Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: TD42 turbo types. Whats what?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds good. Once you get an idea from jpc of the turbo they want to use or what they recommend we can ho a bit further into the pump. A 12mm will most likely be the best option anyway.

As for cost you have a non compensated pump so whether it gets built to an 11 or a 12 there should be no difference in price. But as i said earlier a 12mm really isnt working that hard to produce 160-170rwkw ( a well built one anyway)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

mudski (21st June 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so mudski , just exactly what have you got to start with . I gather you've got a motor , but what has it got on it , eg; injector pump and such , are you planning to rebuild / recondition the whole motor . is the motor in working order , how many k's on it . if the injector pump is in good working order it might be better to keep it for now and put the money saved into 4in" snorkel and larger airbox !

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So guys another question. If I want to do a Turbo upgrade can I kill two birds with one stone?

1. Can I take the MTQ Turbo off the GQ and will it fit onto the GU without much fuss? Will this be an upgrade?

2. What would be a good Turbo to fit into the GQ for a good power upgrade and plenty of room to pump up later without making other real changes to the manifold etc.

Is this logic reasonable?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nipagu7 View Post
    so mudski , just exactly what have you got to start with . I gather you've got a motor , but what has it got on it , eg; injector pump and such , are you planning to rebuild / recondition the whole motor . is the motor in working order , how many k's on it . if the injector pump is in good working order it might be better to keep it for now and put the money saved into 4in" snorkel and larger airbox !
    A dead motor is what I have to start with. Needs injector pump, will be sorted after we sort out what turbo is chosen. Needs an intercooler. Will be sticking with top mount. Motor is going to be totally rebuilt. New OEM TD42Ti head. Basically starting from scratch. Its only just started and trying to figure out what parts I'm missing and what parts I need to get is doing my head in already. Someone did say to me a while ago if I were to do this I will be bald and in a straight jacket by the time its done.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    So guys another question. If I want to do a Turbo upgrade can I kill two birds with one stone?

1. Can I take the MTQ Turbo off the GQ and will it fit onto the GU without much fuss? Will this be an upgrade?

2. What would be a good Turbo to fit into the GQ for a good power upgrade and plenty of room to pump up later without making other real changes to the manifold etc.

FYI Darren. I am using stock intake and exhaust (or MTQ style) manifold. I suppose it all depends on what pump you have mate.
    But I'll leave this up to the guru's.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post

1. Can I take the MTQ Turbo off the GQ and will it fit onto the GU without much fuss? Will this be an upgrade? No. The turbo in your gu is good for around 150rwhp. If its only the the turbo that comes with the dts kit from mtq then just sell it to fund the turbo on the gq.

2. What would be a good Turbo to fit into the GQ for a good power upgrade and plenty of room to pump up later without making other real changes to the manifold etc.what sort of power are you after? Budget? Most will bolt to your manifold anyway.

Logic is reasonable. Just need some more info. Also what do you want from the gu?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (22nd June 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All this effort and you could buy my gu Iv td42ti and put on all your good bits and sell the leftovers
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Logic is reasonable. Just need some more info. Also what do you want from the gu?
    The GU is the tourer mate, it tows the camper and a little more power would be awesome. I don't need it to be a Kenworth though and don't want to spend a sh1t load on it. I want t upgrade the turbo and 125 to 130kw would be nice.

With the GQ rolling on 37s and the Play car it makes more sense to go for something with potential fitted up to that.

The GU has the 11mm pump and honeatly won't spend money net on the pump until it sh1ts itself. The Pump work on the GQ is more likely in a couple of years and would go to a 12mm pump if and when it needs a rebuild.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 21st June 2015 at 11:06 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the pump on the gu is in good condition you could get anywhere up to 140rwkw. If your towing and a pump upgrade isnt on the cards I really think something like the UFI 16g Large will most likely be the best option. Also a gtx2863 like winnie would also be a reasonable option but isn't quite as easy as just bolting on like the ufi item.

The GQ is probably open to a few more options. UFI 18 or 20 g and the garrett 3067 or 3071. All of those can support 200rwkw but the latter of the 2 (20g and 3071) have the potential to support more. Again the ufi items are practically a bolt on turbo. Where as the garrett will need a housing from the states to get the turbo working where you want it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (21st June 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't know the specs on the MTQ turbo on the GQ now, if you know what the standard MatQ Turbo is what would I expect from that turbo fitted to the gu and 11mm pump?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast