Page 36 of 212 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Merged - Deleted "Wanted"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Bungel,

You may have to do what I did and look fior a vehicle that is in need of repair that the owner isnt willing to pay to have done.

I bought my 1997 GQ for $6000.00 and it had a cracked head. I spent $3800.00 rebuilding the topend of the motor and now have a great car that we have a lot of fun in.

I still have to do a few things to it like new tyres, bushes, ball joints and fix the winch but that will come in time.

Cheers,

Rob
    Just about to jump into my next Patrol. A 2001 GU II TB45E .

WARNING!: Do not ever use a towball as a recovery point. They are not rated and can become a deadly projectile during a recovery if they snap off, and they have done so with tragic results in the past.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya wont get a late model GQ thats well looked after with low Ks for 10K
    You will pay more, unless it needs work
    3.0 auto GQ , as mentioned didnt happen

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really know whether I paid a good price or not, see lots of people paying less, but I paid $9000 for a '92 GQ, auto, 260k, 4.2efi with lpg from a dealer. It was bog standard, no signs of off-roading and reasonable service history. But I think the auto is on its way out (seemed fine when i got it). Had a few niggly things to fix (constantly on going!).
    1981 Nissan Patrol MQ SWB, 3.3TD, West Melbourne.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shows how little i know about these vehicles. haha. Just want to get something standard and spend a few extra $$'s getting it mechanically up to scratch if needed.

Yeh, i looked at a diesel turbo, must have been a 2.8ltr a few weeks back. Was duel fuel too, engine bay looked very well cleaned up but was little crap on the outside. $6250. Would have been happy spending a few K getting it up to scratch if it wasnt mechanically sound.
    Also looking at a current 4.2ltr petrol model similar to what you have Boggy, 290kms but not duel fuel. Its looks in great nick, inside and out. But has a bit of trouble starting up, took about 8 cranks to get her going. Something about the fuel draining away while sitting around. hmmm??? wanting 10k for it.

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/NI...782304706&pt=1

No service history sadly.

Got plenty of time to view all this stuff online, but hardly anytime to actually go see the vehicles which makes it difficult. Annoying part of working away.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payed near 12K for my 1997 GQ TB42E/auto
    Under 200K on clock, full service history from new 1 elderly couple from new (yep for real)

Spent tooo long looking at rubbish
    So maybe i paid too much,but condition Vs Ks, Vs all the other rubbish
    Not think so

Dont be fooled by the duel fuel jargon
    Buy the absolute best you can find then get LPG fitted (still the government rebate of $1500 towards fitment)
    Pick the engine/gearbox combo you want
    Then stick to that,or youll only be dissapointed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just keep looking Bungel. I spent the best part of 8 months searching the web.

If you arent sure of a vehicle then let it pass. There will be others.

Try these websites mate:

http://www.carbuddy.com.au

http://www.carsales.com.au

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Browse

http://www.car.net.au/sales/default.aspx

http://www.drive.com.au/

http://cars.ebay.com.au/

http://www.automarket.com.au/

Cheers,

Rob
    Just about to jump into my next Patrol. A 2001 GU II TB45E .

WARNING!: Do not ever use a towball as a recovery point. They are not rated and can become a deadly projectile during a recovery if they snap off, and they have done so with tragic results in the past.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bungel View Post
    Shows how little i know about these vehicles. haha. Just want to get something standard and spend a few extra $$'s getting it mechanically up to scratch if needed.

Yeh, i looked at a diesel turbo, must have been a 2.8ltr a few weeks back. Was duel fuel too, engine bay looked very well cleaned up but was little crap on the outside. $6250. Would have been happy spending a few K getting it up to scratch if it wasnt mechanically sound.
    Also looking at a current 4.2ltr petrol model similar to what you have Boggy, 290kms but not duel fuel. Its looks in great nick, inside and out. But has a bit of trouble starting up, took about 8 cranks to get her going. Something about the fuel draining away while sitting around. hmmm??? wanting 10k for it.

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/NI...782304706&pt=1

No service history sadly.

Got plenty of time to view all this stuff online, but hardly anytime to actually go see the vehicles which makes it difficult. Annoying part of working away.
    That first one doesn't make sense cobber... are you sure it wasn't an RB30 petrol motor if it was dual fuel... that doesn't explain the Turbo tho?

If that second one is an EFI and it is hard to start... put your wallet in your pocket and run away.

Patience is the key, there are some very nice EFI Petrols come up for around 7 to 8K's. (My old one sold for that range and it had 2 inch lift, Auto Locker etc straight as a gun with zero rust and LPG)
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Should have added... early 90's is when the new series came out... different shift setup in the Auto's and the 4.2's went to EFI in the Petrols.

If you get a 4.2 Petty Auto make sure it is a Series 2 with EFI and the upgraded Auto and I wouldn't pay more than 8K for a 94 to maybe 9 something for a really nice 97 with low K's depending on extra's. You will find a stack of Series 2's made in 94 and 97 as they imported a few big batches in those MY's and very few 95 or 96... nothing wrong with them just the way the import years worked out
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers guys.

Yeh, recon its pretty poor form not to have any service history. I will keep at it, as i do have time on my side.

Thanks Rob, been scanning most of those sites for the last month.. but there are few more i hadnt checked. Nice

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeh, that doesnt sound right does it. Was definatly a duel fuel. so must not have had the turbo. .

thanks very much for the info, i really am looking for any guidence i can get. Will keep all this in mind and hopefully info like that can help narrow the search down for me.

Cheer Mr Evil Twin.
    Last edited by Bungel; 1st March 2011 at 04:24 PM.

Page 36 of 212 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast