Thread: Patrol Newbie

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patrol Newbie

Hey,
    I'm trying to not rush into purchasing my first Patrol and am seeking some advice on what to look out for, etc.
    So far I've read about the dangers of the "grenading" early series 3 liter TD motors.
    I'd prefer to find a Diesel Patrol but have been reading about Petrol/Gas Patrols being pretty reliable also.
    I'm currently looking at the GU series 4, and looking to spend about 20k or less.
    I've already inspected a few at dealerships around Melbourne, and have encountered some dodgy Patrols with massive gaps in service history to leaky diffs. Been trying to look out for clean examples, no gaps in maintenance, no leaks, particularly oil in the intercooler etc.
    Thanks
    Last edited by bsteveo; 25th June 2015 at 02:57 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi Ben and welcome You can pick up a very nice 2000ish 4.2TD for $20k.
    Enjoy your stay
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Ben and welcome to the forum. As with any vehicle in the end you might get unlucky but yoy are doing the correct things. a few words though;
    Not all 3 ltrs grenade. If the previous owner has fitted NADS it coud be a good buy
    Not all CRD 3 ltrs develope oil/water leaks near the timing cover.
    Dealeaship service records do not always mean a good vehicle. many DIY or non dealer serviced cars are excellent. Some dealer serviced cars ar rubbish - but the book is filled in correctly.
    Extended warranties are not worth anything - although you pay for them. Pretty much anything that can break is not covered and the stuff that is covered never breaks.
    Oil in the intercooler may or may not be a major issue. Oil leaking from the intercooler is an issue but the I/C can be replaced without much difficulty.
    Best thing is to keep your eyes wide open and if you have mates with 4x4 get them to have a look when you have made a short list.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bsteveo View Post
    Hey,
    I'm trying to not rush into purchasing my first Patrol and am seeking some advice on what to look out for, etc.
    So far I've read about the dangers of the "grenading" early series 3 liter TD motors.
    I'd prefer to find a Diesel Patrol but have been reading about Petrol/Gas Patrols being pretty reliable also.
    I'm currently looking at the GU series 4, and looking to spend about 20k or less.
    I've already inspected a few at dealerships around Melbourne, and have encountered some dodgy Patrols with massive gaps in service history to leaky diffs. Been trying to look out for clean examples, no gaps in maintenance, no leaks, particularly oil in the intercooler etc.
    Thanks
    Hi bsteveo,
    It's also important to search for the type of patrol that suits your needs and what you may be comfortable with.
    I had a duel fuel set-up on mine, I am reasonably comfortable working with most things petrol, but had a diesel Navara once and had no idea what I was doing under the bonnet.
    I have removed the gas from mine now and although a little dearer to run will be a lot easier to service and with a long range tank and sub I can get about 1000ks or so range without needing to fill up, whereas on dual fuel 600-650 pulled me up (plus I only need to take a couple of jerrys with me for extra).
    I found that it ran really well on gas and was as cheap as chips to run, so if you're looking for something to do mainly a bit of offroading around your area gas or duel fuel is a cheap option.
    If you're comfortable with diesel you can find enough info on here to help with what type of motor suits you best.
    I would say that whichever way you go, have someone who knows what they're doing check the vehicle out for you before you buy.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all, thanks for the feedback. I've been keeping my eye out for a 4.2TD but seems to be nothing around F/S at the moment, especially being an auto restricted P plater (was a lazy learner). I'll be doing minimal off-roading, but will be looking to get into it eventually. My main concern is reliability and fuel economy. I travel 500-550 kms a week, so I'm not too sure which fuel type would suit my needs best. I've only ever owned petrol cars so obviously new to diesel/don't know much about them, same with 4wd's in general. I've read about the NADS mods for the 3.0L motors on here, but even then if I was to look out for them when inspecting a vehicle, I wouldn't exactly know what I'm looking at.
    Last edited by bsteveo; 25th June 2015 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading a few threads on fuel consumption, perhaps duel fuel is the way to go for me, doing the majority of my driving on gas?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading a few threads on fuel consumption, perhaps duel fuel is the way to go for me, doing the majority of my driving on gas?
    Hi Ben,
    Drove mine around on gas for about 6 or 7 years and had no problems at all, only reason I've go rid of the gas is my wife and I are selling up and heading off around Australia in 2 years for as long as we can, and with only a sub tank with 70 litres I was gonna need a lot of jerry cans if we go outback for a while like we intend to.
    Mine is a tb45e and has done about 280,000k's, I can't fault it.
    If I wasn't going outback over the next few years I would've kept the gas, it's a cheap way to drive a big machine.
    You'll enjoy a Patrol whichever type you choose, they're a great machine, and there's plenty of help for all types of mods on the forums (especially this one)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
    Hi Ben,
    Drove mine around on gas for about 6 or 7 years and had no problems at all, only reason I've go rid of the gas is my wife and I are selling up and heading off around Australia in 2 years for as long as we can, and with only a sub tank with 70 litres I was gonna need a lot of jerry cans if we go outback for a while like we intend to.
    Mine is a tb45e and has done about 280,000k's, I can't fault it.
    If I wasn't going outback over the next few years I would've kept the gas, it's a cheap way to drive a big machine.
    You'll enjoy a Patrol whichever type you choose, they're a great machine, and there's plenty of help for all types of mods on the forums (especially this one)
    Forgot to mention my Dad has a 4.8 on duel fuel and it's a ripper of a machine, gets about the same mileage as mine but with a load more power.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,
    Thanks
    One thing you can check for is the rear coil towers, both mine and my fathers had cracked towers for god knows how long, I found mine had cracked then we thought we'd check his and it did too, both on the drivers side rear, seems to be a common problem.
    I did post a thread on here about the repair, it has a picture of the damaged tower if you look it up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast