Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hey Matt,

I am keen as to see this thread evolve as i have very similar questions and keen to maybe do an upgrade on the GUIV. I dont really have this type of knowledge and would be keen as to see what you have to say. let your fingers do the talking mate. Your insight will be appreciated.

I know that there is a comprehensive thread on the other forum but to be honest it is HUGE an a mine field for anyone entering the market. That thread has evolved and is difficult to navigate without reading the novel from the start.
    I can do this but it makes it hard to convey when everybodies wants, needs and opinions are different.

The best thing you can have when tackling this sort of decision is knowledge. You need to know your budget, how much power/torque you want and in which way you want this delivered, are you doing work yourself and what your intension is with the setup (towing, beachwork, playing etc etc)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (20th June 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Are you referring to this one?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PA...item2ee2d2108e
    This was something I was toying with also. I currently have the OEM box, the HPD lid and the HPD maf housing. I though about either selling the maf housing and using the HPD lid, or sell the lot and this would pay for the Patroldocta one. Thoughts?
    That is just a shiny version of the standard box lol. It fails to fix the issue that is the oem airbox. The problem is element space, you need a minimum of 30mm all the way around the element. There are plenty of options available these days millweld, radius fabrication, 4by fab etc etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

mudski (19th June 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    I can do this but it makes it hard to convey when everybodies wants, needs and opinions are different.

The best thing you can have when tackling this sort of decision is knowledge. You need to know your budget, how much power/torque you want and in which way you want this delivered, are you doing work yourself and what your intension is with the setup (towing, beachwork, playing etc etc)
    But what you explained to me over the phone mate would be good info here. While it kinda makes sense to me on what you said. Having it written down infront of you makes it good as one can read it a few times until it sinks in. Like me. Lol.
    Your knowledge in this field needs to be documented...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Rossco (19th June 2015), Sir Roofy (21st June 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As for the turbos I will just stick with the basics for the time being.

The ones Mudski has mentioned are the Mitsubishi and garret items.

Now the TD05H part of the Mitsubishi number is its turbine size/design. So this will be the same for 16,18 or 20g. Now that part of the number is the compressor size/design, so a 16 being the smallest and 20 the largest. The 20g can obviously supply more volume so can support more hp.

Now the same is for the garrett. The GT** part of the number is for the turbine side again and this will be the same for that model base. So a gt2860,gt2863,gt2867,gt2871 etc etc all use the same turbine. A GT30 will have a bigger turbine and so on. The other part of the number is referring to the compressor wheel. Now for the most part with the garrett this will be the largest diameter of the compressor wheel. so a 60 will be 60mm and a 71 will be a 71mm and so.

Now with the above I am only talking about the actual turbine wheels and compressor wheels. There is the then the housings in which you attach to this.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (19th June 2015), MudRunnerTD (20th June 2015), Rocket55 (21st June 2015), Rossco (19th June 2015), Winnie (19th June 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is just a shiny version of the standard box lol. It fails to fix the issue that is the oem airbox. The problem is element space, you need a minimum of 30mm all the way around the element. There are plenty of options available these days millweld, radius fabrication, 4by fab etc etc.
    Whats the go with Radius Fabs website? Lol. For the price of the milweld and 4by fab air boxes, ill have to stick with what i have i think. Lol.

Last edited by mudski; 20th June 2015 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whats the go with Radius Fabs website? Lol. For the price of the milweld and 4by fab air boxes, ill have to stick with what i have i think. Lol. Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    they're not monitoring they're Wordpress site and it's getting punished by spam!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

mudski (20th June 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whats the go with Radius Fabs website? Lol. For the price of the milweld and 4by fab air boxes, ill have to stick with what i have i think. Lol.

There is no reason why you couldnt make one yourself mark. Radius Fab sell most of there stuff through facebook.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

mudski (20th June 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is no reason why you couldnt make one yourself mark. Radius Fab sell most of there stuff through facebook.
    Yeah there is. My welding skills. Food for thought though....

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Yeah that's the one. Do not buy it. Both AB and I have it and both want to swap it for something else
    Apart frpm what Matt has said. Why don't you like the air box? Its surely got to be better than the oem box.... Atleast a little....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Apart frpm what Matt has said. Why don't you like the air box? Its surely got to be better than the oem box.... Atleast a little....
    Nope. Look the oem one will work for your intended application but I would use a k&n due to the air speeds across the element in the standard box. Even the shiny one. Use it for now and put a better one in later with a 4" snorkel and ram head.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

mudski (20th June 2015)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast