Thread: GU1 TD42T cooking 2nd batteries

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU1 TD42T cooking 2nd batteries

Hello,

I installed on of these last year and have just cooked my 2nd, 2nd battery.

I have been told that it was heat both times and do not have much spare cash laying around to keep this up.

I really want to keep the battery there, if possible as maximizing space in the wagon is a priority (it's a long drive to woolies ).

Any ideas for protecting my 2nd battery from under bonnet temps?

I have seen discussions suggesting foil blankets , electric fans and even a bonnet scoop. It's a pretty tight squeeze to get the bare battery into the tray and the least mucking around would be better.

Even if I do manage to protect the battery better, have we come to a consensus about which type/brand/model of battery would stand a chance againgst my under bonnet temps?

Thanks in advance,

Cam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about patrols, but I've had quite a few high performance turbo cars with outrageous under bonnet temperatures but I have never damaged a battery (even though I have melted a plastic clutch master cylinder.

A few european cars come standard with battery insulators, it is a case made of insulating blanket type material that the battery sits in under the bonnet, I think it is actually meant to prevent the battery freezing, it is standard fitment on some holden barina, astra and vectra models. I imagine they would be dirt cheap from a wrecker.
    WARNING: Using a Tow Ball on any Snatch can KILL PEOPLE!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JME_GU For This Useful Post:

NotTortoise (16th June 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would be very careful with foil blankets mate. Can't understand what the problem would be. I've got a second battery and so have most of the guys I know and haven't had a problem with overheating. Are you shore it's not overcharging or too much load. Is your VSR working properly?
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

NotTortoise (16th June 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume VSR is a dual battery system?

I was using one of these and have just installed one of these
    Last edited by NotTortoise; 16th June 2015 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotTortoise View Post
    I assume VSR is a dual battery system?

I was using one of these and have just installed on of these
    Yes sorry mate, Voltage Sensitive Relay. The one in you link "these". The idea is that it will allow the alternator to charge your cranking battery until a certain voltage then connect the second battery for charging, if the voltage falls too low it will fall back to charging the cranker only. The only time I have ever cooked a battery, and I have the same setup as you, is when my alternator voltage regulator failed and I was charging at over 17 volts. Have you or can you measure your alternator output? Might also be an idea to PM yendor - he is a gun with electrical.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have the Projecta battery monitor and the highest reading I've seen is 14.2V, would that be enough to do damage?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know what sort of battery you are running for your second battery? AGM type or wet cell ect?
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotTortoise View Post
    I also have the Projecta battery monitor and the highest reading I've seen is 14.2V, would that be enough to do damage?
    14.2 is a bit high but I think it should be OK. Is that at fairly high revs?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running lead acid batteries.

14.2 was pushing it on the highway

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lead acid should be fine as long as they are not AGM Type (absorbed glass matt) and 14.2 volts is spot on for charging voltage
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast