Thread: Gopro or something else??

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Gopro or something else??

Hi all, I would like to record parts of my/our camping/4wding trips, and don't know what sort of camera (IE gopro/phone etc) to get. This is all completely new to me so any info or advice you guys wish to give me will be greatly appreciated. I have read the gopro sticky and there is some good info in there but nothing really about the Hero4 or the remote.
    I mention the phone because I know the phones today can take some great footage but I don't know how robust they are, and I am certainly not up to date with these or their capabilities as I have a Samsung flip phone.

I need this camera/phone to be robust, waterproof, dustproof, have many mounting brackets, be stable when recording, be easy to download and edit footage, be easy to use (I suppose this will become easier with time anyway!), I have a Samsung Tab3 tablet Wi-Fi (not 3G) so if it could sync/bluetooth to this to download some footage when out and about that would be good too (I think)
    Not too sure what else it needs but if anyone has any ideas I will take them on board.

Like I said this is all new to me so please be gentle

Cheers

Greg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Greg,
    I've got an AEE MagiCam SD21 (aee.com), much cheaper than GoPro and comes with an extra battery pack, remote control, water proof case and heaps of mounts. Used it on the Cape trip and attached it to bull bar, dipped it in water on the river crossings and traveled over some pretty rough tracks. Never missed a beat.
    BUT having seen the top of the range GoPro they are impressive and I wish I had one.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

gregs (7th May 2015)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollofish View Post
    Hi Greg,
    I've got an AEE MagiCam SD21 (aee.com), much cheaper than GoPro and comes with an extra battery pack, remote control, water proof case and heaps of mounts. Used it on the Cape trip and attached it to bull bar, dipped it in water on the river crossings and traveled over some pretty rough tracks. Never missed a beat.
    BUT having seen the top of the range GoPro they are impressive and I wish I had one.
    Thanks Apollofish, greatly appreciated. I will have a look at the site.
    Cheers

Greg

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought one of there: http://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer...s/dmc-ft6.html
    The image quality is great, as is the video quality.
    It also has an app and wifi transfer to your smartphone. We've only used this really to grab some off pics and share with family when we're on longer trips.

But the waterproof/dustproof/dropproof features are really good, and it has plenty of preset photo modes if you want to get creative too

We also have a Go Pro ... the biggest downside would be the battery life (can't charge while you use it, even if inside the vehicle). But the footage is awesome!
    2006 GU ST 3.0td manual. CTEK 250S Dual Battery - Ironman 65L Ice Cube - Pioneer AVH-3600DAB - Tough Dog Adj 45mm Shocks, springs and HD steering damper - Airtec Snorkel - King Brown 3" exhaust

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I brought the Aldi one , have found it ok comes in
    clear waterproof case and helmet mount ,
    but will fit most 5/16th ram mounts
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of these http://www.sony.com.au/productcategory/cam-action-cam
    nice compact size, has water proof cover and a remote for it

good bit of kit
    and was cheaper than the gopro's
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget all those and mount one of these suckers in there greg: http://nesscorporation.com/104-550.html
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.