Thread: Coil Tower Braces

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Dr Gary;613404]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
    So I realized I had a huge crack in my driver's side rear coil tower, a common problem it seems with GU's.
    After reading quite a few threads I decided to repair then fit a pair of Boss Coil Tower Braces.
    Easy job if you have access to a hoist, and certainly worthwhile as a preventative measure if you haven't already.
    I went with the Boss ones as they helped pull the tower back into line to make it easy to mig up.
    They are east to fit, just bolt straight in, a couple of the driver's side nuts are a bit of a pain to get on the top, had to bend up a bit of metal to hold it in place, but apart from that a piece of cake.
    Also chucked in a 2" lift and set of 35's while I was at it, looks sweet now! Took her for a drive up the Grampians for the long weekend and she handled beautifully

Looking at your pics, it seems you need to drop the axle and springs, fit the "Boss" then reassemble. It also looks like the rubber isolators fit around the coil tower. Is this correct??? Thanks
    BTW my towers are ok now--just looking for insurance.
    Hi Dr Gary,
    Did my father's with jacks and axle stands, opted for the hoist with mine, saved a heap of time.
    If you're doing it with a jack: Jack from chassis, unplug diff breather, take central brake bracket, then remove shock and the axle drops away, (if you unbolt shock first remember to take diff breather and brake bracket off first), take spring out, remove the bump stop, and if you don't have any damage just bolt the new one in!
    Only tricky bit was 2 of the nuts on drivers side are a pain in the a**e due to their position above the tower with fuel flow and return lines, I just bent a small piece of scrap metal to help hold them until I got the bolt started.
    If yo do have damage I would still recommend fitting the brace first as it helps pull everything together.
    Start with the top 4 bolts first and bolt in the bump stop and chassis bolts last.
    Much easier to do it on a hoist though

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gertie For This Useful Post:

Dr Gary (26th June 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Gertie
    Great information. I will use a hoist and the rest seems straight forward so long as I unhook brake bracket and diff breather. Pretty much as I suspected but best be sure.
    Gary

Hi Dr Gary,
    Did my father's with jacks and axle stands, opted for the hoist with mine, saved a heap of time.
    If you're doing it with a jack: Jack from chassis, unplug diff breather, take central brake bracket, then remove shock and the axle drops away, (if you unbolt shock first remember to take diff breather and brake bracket off first), take spring out, remove the bump stop, and if you don't have any damage just bolt the new one in!
    Only tricky bit was 2 of the nuts on drivers side are a pain in the a**e due to their position above the tower with fuel flow and return lines, I just bent a small piece of scrap metal to help hold them until I got the bolt started.
    If yo do have damage I would still recommend fitting the brace first as it helps pull everything together.
    Start with the top 4 bolts first and bolt in the bump stop and chassis bolts last.
    Much easier to do it on a hoist though
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, does anyone with the "Boss" tower braces fitted know if there are any issues with airbag compatibility?

I don't think my towers braces are cracked, but seriously considering doing this mod before my next big trip, as I tow a 2Te camper and expect to be doing a fair amount of off-road touring in future.

Or suggest any other DIY or not too expensive tower brace options that work with airbags?

Thanks in advance, helpful thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 11,321 Times in 4,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Marshall, I can absolutely agree that you need to tower brace Patrols before your big trip mate! My GU coily ute when purchased was top plate heading upwards so urgently straightened and installed a full ute plate 'Superior' bolt in job after finding. Mrs MB's GU wagon became my next concern as she tows horse floats so PatrolApart kindly installed a bolt in 'Boss Kit' Rossco on here ( @Rossco ) just bought what he believes to be near one of the last made 'bolt in' 'Boss Kits' on his current GQ project!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the Boss coil tower brace kit with Polyair bags last weekend. The brace kit doesn't change anything that might influence the air bag fitting.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

00marshall (21st May 2017), MB (19th May 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,730 Times in 2,681 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 00marshall View Post
    Hi all, does anyone with the "Boss" tower braces fitted know if there are any issues with airbag compatibility?

I don't think my towers braces are cracked, but seriously considering doing this mod before my next big trip, as I tow a 2Te camper and expect to be doing a fair amount of off-road touring in future.

Or suggest any other DIY or not too expensive tower brace options that work with airbags?

Thanks in advance, helpful thread.

I have the spring towers fitted with the Superior Strengthener Kit and also have the towers tied together and bolted thru the floorpan - nothin' is going to move. I have the firestone in-coil airbags fitted and they improve the ride, but was still concerned about the direct stress into the coil tower mount, so have added a set of BOSS 3 rung external airbags. These work between the top of the diff housing and directly into the chassis rail, so no bending moment in play to start bending stuff. I use these in preference to the in-coil units now, however the ride is a bit of a 'wallow' if you put too much air into them to get an extended lift. Just a thought as these take the whole spring mount issue out of play provided the airbags are actually taking the majority of the load. The Superior kit is welded in, and this was the only downside as it was difficult to install on the garage floor situation. I like the idea ofthe bolt in kit especially with comments about them bein g able to pull a slightly bent mount back into position.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

00marshall (21st May 2017), MB (19th May 2017), Rossco (19th May 2017), threedogs (8th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,321 Times in 4,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're much more dedicated and skillful than me Philstar :-) Weld in jobbies on a ute with tray removed would be bareable but a wagon with fuel tanks/lines/body/...... all in the way would be a nightmare I reckon mate :-( Tower Bracing Coily's somehow is a dead set absolute must though at whatever cost we all reckon/agree for safety!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (19th May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,918 Times in 2,751 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah just bought a Boss kit for the GQ, aparently their not making them anyone so I'd get in quick if you want some i reckon. Got mine from patrolapart and picked up the last set they had. Cost a few bob but look like a very nice kit, fully bolt in through factory holes - peace of mind is worth it 4 sure. . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

00marshall (21st May 2017), MB (19th May 2017), Stropp (19th May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,716 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the boss ones as well and installed them before the Simpson trip and have airbags and still have had no problems, well worth the money imho
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

00marshall (21st May 2017), MB (21st May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Yeah just bought a Boss kit for the GQ, aparently their not making them anyone so I'd get in quick if you want some i reckon. Got mine from patrolapart and picked up the last set they had. Cost a few bob but look like a very nice kit, fully bolt in through factory holes - peace of mind is worth it 4 sure. . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    Wow really!! Damn will get on that
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (21st May 2017)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast