Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracked diff case

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cracked diff case

Hi fellows. I have a crack on my front diff of my 89 gq wagon, which extends from the bottom of the pumpkin to a couple inches onto the right tube. It seems to be a fine crack but it's also quite noisy, like a creaking sound when the suspension is flexed. Is this repairable? If so, what's the best method to repair it? Can it be done on the car?
    1989 Nissan Patrol DX with the td42 (inline pump). No mods yet except black US 16x8 rims with 265 75 16 Ats

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bugger. Got any pics? Find a new housing as it may well be bent. Consider fitting a GU front diff for a great Brake upgrade too. Bolts straight up.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    diff2.jpgduff1.jpg

Can it be welded?
    1989 Nissan Patrol DX with the td42 (inline pump). No mods yet except black US 16x8 rims with 265 75 16 Ats

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lawrence For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (14th June 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as mudrunner td said get a gu dif from wreckers as it will probadly be adout the same cost
    and very little down time with having to strip down thw old diff and take it somewhere to get welded
    and will it be straight when welded
    gu diff will go straight in and no down time patrol back on road by lunch time
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're handy with a welder degrease and wire brush the area then grind I shiny at the very end of the cracks drill them out with a 4mm drill then blaze it up no worries
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a complete housing for $20. If you look on Facebook people can't give them away. Welded some metal on mine so hopefully it doesn't suffer the same fate as yours.
    IMO and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca86 View Post
    If you're handy with a welder degrease and wire brush the area then grind I shiny at the very end of the cracks drill them out with a 4mm drill then blaze it up no worries
    Thanks for the reply guys. The welding option seems like the best bet as any GU diffs would be extremely rare here. I am checking out the option of getting a used GQ diff as well. Can it be welded on the car?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My rear diff on my GQ cracked the same way, on the original welding seam .... I was living in Alice at the time and didn't have much in the way of tools or equipment, so I just took it up to a good welding shop, and a couple of hours later it was all done - on the car ... probably cheaper than I could have done it for anyway
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Lawrence (14th June 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys. The welding option seems like the best bet as any GU diffs would be extremely rare here. I am checking out the option of getting a used GQ diff as well. Can it be welded on the car?
    Oh sorry mate where is St Thomas??? As Macca says it will probably weld up as it looks like a plug weld now which is unusual. Drain the diff and drip to bare metal and weld on the car.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Lawrence (14th June 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Oh sorry mate where is St Thomas??? As Macca says it will probably weld up as it looks like a plug weld now which is unusual. Drain the diff and drip to bare metal and weld on the car.
    St Thomas in Jamaica, Mudrunner . Ok thanks. What type of welding would you suggest? A friend of mine says to use the electric welder (not that I know much about welding).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast