Thread: losing power

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

losing power

Hey guys, well I'm having issues with my 3L 03 patrol, when I drive around doing a lot of stopping/slowing down and taking off (freeway traffic) or if I need to get my power back quickly (slowing down for a give way but not quite stopping) I end up just blowing out a lot of black smoke and losing all power, and the only way to stop it is stopping the vehicle completely and sometimes even switching off the engine.
    I read through some advice on here, and replaced my MAF and my air filter and gave my intercooler a good clean (noticed a lot of oil on the outside of it near at the bottom), anyway it worked great for a week and now it's back.

Any ideas?
    I'm worried it could be injectors but hoping that it maybe the intercooler (oil on it suggests maybe).

I'm installing a boost gauge once the adapter arrives and I'm getting the NADS done on the 8th ($600 parts and labour good price?).

Cheers guys

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Refresh my memory - didn't you just have a new turbo fitted? NADS is a great idea but I doubt that it will change the problem you are having at the mom. When you replaced your MAF did you disconnect the battery for a few hours. I believe the engine management can retain memory and not "learn" the new MAF or any sensor that you replaced.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the turbo just got replaced, and yes I disconnected the battery for at least an hour (think it was even overnight)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hay mate - I'm no expert, but it sounds like the turbo isn't kicking in to me. It will be interesting to see what your boost is when you fit your gauge. Oil leak from the I/C isn't a problem but air leak is. The oil just accumulates and comes out because of the crimped Nissan OEM I/C. Replace it with a fully welded one. You can get straight replacement from about $300 to $400 or upgraded bigger netter flow etc for as much as you want to spend. I got this one locally.
    http://www.brownsradiators.com.au/sh...ory=Nissan_CAC
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

IronVoid (29th May 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the receipts that came with it suggested codes for the MAF and the MAP. Could this possibly even be my MAP playing up.
    Also diagnostics has shown nothing...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going back to your air leak suggestion though, I'm not 100% sure but I think I can hear what sounds like an air leak but honestly I'm unsure simply because I haven't had a chance to drive this thing in 100% working order so not sure if some sounds are meant to be there. but at the same time surely if it was an air leak it would also be giving me problems in highway cruising wouldn't it?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think MAP influences performance or sends any performance altering data to the ECU on a ZD30.
    2005 TD42TI

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IronVoid View Post
    Going back to your air leak suggestion though, I'm not 100% sure but I think I can hear what sounds like an air leak but honestly I'm unsure simply because I haven't had a chance to drive this thing in 100% working order so not sure if some sounds are meant to be there. but at the same time surely if it was an air leak it would also be giving me problems in highway cruising wouldn't it?
    Could this "air leak" be a vaccum leak maybe? If it is, then your actuator might not be sucked in enough for turbo to spool up properly.
    Unsure if one could "hear" a vaccum leak under the hood, but anyhow, check your vaccum hoses etc...
    2005 TD42TI

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get the gauge and nads in and see what happens. I have a feeling it's more but we'll see. An egt gauge would be handy for this too.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of similarities here I think.
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...8-Losing-boost

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

IronVoid (29th May 2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast