Thread: New guy with no idea

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New guy with no idea

Hey guys, the title says it all really, this is my 1st post.... I am a locksmith by trade and the only mechanical work i did was in high school and i stripped apart a few small pump engines and then a 4cly motor. However never really dealt with a whole car and motor per say but i do know the basics to it and have a mechanical mind.

I've been doing my research and looking at what sort of car it i have. I got this car off my oldies a while back and they didn't tell me much but now i wish to fix it up as a hobbie and take it camping so i need it to be working fine.

It is a Nissan Patrol 1992 model, takes petrol not diesel and I'm not sure on the oil, maybe the 4.2L... that's all i know. I've have attached pictures of it so and the rego sticker so it may make it easier to identify.
    While doing research I've found that it could be a GQ or a GU... I'm guessing one is petrol and one is diesel.
    Looking at the car manual that came with it I'm putting 2 and 2 together and saying it is a TB42E engine.Snapchat-741025825950666619.jpgSnapchat-1501397020485718321.jpgSnapchat-6311933171126958475.jpgSnapchat-7107818819128509607.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and a GQ Patrol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, how do I tell if it is EFI or carby?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also had a mechanic come do a service on it a while back and he wrote a list of things that needed fixing. I wish to try and do most of them myself to save money. I got myself a repair manual book so I can't go wrong. I've also looked on the patrolapart.com page for all the parts but I'd like to get reassurance off you guys who have more knowledge on this sort of thing then I do.
    Some of the problems i have with my car is that when i take it up about 80kmh and further it starts to vibrate something cronic. Its not the tyre pressure because I have double checked them and they are fine (apart from the fact that i need new ones ASAP haha). I'm not sure if that is related to the LHF axle seal or another thing again?
    Also when i change gears up or down and no matter how slowly and easily I put start to accelerate there is a really big "CLUNK" coming from under the car. I'm not sure if that could be related to the clutch slave cly or something else again?

Any help and links to the right products I need to fix up my car would be a big help.
    Thanks guys

Screenshot_2015-05-14-12-47-58.pngSnapchat--8839665749866112157.jpg

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a start the part you blanked out would tell you... on your vin it will say "tb42e" ..if its an efi.
    Does your engine bay look like this.
    Last edited by Bloodyaussie; 14th May 2015 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Are those mags for a Ti only or were they fitted to all the late model GQ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMFGITZDAV View Post
    I also had a mechanic come do a service on it a while back and he wrote a list of things that needed fixing. I wish to try and do most of them myself to save money. I got myself a repair manual book so I can't go wrong. I've also looked on the patrolapart.com page for all the parts but I'd like to get reassurance off you guys who have more knowledge on this sort of thing then I do.
    Some of the problems i have with my car is that when i take it up about 80kmh and further it starts to vibrate something cronic. Its not the tyre pressure because I have double checked them and they are fine (apart from the fact that i need new ones ASAP haha). I'm not sure if that is related to the LHF axle seal or another thing again?
    Also when i change gears up or down and no matter how slowly and easily I put start to accelerate there is a really big "CLUNK" coming from under the car. I'm not sure if that could be related to the clutch slave cly or something else again?

Any help and links to the right products I need to fix up my car would be a big help.
    Thanks guys

Screenshot_2015-05-14-12-47-58.pngSnapchat--8839665749866112157.jpg
    With such little experience I wouldnt recommend doing it all on ur own. I would suggest having a mate help u.
    As for the vibrations, u have discovered the Very common death wobble. There are a number of thing it could be. Tyres not balanced correctly, bent rims, steering damper is worn out, bushes flogged out... etc. The patrols are bad for it but usually its an easy fix.
    I can do anything the blokes can.
    All Hail the PINK BITS

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Are those mags for a Ti only or were they fitted to all the late model GQ?
    Pretty positive they are a TI mag. The wheel nuts for those things are a bastard. Genuine only and they aren't cheap.
    I can do anything the blokes can.
    All Hail the PINK BITS

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Definitely a TB42E efi GQ model. Maybe a Ti or an ST with Ti rims. Looks like the drivers electric mirror has been replaced with one from a ute. Are the velour seats, leather or some sort of cloth?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (14th May 2015), OMFGITZDAV (18th May 2015)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast