The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TD42 turbo types. Whats what?

O.k SO I think i need to know more about what sorts of turbo's there are for these TD42's otherwise the mechanic will say "yeah mate we'll put on a TD05 bla bla bla" and I'll just say yeah go for it and I would have the faintest in what it is and the difference to others. I know the explanation may get long winded but I think its something I need to know, considering I will be forking out the money for it.
    So. What about the flanges too? Theres different flanges too? T3??
    As for turbo's themselves I have found.....
    • TD05H-16G
    • TD05H-18G and 20G
    • HT18-2 and -5
    • Garret Gt 2860 / 2871 / 2876 / 3076

What are differences? This conversion is going to cost me a bomb, I know this. I just don't want to be buying something that I don't need.
    The mechanic has already said for me to go a 12mm Injector pump as he reckons 160kw is a good place to be at and a roller bearing turbo is the go. I'm like "Yer o.k???" He said for the extra on the 12mm pump atleast I can get more out of the motor later if I wanted, rather than going 11mm and then finding I need to upgrade to 12mm if I ever wanted more. To be honest, I don't even know what I want in HP related terms. Something more than what I have thats for sure if I'm doing this. Lol
    As for intercoolers, I want to stick with top mount. Thats probably another thread in itself....

Thanks.

BTW, if anyone has a 2001 or around that era TD42t Patrol, can I have some pics of your engine bay? I need to find out what parts I am missing for all the bolts stuff. Like the a/c, power steering, hoses and brackets etc etc.

This is going to be a real big headache. I can feel it already.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,428 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've got a worn out 11mm boost compensated pump and Garrett GTX2863R making 120kW.
    I can tow my camper at 110km/h all day long and only lose a little speed up real steep hills.

I need to upgrade the pump but I don't know if I will go 12mm or just get the 11mm worked up.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What do you intend to use the Patrol for.
    mainly towing or weekend stuff or daily driver
    or a bit of each???
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I've got a worn out 11mm boost compensated pump and Garrett GTX2863R making 120kW.
    I can tow my camper at 110km/h all day long and only lose a little speed up real steep hills.

I need to upgrade the pump but I don't know if I will go 12mm or just get the 11mm worked up.
    I'm only going by what the mechanic has told me. He thinks 160 is a good figure, not wild but I'll have plenty of punch when I need it.
    So you have a GTX2863R. Whats the difference to the other models? Obviously the power output of some sort, but in what way.
    I don't wanna go spending more on a turbo than what I need too.
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    What do you intend to use the Patrol for.
    mainly towing or weekend stuff or daily driver
    or a bit of each???
    Everything.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Might want to have a chat with Matt, MR or Stropp
    Where are you expecting to get 160kw, is that rear wheel???

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Might want to have a chat with Matt, MR or Stropp
    Where are you expecting to get 160kw, is that rear wheel???
    160kw at the wheels. And no I wasn't expecting this. Lol Thats the figure JPC told me he will build for. He said, we gonna do it, do it right. I have NFI.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This would have been much easier on the phone mark lol.

Td05h-**g refers to the comp side. So a 16g has a smaller compressor wheel than the 18 and 20g.

If you want to run a garrett then the same as what winnie has will work for your intended powere level.

Honestly for an off the shelf turbo that will just bolt on and work for your power level you really cant go past a ufi 16g large or 18g.

With the diesel it isnt really peak hp/kw you should be looking at. Its all about the torque.

With the fuel pump you can get 11mm pumps that will support 160kw maybe more but a 12mm is really not working very hard to produce this and leaves room for improvements of up to 200rwkw and towards 800nm.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (19th June 2015), MudRunnerTD (19th June 2015), mudski (19th June 2015), threedogs (19th June 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Whats a ball park figure you think it will end up costing $15K ? NFI
    Last edited by threedogs; 19th June 2015 at 12:51 PM.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    This would have been much easier on the phone mark lol.

Td05h-**g refers to the comp side. So a 16g has a smaller compressor wheel than the 18 and 20g.

If you want to run a garrett then the same as what winnie has will work for your intended powere level.

Honestly for an off the shelf turbo that will just bolt on and work for your power level you really cant go past a ufi 16g large or 18g.

With the diesel it isnt really peak hp/kw you should be looking at. Its all about the torque.

With the fuel pump you can get 11mm pumps that will support 160kw maybe more but a 12mm is really not working very hard to produce this and leaves room for improvements of up to 200rwkw and towards 800nm.
    Matt I will try to ring you this arvo mate.

I am just curious on what the differences are in these turbo's. More so that I can just get a better understanding.
    Torque is what I'm after. TBH I'm not really interested in big peak horse power. Well kinda. Lol. Something that will pull my camper like its not even there is what I would like. Unlike now, or before, it was o.k but hit a hill and I'm changing down gears and revving the shite out of the motor just to keep some sort of speed.
    The mechanic has recommended 12mm, more so for the room of improvement if I ever wanted it. He reckons for the extra cost from 11mm to 12mm its worth it while we are here. I haven't even spoken about what turbo etc etc yet with the mechanic, we are just working on getting the motor done first.
    I have some time to ponder I think. Just trying to get my head around it all....So when it comes to talking to the mechanic about what turbo, I can sort of understand what he will say, rather than just nodding my head. Lol.

Thanks.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whats a ball park figure you think it will end up costing $15K ? NFI
    I'm too scared to even know. It just needs to be done now as I ain't spending another cent on the ZD.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast