Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Impact Wrench?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Impact Wrench?

I'm looking to get a cordless impact wrench for my birthday (hint hint (in case she's reading))...

I'm invested into the Dewalt XR 18V LiIon series, so it will need to be one of those..

Essentially, i'm looking for thoughts, pros/cons, around these 2

DCF880N $185
    • Compact
    • 203 Nm Torque
    DCF889N $249
    • Much Bigger
    • 418 Nm Torque

In theory the smaller one is a better "fit" for use on the 'trol (wheels only go to 118Nm), but is the (much) larger capacity of the 889 "worth" the expense of the much bigger unit? Especially considering that it will be travelling around in my drawers.

Thoughts/experiences?

Jon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day Jon, I have both siszes, albeit in another brand in my workshop. I usually take the larger more powerful one with me when we go bush. its not just the torque for wheel nuts you need, but in the case of an emergency repair you may want to undo chassis bolts or other "tight" nuts and bolts.
    Tony
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    G'day Jon, I have both siszes, albeit in another brand in my workshop. I usually take the larger more powerful one with me when we go bush. its not just the torque for wheel nuts you need, but in the case of an emergency repair you may want to undo chassis bolts or other "tight" nuts and bolts.
    Tony

true enough.. Although we don't break our patrols do we? (mine's in the repairers *again* at the minute)

I guess that i won't be using it for extended periods so the heavier unit won't be too much of a drag that way, although it's bound to be too big to get into some spots that we need it to (thanks Murphy)
    Jon

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No idea but I'm going to get one of theses, seeing as I've already got a driver and drill

http://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-one...-only_p6210301

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    true enough.. Although we don't break our patrols do we? you might want to help out a yota or landi driver. If it's a jeep you will get by with a shifter and duct tape.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Hodge (1st July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    true enough.. Although we don't break our patrols do we? you might want to help out a yota or landi driver. If it's a jeep you will get by with a shifter and duct tape.
    If you hire it out to yoto drivers it will pay for itself in no time.lol
    IMO I would buy the more powerful, less strain on stubborn bolts/nuts
    might want to check if the battery is reversible ,
    Last edited by threedogs; 1st July 2015 at 05:13 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    being a chippie, ive got both sizes in milwaukee and id definetly go the big one, while the smaller ones might be rated to 200+nm at that point there working real hard, having tried both on wheel nuts the smaller ones (got 3 brushed and brushless versions) and it can be a struggle for them to crack the nut and get it moving where the big one just undoes it effortlessly. the bigger one will also allow you to get bigger bolts like harmonis balancers undone. i never even use my older air powered guns at home any more straight to the cordless

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    No idea but I'm going to get one of theses, seeing as I've already got a driver and drill

http://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-one...-only_p6210301
    I've got this one... It's awesome!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cordless tools have come a long way in a few year eh?

It’s only recently I’ve understood the difference between an impact wrench & an impact driver. I have an air impact wrench which has saved my bacon a few times, but can understand why a battery one would be a great addition to the tool collection.

My 18v lithium ion cordless Makita collection continues to grow. Most recent addition was an impact driver which I scored brand new for $70 (skin only) & I’ve been using it for the past couple of days building myself some workbenches for the new shed. I reckon I’ve put in 250+ 75mm timber screws plus 60 or 70 50mm screws & have found the little cordless driver so much better than using a drill. I bought it not fully understanding quite what it did, just put faith in the fact that people who own them rate them highly. I was quite disappointed when I discovered it had no clutch, but have found it very controllable & a joy to use. Don’t know how I ever managed without it.

I can easily envisage a cordless impact driver joing the collection, maybe Santa will bring one. Trouble is the collection of batteries is growing too & they are not cheap. I reckon I have $500 just in batteries now with a recent purchase of two new 3Ah to add to my 3 3year old 3Ah’s.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Impact Wrench?

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I've got this one... It's awesome!
    Yep have one of these ryobi impact wrenches too. Makes life so much easier.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast