Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

patrol tb45 engine rebuild

Gday everyone,

id just thought id get some opinions here as im gonna rebuild my patrol in the coming weeks .
    its a tb45 and im looking for better fuel economy and more power , is there any mods you can suggest whilst im rebuilding it.
    cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You won't get better economy AND more power from a TB45E. You can certainly get more power (have a look at my TB45E turbo install thread in the DIY section) but more power needs more fuel.
    The average consumption for a TB45E will always be 20 litres. Sometimes you can get a little better, sometimes worse. 20 is the average over time.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benledbury101 View Post
    Gday everyone,

id just thought id get some opinions here as im gonna rebuild my patrol in the coming weeks .
    its a tb45 and im looking for better fuel economy and more power , is there any mods you can suggest whilst im rebuilding it.
    cheers
    G'day benledbury,
    My 4.5 was pretty thirsty.
    I fitted a snorkel, pacemaker extractors, 2.5" exhaust, and found it was louder but still crappy economy and sluggish especially towing.
    I pulled the distributed off and found the rotor button was really worn down.
    I've since fitted a new dizzy cap, new rotor button, new plugs and leads, and cleaned the maf sensor and inlet, she's purring like a kitten now, just want to clean the injectors next but will need a hand with that.
    I would recommend the changes I've made, it will always be a bit thirsty, but they're a great motor.
    I toyed with a LS replacement but I can buy a lot of fuel for the difference!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose the first question is : how much do you want to spend?

The quote I got for recoing my tb45e was $5000 or $5500 for performance parts.

New K&N air filter around $185, extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust around $1400.00. Although if you are going a turbo or super charger probably a 3inch?

Turbo Charger $5500 to $10k but I have heard a super charger is better with this motor around $7k.