OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Guard Chop for bigger tyres.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

DIY Guard Chop for bigger tyres.

The guard chop has begun.

Tis is the first instalment for a guard chop on a GQ to run bigger wheels. These are 37s and now should fit easy. I have already done the back of the front guards years ago the same way but will do the front of the front guards in the coming weeks. Hope it helps.

Guard cover comes off. I didn't really think about taking this off when I did the respray so the paint won't be finished nicely. Oh well.

Damn the flares have been installed for keeps. 10mm bolt and nut every 50mm!!! Damn it!!! They don't want to come undone.

Guard cover off finally

Marked up the new line.

So I marked a second Line a good 25mm in which will be the new tab and fold.

I cut along the inner line and then folded to the finish line. A few years ago I bought 2 pair of these wide nose vice grips. They are the bomb.

With the clamp set at firm but not full grip the fold and you can use the vice grip to flatten it out. Just increase the vice in stages and keep resetting, works great.

Using 2 pair for the win

I have a cheap set of panel hammers and dies ($30) and these really help allot. Use the die behind the panel and hit the panel

To stop kinks forming I made 3 cuts on the curve at the bottom

Cheap die.

Running out of hands to take pics.

You should be able to get things fairly flat and the foot edge pretty sharp. Don't be shy.

So the back of the guard was repaired by me using fiberglass which won't like being folded. Oh well.

Started raining. 1 guard done. Needs a clean up but will work a treat

Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

93patrol (31st May 2015), AB (31st May 2015), Bloodyaussie (31st May 2015), krbrooking (31st May 2015), threedogs (31st May 2015), Winnie (20th May 2019), Woof (31st May 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff Darren...... I guess you have to be good for something.... ha ha ha.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (31st May 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I take it from your other post that you need a 100mm flare?
    once painted it will look a treat good stuff MR thanks for sharing
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

7. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work Darren. Looks like a lot of fun man. Nice write up as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live life, Love life.
    Snatch straps on towballs can harm and/or kill!!!!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to krbrooking For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you determine where the fold lines needed to be? Was it just a case of taking them out as far as possible whilst leaving some metal between the door in front & the fuel filler behind? Whatever, it looks the part.
    Your previous comment about needing to make wider flares made me smile ..... I wondered “what for”. I can’t see them disguising your monster truck tyres from an eagle eyed plod! Ha ha. Or did you just want to keep the mud off you paintwork.

Oh & I noticed the grass has been cut!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if i am looking at it right but did you actually cut any metal out of the guard or just fold the lip out then fold it all back in to the line you marked? Everyone i know just takes to the guard with the grinder and removes the extra metal. I have never seen it done that way!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Softy View Post
    Not sure if i am looking at it right but did you actually cut any metal out of the guard or just fold the lip out then fold it all back in to the line you marked? Everyone i know just takes to the guard with the grinder and removes the extra metal. I have never seen it done that way!
    Yeah sorry I didn't get a pic when there were 2 lines drawn. When I go the next one I will take a pic of that..

So once I drew the new line which becomes the fold line a drew a second line about 25mm down from that line. This become the cut line and the new tab to attach flares too.

You can kind of make out what has been cut in these couple of pics. Basically the old tab.

The problem with just cutting it all off you then need to face fix a flare or weld tabs back on. If your concerned you could add an extra few cross cuts to help accommodate the curve but it folds fairly easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!!
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 31st May 2015 at 01:35 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Woof (31st May 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    How did you determine where the fold lines needed to be? Was it just a case of taking them out as far as possible whilst leaving some metal between the door in front & the fuel filler behind? Whatever, it looks the part.
    Your previous comment about needing to make wider flares made me smile ..... I wondered “what for”. I can’t see them disguising your monster truck tyres from an eagle eyed plod! Ha ha. Or did you just want to keep the mud off you paintwork.

Oh & I noticed the grass has been cut!
    Hi cuppa, I drew the line while the wheel was still on and just by eye. At both spots the panel is double thick and once cut separate and are the inner and outer, I treated them together and when i fit the flares will bolt back through both sheets .

Lol yeah I used shears to cut the long grass the mower missed when I took the wheels off.

Yeah the big flares are to convince my inner voice that I don't stand out like dogs balls and won't get pinned if I run flares that cover the wheels. Did I mention I Love Night driving

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh yep.... cheers I can see it now.
    Last edited by Softy; 31st May 2015 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job Daz its getting there, should be able to drive it soonish ☺. Need to do the same to my fronts soon so i can get flaps back on and not rub.

I did notice nice job on the lawn too whilst the wheels 's were off.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

AB (31st May 2015), MudRunnerTD (31st May 2015)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast