Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not happy! EGR?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not happy! EGR?

Ok, here's the story and why i'm not happy.
    I brought my Nissan Patrol wagon no more then four months ago. 2003 ST model, 285000ks, manual, zd motor. Looked in pretty good shape and had full service history. Few extras, cruise control, snorkel, tradie roof rack. I paid $13500 for it which I thought was a fair deal. Since then iv spent more then $6000 just trying to keep it on the road.

First thing was the alternator, belt and tentioner.$1200, repaired at Nissan in Adelaide.
    Second was the MAF sensor, $200 from Nissan in Darwin.
    Third was the head gasket. I had the head refaced, new pistons, rings and bearings, new gasket, bolts ect and glow plugs. I also had a catch can installed. I had it repaired at a mechanic in Melbourne, $4500.
    Plus I have had it serviced twice at roughly $300 each time. All this and iv travelled roughly 15000K's and only four months.
    Now I have only had it back less then two weeks since the head has been repaired and it now has more issues.
    I started loosing coolant, heater stopped working, catch can was full of a yellow paste and the same paste was found under the oil cap. I took it back to the mechanic and he said it's possibly the EGR valve. If its the head gasket again it will repaired under warranty. Can somebody please explain to me what the EGR is and how much I will be up for if I have to have it fixed or repaired.

Its pretty clear that I have purchased a lemon of a car, I'd like to sell it but i'll loose too much money on it now.
    I have always had Fords as personal cars (AU, BA and BF), and have had very little issues with any of them.
    While working in the NT the past few years in conditions most will not understand unless they have been there I have used Hilux's and Landcruisers as work cars, doing serious off road driving and very long highway driving and once again never had an issue.
    So as you can imagine my impression of Nissan has not been very good.
    Here are a couple of photos of the catch can and oil cap.
    [ATTACH]undefined[/ATTACH]A.JPGB.JPGC.JPG

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,318 Times in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like water has mixed with the oil. The egr valve is cooled by water. But if the egr is blocked i doubt this is the issue. If it is the egr, and its not blocked, block it.
    Is there any bubble in the radiator when the engine is running.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought only European patrols had water cooled egr
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca86 View Post
    Thought only European patrols had water cooled egr
    I didnt think they were watercooled until i found water hoses on mine going to the egr valve.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't look like there was bubbles in the radiator. Car is at the mechanics now. How much will it cost to repair/replace?
    Honestly all I want is a car that works. Its so frustrating constantly going to a mechanic every month.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpetersen View Post
    Didn't look like there was bubbles in the radiator. Car is at the mechanics now. How much will it cost to repair/replace?
    Honestly all I want is a car that works. Its so frustrating constantly going to a mechanic every month.
    To repair and replace what though? Depends on whats wrong. Should be covered under warranty yeah? I know you have had a bad run, it certainly leaves a foul taste in your mouth. But i think you've just had bad run with mechanics not fixing the issues properly really.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just did a very quick google search and it looks to be a head gasket going by your pic and google. Could be wrong but those symptoms were saying its moisture mixing with the oil, and you said you have also lost coolant so its unfortunately looking this way to me.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I've been reading about the EGR valve tonight, I can't see how it would have caused the problem so I'm not too sure why the mechanic suggested that it could be that.
    If it is the head gasket again it's covered by warrenty as I only picked the car up two weeks ago from when it was initially repaired.
    To be honest when I'm in the car I love it, love driving it. But to spend over $6000 on maintenance and not actually improving the car is what's frustrating, and of course financially it's come at the worst possible time.
    I'm just hoping when it is repaired again that nothing else will go wrong with it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dpetersen For This Useful Post:

Hodge (1st June 2015)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can't see how water could mix with oil anywhere in the EGR plumbing. ? And I thought only the CRD EGR systems were water cooled. dpetersen has a Di.

CRD EGR

Di EGR
    2005 TD42TI

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

mudski (1st June 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cheers Eric. I must stick my head under closer and see where these hoses go. I just assumed they headed to the egr but couldnt see for sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast