Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Must have been sh1t
    Did you miss the bit about carting Adelaide water OMG
    10 ltr bladders would make awesome pillows.
    Last edited by threedogs; 22nd June 2015 at 11:15 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Did you miss the bit about carting Adelaide water OMG
    10 ltr bladders would make awesome pillows.
    LOL..
    Its a lot better than it used to be, especially with the desal plant in place. Not like in the 80's when I first visited Adelaide and was used to drinking rainwater. That was real 'hard' water to drink.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,943 Times in 3,161 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    LOL..
    Its a lot better than it used to be, especially with the desal plant in place. Not like in the 80's when I first visited Adelaide and was used to drinking rainwater. That was real 'hard' water to drink.
    I agree, Adelaide water is very drinkable now as they upgraded the filtration plants several years back.
    As a kid our water often had a brown tint to it as it came out the tap.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this an old thread but for what it is worth I went from North of Brisbane through Dalby out to Birdsville then down Birdsville track to Marre over to Lyndhurst and then up strezlecki to innaminka through thargominda, cunnamulla, st George and home. In June 2015.

We drank, showered and cooked with only whatever was freely available on the way.

The only two places that the water was hard to drink or brush teeth with was somewhere like windorah and thargominda. If you look on the map, they are one above the other and may share the same underground water source.

If the water is non potable the signs will tell you.

The locals drink the water and there are no signs about boiling to drink. (like the ones you see in parts of Tassie)

I would save your money in buying bagged or bottled water and would save the weight in carrying excess water with you.

Water was quite good everywhere else and there were 6 of us on the trip.

If you were worried you could also drop purification tablets in your drums before drinking. One pack of those would be cheaper and lighter than carrying excess water from somewhere else.

On another trip this year in June / July we also drank the water from Brisbane to normanton / karumba over to burketown to mt isa to emerald and home with the exception of Adel's Grove near lawn hill national park because they just pumped it straight from the creek and I don't remember if it was filtered or not. We used chlorine tabs on that water.

Cheers

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dirtydog16; 27th September 2016 at 06:59 AM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dirtydog16 For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (4th October 2016), mudnut (27th September 2016), threedogs (27th September 2016), Touses (27th September 2016)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's an old thread, but still perhaps relevant to anyone heading that route.

When we got to Mt Dare, they had stacks of those 10 litre square plastic jobbies for sale. Premium prices of course (like the bloody diesel), but it is what it is. If i was to do it again, I'd ring ahead to make sure they had plenty if I was going to rely on them. I now have 60 litres underfloor in Stainless, so its almost a moot point, just talking about drinking water here as others may need the info.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience (in June this year) was that most places are cool if you ask nicely. I filled my 56L tank on the servo apron at Bedourie. Crossed the simmo. Filled 2 10L jerries at Dalhousie and the tank again on the apron at Kulgura Roadhouse. I find if if I ask nicely and check its potable it's been all good. I even was allowed to fill at the servo apron in Yulara and down town Alce. That Bedourie water was sweet as tho!
    2015 GU ST 3.0CRD Auto Wagon, 2" EFS Lift, 5 x Procomp 16s with MT ATZ P3s, TJM Outback Bar and 12000lb Winch, 80l Sub Tank, Redarc 40A DC-DC with Optima Battery and 180w Solar, ARB Compressor On-board, 3" EXHAUST, Rhino Pioneer Platform and Darche Awning, DIY Drawers to come!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12