Thread: Pimp my Patrol!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This got fitted last week!

lmd7pFD.jpg

Do i notice much difference? Not really.
    Do i think it was worth $1700 fitted? Not really. Hard to tell before and after with the chip. The exhaust was definitely noticeable as the wagon stayed in the lower gear for longer. But with the chip, i was told I would notice a similar result.. ie, more lower end torque.

The last thing im going to do for engine performance is have the EGR block fitted, along with the Dawes setup. And then ill get it dyno tested and tuned, and be done with the engine mods I think. Perhaps the tuner will tweak the Steinbauer settings. I just dont want it blowing smoke.

Fitted the 2500 x 2500 ARB Touring awning.

Had difficulty using the Rhino Rack foxwing brackets that ARB recommended for me, because the OCAM Industries alloy roof rack that I have has 32mm tubing on the bottom and an ARB roof rack uses 28mm tubing!

My solution was to use stainless steel hose clamps instead of u-bolts. I also needed to drill a hole 50mm above the bottom hole on the bracket (as the awning bolt spacers are 50mm apart).

nYhXQa9.jpg Is8PVES.jpg

Very happy with the awning and how she sits.

UMC5v07.jpg
    Last edited by skiman; 16th June 2015 at 06:49 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy to report that I used the Patrol in anger (ie 4wd and off road) for the first time last weekend. Got away for some camping with the family and managed to try out the new Oztent RV5 and to see how our camp setup is changing with the new truck.

Stock suspension - man did she SAG! That's with the back section loaded, RV5 on top with some camp chairs and sleeping gear, and without 2 teens in the back and the Mrs in front. Pictures attached for future reference (as the 2" lift is due to go in over the next couple of weeks). Still working out whether to go medium or heavy duty springs... :-/

lIFy2Dq.jpg cV6XqLj.jpg

Other observations

4WD transmission shifts. Struggled getting into 4W High and back into 2W High. Kept grinding gears. Had the Mrs reading the manual trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Managed to finally get it after shutting down the engine and then restarting. Must be something wrong with my technique.

There is a chirp noise coming from what sounds to be the right hand side A pillar. I thought it may have been the gauges I installed, but after opening the drivers window, the sound seemed to be coming from outside the vehicle. It could be the airbox or associated hoses, as when I changed the air filter last weekend, i noticed a similar chirping when i was manipulating the air hoses. Will check it out. Sound was only evident on dirt roads with heavy corrugations.

Dash rattles when cold. Noise disappears when everything has warmed up. Going to disregard and check that screws are tight when I put the RAM mounts into the centre console.

Fan belt squeals after water crossings. Noise disappears after a few minutes driving. From what i've read, this may be a common thing with ZD30s. But will add a new belt to the to-do list and check the pulleys, wheels and bearings when changing the belt.

Rock lodged in brakes. After a water crossing, I heard a screaching that sounded like a rock caught in the pads. Stopped and checked all the wheels and found nothing obvious. Drove again, sound was still present along with some clunking. Stopped again and had a closer look, still found nothing, rotors had no marks on them and nothing caught up under the car. Drove again, it made another clunk and sounded like it dislodged. Drove home with no other issues. Read here that stones can get caught in the rotor guard and it's best to remove them entirely. Will add that to the to-do list.
    Last edited by skiman; 16th June 2015 at 06:51 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to skiman For This Useful Post:

LaughingBeagles (12th July 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A really great thread mate.
    Looking for a 4WD Club in WA that caters solely for Patrol, Safari and Maverick owners? Click here to HERE to visit the Western Patrol Club. Click HERE for the Beagle Mobile Mods!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you ever get your steinbauer working properly
    GU8 Simpson Pack-Auto 2" lift, Dual Batts

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)