Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil Tower Braces

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coil Tower Braces

So I realized I had a huge crack in my driver's side rear coil tower, a common problem it seems with GU's.
    After reading quite a few threads I decided to repair then fit a pair of Boss Coil Tower Braces.
    Easy job if you have access to a hoist, and certainly worthwhile as a preventative measure if you haven't already.
    I went with the Boss ones as they helped pull the tower back into line to make it easy to mig up.
    They are east to fit, just bolt straight in, a couple of the driver's side nuts are a bit of a pain to get on the top, had to bend up a bit of metal to hold it in place, but apart from that a piece of cake.
    Also chucked in a 2" lift and set of 35's while I was at it, looks sweet now! Took her for a drive up the Grampians for the long weekend and she handled beautifully repaired tower.jpgbroken tower 2.jpgbroken coil tower.jpgboss tower brace.jpgwith lift and 35s.jpg

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gertie For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (9th June 2015), Clunk (9th June 2015), MudRunnerTD (13th June 2017), Rocket55 (9th June 2015), Stropp (10th June 2015), threedogs (9th June 2015), torrietunna (31st March 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Boss units are certainly a nicely engineered bit of kit. I had the installed a few weeks ago as a preventative measure. Luckily my coil towers where in good shape, surprising considering the very stiff springs and weight it had carried. I also swapped the old ARB springs for EFS 120/300 kg constant springs and it has transformed the ride and handling plus lifted the car by 2 in has.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they are the goods mate, ive had mine in now for about 8 mths.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed the difference in handling and the way it sits from the rear, certainly something everyone with a GU should check for.
    My dad has a 2004 GU 4.8 with OME 2" lift, and he spends 4 mths of the year towing a caravan around up north, we checked under his and guess what? cracked too, driver's side again (I presume because the sway bar anchors to the drivers side chassis), so another repair done!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gertie For This Useful Post:

Stropp (24th June 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
    I have noticed the difference in handling and the way it sits from the rear, certainly something everyone with a GU should check for.
    My dad has a 2004 GU 4.8 with OME 2" lift, and he spends 4 mths of the year towing a caravan around up north, we checked under his and guess what? cracked too, driver's side again (I presume because the sway bar anchors to the drivers side chassis), so another repair done!
    So how long do you think the coil tower was cracked before you noticed? Was it a lean to one side that alerted you or something else?
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'll be welding in supports on mine soon so I'll do a DIY thread on it.
    Some parts may be laser cut, so pm if anyone is interested
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    So how long do you think the coil tower was cracked before you noticed? Was it a lean to one side that alerted you or something else?
    Sorry Rock Trol have been busy,
    I think it could've been probably over a year, it was only when I got under to have a look at removing LPG & installing long range tank, I was tracing fuel lines back when I noticed.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
    Sorry Rock Trol have been busy,
    I think it could've been probably over a year, it was only when I got under to have a look at removing LPG & installing long range tank, I was tracing fuel lines back when I noticed.
    So they don't usually just separate from the chassis. They just get sloppy as the flex due to the cracks.
    Good thing to know.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    So they don't usually just separate from the chassis. They just get sloppy as the flex due to the cracks.
    Good thing to know.
    Yes they can separate and cause a fair bit of damage.
    uploadfromtaptalk1435138748797.jpg

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Gertie;609302]So I realized I had a huge crack in my driver's side rear coil tower, a common problem it seems with GU's.
    After reading quite a few threads I decided to repair then fit a pair of Boss Coil Tower Braces.
    Easy job if you have access to a hoist, and certainly worthwhile as a preventative measure if you haven't already.
    I went with the Boss ones as they helped pull the tower back into line to make it easy to mig up.
    They are east to fit, just bolt straight in, a couple of the driver's side nuts are a bit of a pain to get on the top, had to bend up a bit of metal to hold it in place, but apart from that a piece of cake.
    Also chucked in a 2" lift and set of 35's while I was at it, looks sweet now! Took her for a drive up the Grampians for the long weekend and she handled beautifully

Looking at your pics, it seems you need to drop the axle and springs, fit the "Boss" then reassemble. It also looks like the rubber isolators fit around the coil tower. Is this correct??? Thanks
    BTW my towers are ok now--just looking for insurance.
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast