Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: losing power

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More info, it seems to be at it's worst when I'm travelling between 60 and 90km/h. Also seems that once it drops below 2000RPM in that speed range is when the issue really makes itself known.
    Another thing is it seems to also depend on how I drive, if I crawl up to speed on my drive home from work (60km) it doesn't seem to happen, but it's well below normal pickup speed. Basically it mainly happens if I put my foot down a little bit too hard and then have to slow down a little bit. Sorry if this isn't reading very well I'm finding it difficult to explain.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Get the gauge and nads in and see what happens. I have a feeling it's more but we'll see. An egt gauge would be handy for this too.
    I spoke to my local exhaust and 4x4 shop and the guy behind the counter said I shouldn't bother installing it until I get a new exhaust system done, save on labour that way. He said you don't need them and he has been driving his 02 patrol with NADS since it was about 216km and now it's over 400km without an EGT. He said I should if I plan on towing a caravan round the country or putting it under big loads for long periods of time but otherwise my standard temp gauge will tell me if it's getting too bad.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IronVoid View Post
    I spoke to my local exhaust and 4x4 shop and the guy behind the counter said I shouldn't bother installing it until I get a new exhaust system done, save on labour that way. He said you don't need them and he has been driving his 02 patrol with NADS since it was about 216km and now it's over 400km without an EGT. He said I should if I plan on towing a caravan round the country or putting it under big loads for long periods of time but otherwise my standard temp gauge will tell me if it's getting too bad.
    First piece of advise from your local is good advice. The second is rubbish and the last about the standard temp gauge is pure bollocks.

For the second comment, well yeah you don't "need" an EGT gauge, you don't "need" to put a bigger exhaust on, or even install the NADs for a matter of fact. Theres a gazzilion grey nomads cruising our land with a 3T caravan in tow using a ZD30 "Grenade", all stock as a rock with half a billion K's on them too. They don't need it. But like the NAD's, and EGT gauge comes in handy. Think of it like a thermometer for a human. The thermometer tells you a lot about how your body is coping. If your temp is not 37c you know your not quite right. Same goes with your motor. I know with my car when cruising at 100ks on a flat road I should get around the 220c mark in EGTs. Give or take... And around 180-220c at your local street speeds. If I notice any difference in temps I know that somethings not quite right. Using your EGT gauge is a great way to tune the NAD's too. not just going by your boost, knowing how to read the EGT's in relation to your motor is quite important and is very helpful.

The third comment. Any mechanic with half a brain would know that the OEM temp gauge, is something no one should use as an actual reading. Plus the standard temp gauge is water, not exhaust. Two very different things and the only thing is common is that they are gauges. When my car over heated and lost all coolant on the freeway a few weeks back, my temp gauge did not move one bit. Although when I plugged a diagnostic machine into the ECU it told me the engine had overheated.
    That my 2bobs worth. I could go on more but I want to go out a have a drink. Lol... Take with a grain of salt. Or not.
    Cheers.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

IronVoid (29th May 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First piece of advise from your local is good advice. The second is rubbish and the last about the standard temp gauge is pure bollocks.

For the second comment, well yeah you don't "need" an EGT gauge, you don't "need" to put a bigger exhaust on, or even install the NADs for a matter of fact. Theres a gazzilion grey nomads cruising our land with a 3T caravan in tow using a ZD30 "Grenade", all stock as a rock with half a billion K's on them too. They don't need it. But like the NAD's, and EGT gauge comes in handy. Think of it like a thermometer for a human. The thermometer tells you a lot about how your body is coping. If your temp is not 37c you know your not quite right. Same goes with your motor. I know with my car when cruising at 100ks on a flat road I should get around the 220c mark in EGTs. Give or take... And around 180-220c at your local street speeds. If I notice any difference in temps I know that somethings not quite right. Using your EGT gauge is a great way to tune the NAD's too. not just going by your boost, knowing how to read the EGT's in relation to your motor is quite important and is very helpful.

The third comment. Any mechanic with half a brain would know that the OEM temp gauge, is something no one should use as an actual reading. Plus the standard temp gauge is water, not exhaust. Two very different things and the only thing is common is that they are gauges. When my car over heated and lost all coolant on the freeway a few weeks back, my temp gauge did not move one bit. Although when I plugged a diagnostic machine into the ECU it told me the engine had overheated.
    That my 2bobs worth. I could go on more but I want to go out a have a drink. Lol... Take with a grain of salt. Or not.
    Cheers.
    Yea that all make sense to me, I had a sort of sideways look at him when he mentioned it, especially after all the advice I've seen everywhere suggesting otherwise. However it will still wait until I can upgrade the exhaust before putting it in, I have the gauge sitting in my room I just don't have the tools to put it on to a standard exhaust so it will just have to wait.
    Cheers for the advice.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where do you live? I have a dump pipe here with the bung welded in you can borrow until you can afford a new pipe.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you live? I have a dump pipe here with the bung welded in you can borrow until you can afford a new pipe.
    I live in Mandurah WA, if you're sure you don't mind then get back to me with a price for postage and I'll happily take you up on your offer.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Id take it to a 4x4 shop that specalize in Patrols, I had a mechanic tell me once because my intercooler was oily I had "blow by"
    total crock of droppings, As for your mechanic try another, exhaust and water temp are not related. When you have your
    gauges fitted like Mudski suggests you can "drive to your gauges" meaning if you see the EGTs getting hot back it off a bit.
    I NADS my motor at 185K thanks to a member here [Boots], I have not had an issue with it since, I occasionally tow a small camper
    up to the Murray river with no problems at all. Get your gauges fitted ,that will tell you whats going on and then you can adjust any abnormalties
    with your NADS
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12