Thread: GU Manual to Auto conversion

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU Manual to Auto conversion

Hi all,

I am toying with the idea of converting my Patrol (2007 - ZD30) from Manual to Auto. My left knee is not in the best of shape and I think an auto probably suites the torque characteristics of the motor better.

What hardware is needed to do a conversion? I won't be doing it myself but want an understanding of the work and parts involved in the conversion.

So far I have thought of:

1. 4 speed auto/torque converter
    2. Transmission cooler
    3. Gear selector & center console cover
    4. Transmission Control Unit/harness

Anything else off the list? With the ECU, is it a straight plug and play on the CRD GU's?
    Has anyone used a Wholesale Automatics Compushift Transmission Control unit (http://www.automatictransmission.com...p?NewsId=40338)? I am wondering if this is better than the stock TCU?
    Last edited by Rock Trol; 6th May 2015 at 09:40 PM.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate,

I don't know whats involved other than it sounds expensive.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

Rock Trol (7th May 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not doing it yourself, I'm sure it would be way cheaper to trade the vehicle for an auto.

If someone tells you they can do it for $10k, you can count on it costing $15k by the time it's running correctly.

Are the diff ratios the same?
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

Rock Trol (7th May 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Apollofish View Post
    Hi mate,

I don't know whats involved other than it sounds expensive.
    Looking at the Wholesale Automatics site it sounds like it would be around $8-9000 but they did say that the GU Patrol is one of the easiest cars to convert as the prop shaft, transfer case etc. can all be used. Both boxes are same length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3RzbLuNTto

My knee feels better today so I am happy with the manual. When the knee starts bothering me my thoughts turn back to the auto. Bugger!
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

jack (7th May 2015), PeeBee (30th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must admit the auto is a pleasure to drive.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    If you're not doing it yourself, I'm sure it would be way cheaper to trade the vehicle for an auto.

If someone tells you they can do it for $10k, you can count on it costing $15k by the time it's running correctly.

Are the diff ratios the same?
    Not sure about the diff ratios. I have 4.3's and I did read somewhere that the auto has 3.9's but I don't know if its correct.
    If the car was anywhere near standard I would be tempted to do that but I have done so much to it that I don't think I would get any of the money back. If I bought an auto GU I could try and transfer all the gear across but not sure how much that would cost. I have had the car for just over 30000 km so I have not had my moneys worth from it or the mods yet.

I am not keen on starting all over on another 3.0 litre GU. Too many little niggly bits that need to be fixed/upgraded. Maybe if a nice 4.8 came along..........

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollofish View Post
    I must admit the auto is a pleasure to drive.
    A lot of people in my club that have changed over to autos (new car) have said that same thing. Some of these guys have been driving 4bys since the 70's. We do a lot of sand hill work and the autos do it so much easier as the tranny will slip or downshift but the manuals lug and stall in really hungry sand.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jff45 is right - it aint cheap if you aren't doing it yourself.

I have done the conversion and bought it all via Wholesale Automatics then did the install with a mate. The install itself isn't that difficult, but then we found neither of us knew how to wire up the Compushift II, TPS etc. and had to get someone to do it, which then made the economics a whole lot less appealing.

That said, I am converted to Auto and love it. The compushift II is fantastic and I am still playing around with various settings.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Rock Trol (7th May 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FNQGU View Post
    jff45 is right - it aint cheap if you aren't doing it yourself.

I have done the conversion and bought it all via Wholesale Automatics then did the install with a mate. The install itself isn't that difficult, but then we found neither of us knew how to wire up the Compushift II, TPS etc. and had to get someone to do it, which then made the economics a whole lot less appealing.

That said, I am converted to Auto and love it. The compushift II is fantastic and I am still playing around with various settings.
    I think if its under $10k its more economical to convert than upgrade. If I can build my knee up a bit more it may not be an issue.
    If I do it I am sure that it will be mush easier to get around. When my engine is kept on boost it flies so I don't think I would regret it.

The other thing is that I could sell the manual. There is no problem with it and it is a later unit that has had all the bugs worked out of it by the factory (5th gear issue).
    Not sure how much they go for.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you end up doing this? I am contemplating the same thing for the same reason. The kit you buy from over east (I am in Perth) is just under $7k so maybe that is the go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast