes being vertical.

Does it still fit, and is it an upgrade worth doing?

Is there any other type radiator I shuld look at? Is it worth fitting electric fan(s)? I use the car for towing a mini digger, so upgraded cooling would be nice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the best suggestion I could give you is - Poland

there is a heck of a lot of the Patrols over there...........
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really want to change the radiator, I'd advise you to search on Finn.no. There's an overflow of Patrols there that are being sold in parts all over the country - but I think those are just as troubled as your.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found (and bought) a 2nd hand one that is supposed to be in good nick. At least, it is not leaking, like mine is. Thing is, I might want to upgrade to get better cooling, as this engines are well known for overheating and cracking the cylinder head. Going flat out (to keep up with traffic) up steep hills with a 2,5-3 ton trailer, I might want better cooling than original? Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodeS View Post
    I've found (and bought) a 2nd hand one that is supposed to be in good nick. At least, it is not leaking, like mine is. Thing is, I might want to upgrade to get better cooling, as this engines are well known for overheating and cracking the cylinder head. Going flat out (to keep up with traffic) up steep hills with a 2,5-3 ton trailer, I might want better cooling than original? Any thoughts?
    Some people seem to ad intercoolers, which is probably not a bad idea. My experience is that the turbo really throw extremely hot air around, so when the engine is working harder, it becomes a vicious circle. I once went up a really steep hill in the forest, på en grusvei, and the turbo went instantly to 1 bar, and the temp went closer to red just as quickly :P

A more efficient radiator would also not "hurt".

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine stops at 0,6 - 0,7 bar, as it is supposed to. A turbo diesel engine produces massive amounts of heat when working hard.

I've been told to exchange the normal cooling fluid with red/pink one, as the head is aluminium, and it is supposed to cool better. Good idea?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodeS View Post
    Mine stops at 0,6 - 0,7 bar, as it is supposed to. A turbo diesel engine produces massive amounts of heat when working hard.

I've been told to exchange the normal cooling fluid with red/pink one, as the head is aluminium, and it is supposed to cool better. Good idea?
    I heard the same from Bruno - to change it to red. I'm surprised that if it really was that effective that nobody has done that with our cars before us. I've constantly been witness to the "Red, blue or green coolant"-discussion, but there has never really been a proper conclusion other than that red coolant most of the time is made with compounds that are better suited for aluminium components - so it's a good idea, yes.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the late reply. I ordered a alu radiator from the Neatherlands, and fitted it some weeks ago. Leak gone, and the temperature stays were it is supposed to. I've been pulling trailers up to 3,5 tonn for quite some distances, and have not seen any problems. I suppose the original viscosus fan is working properly, as I have not fitted any electrical addition.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FrodeS For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (13th October 2015)