Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pimp my Patrol!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,713 Times in 2,489 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking wagon mate, keep up the little bits and she will change before your eyes.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

skiman (13th May 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't had much time to post lately due to work but have been slowly tinkering away with the project.

Removed the Uniden UHF radio and installed my Icom 400 Pro. Had to re-terminate some plugs and drill an extra hole to suit the smaller bracket.

yUWQhqR.jpg

gM0Ey6C.jpg

One thing that I dislike about the Icom is that you need to have the mic hook grounded for it to scan properly. This meant running another wire and fitting a conductive hook (which I wasnt keen for). So i checked for some mods and there was some mention about internally soldering the radio or the handset. Could not find any photos exactly what to do but after some probing I came up with this and it works! Forgive the dodgey soldering, I had to do it in my shed with a cheap portable iron. Also got around to researching how to remove that annoying long beep when you turn the radio on. Have subsequently ordered a programming cable off Ebay and acquired the software to make some long awaited tweaks.

MUUIbQ7.jpg

Next was the job to finish installing the LED front bar lights (same ones as Rocket55 had). The first was a royal pain in the arse because I went about it the hard way and tried to re-terminate a weather proof plug on the car. The 3 pin connector I got from Jaycar was shit and I wasnt happy with how the crimper was terminating the lugs. So i opted for a trusty solder joint and heat shrink that wont bear the effects of corrosion in an acidic muddy environment (at least not as much a connector would). Had difficulty snapping the damn thing into its housing after I mucked around with it, but Rod came to the rescue and told me how to do it First one took me 3 days, second took me 30 mins, lol.

Dodgey photo from the phone.
    27QdLDF.jpg

I also finished attaching the rear dust guard. OMFG what a horse's arse that was. The instructions from Nissan were rubbish and I ended up putting it on my own way. Still undecided about this extra or what the benefit might be... surely they put it on there for a reason?

i3V83BR.jpg

And lastly, the tailgate extension which brings the rear door back so I can slide stuff out of the back without interference.

jm48u4T.jpg

Have also removed the rear seats and plan to pull out the associated seat belts.

Feel that I've really been tested with some hand skills this week and my patience has worn thin. I lost some screws, drove off with some tools still on the bumper, and generally not thinking straight. Every mistake has been a learning experience, I just hope the successes outweigh the hammer throwing.

Now that I've sold my Jeep, it's time to start getting exhaust quotes, thinking about the suspension, and fitting the gauges so I can do the EGR Block and Dawes valve!

Oh, the Scan Gauge II arrived in the mail so I'd like to permafit that into the truck this weekend too.
    Last edited by skiman; 13th May 2015 at 08:14 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to skiman For This Useful Post:

Patrol-Guy (30th May 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since putting in that tail gate extension, have been hearing an odd noise (like a click or a clunk) coming from the back door. Though I'd narrowed it down to the top latch but it's still there after being checked and greased. Need to sit back there whilst someone is driving to pinpoint the location. I haaaaate any kind of rattle.

Today mod was to install my Scan Gauge II.

I plan on installing the EGT and Pyro gauges into a pillar pod soon, so thought I'd better figure out how the cables run from the dash. I had no idea and after looking around the net for an hour, was non the wiser. Even looked in some Patrol manuals to no avail. Seems that when most people post a DIY thread, they just show the finished product... which kind of defeats the purpose of a DIY. So it was Threedogs and Megomonster to the rescue with some timely advice (Thanks guys!! ) and then some dutch courage to rip the A frame trim off.

Here's the A frame trim off after unscrewing the handle (i didnt even break it!). Plenty of room to route the Scan Gauge cable (and the other gauge cables in future!).

iURP9aE.jpg

Stuck my head under the dash, wrangled the Scan Gauge cable up and then tidied everything up with some zip ties. Have only got the Scan Gauge sitting there loose for now and will mount it with velcro onto a dash mat after the gauges go in.

9qLmP27.jpg

Spent 20 mins configuring the new Scan Gauge and reading the manual. Think it's going to be a great tool and trip meter!

For anyone who's putting one in and wants to know what the Diesel Type setting is for a ZD30, its type A.

Think ill pay a visit to Opposite Lock tomorrow and book in for the Beaudesert 2.75" zorst.

Happy Friday all - time to take the edge off the week!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to skiman For This Useful Post:

Patrol-Guy (30th May 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought a new Miller cargo barrier off Ebay for $330 this morning! Stoked. Figured that would be a good mission for Sunday afternoon. Since i was working in that area, I pulled out the rear seat belts as well.

Had a hell of a time re-fitting the original cargo barrier screws because that damn nut plate under the grab handles slipped out. Took me an hour of solid cursing to get those two screws back in.

Dont ever remove these bastard things unless you absolutely have to.
    xfMAPzZ.jpg

As it turned out, I didn't need to remove much of the trim in any case. You can access the rear belts by pulling the upper and lower trim a little.

X39hLGV.jpg

I hate working with trim. Always think im going to break something. Managed to do ok though and learnt a trick to remove the trim plugs and place them on the trim before pressing it back into place (rather trying to slide the trim back into place). Like so..

GyvFDBw.jpg

With some help from the better half, we managed to jiggle the barrier into place, removed the extra steel traps that didnt fit anywhere, threw some washers in with the mounting hardware and presto..

b3IHIp9.jpg

So much space! Just wanna fill it with camping gear and get away

6m5hR7s.jpg

Dog still unimpressed...

lrA586O.jpg
    Last edited by skiman; 17th May 2015 at 09:11 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skiman For This Useful Post:

Clunk (18th May 2015), Patrol-Guy (30th May 2015)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skiman View Post
    Bought a new Miller cargo barrier off Ebay for $330 this morning! Stoked. Figured that would be a good mission for Sunday afternoon. Since i was working in that area, I pulled out the rear seat belts as well.

Had a hell of a time re-fitting the original cargo barrier screws because that damn nut plate under the grab handles slipped out. Took me an hour of solid cursing to get those two screws back in.

Dont ever remove these bastard things unless you absolutely have to.
    xfMAPzZ.jpg

As it turned out, I didn't need to remove much of the trim in any case. You can access the rear belts by pulling the upper and lower trim a little.

X39hLGV.jpg

I hate working with trim. Always think im going to break something. Managed to do ok though and learnt a trick to remove the trim plugs and place them on the trim before pressing it back into place (rather trying to slide the trim back into place). Like so..

GyvFDBw.jpg

With some help from the better half, we managed to jiggle the barrier into place, removed the extra steel traps that didnt fit anywhere, threw some washers in with the mounting hardware and presto..

b3IHIp9.jpg

So much space! Just wanna fill it with camping gear and get away

6m5hR7s.jpg

Dog still unimpressed...

lrA586O.jpg
    What happened to the second row guys ?
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dads tractor For This Useful Post:

skiman (18th May 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming along nicely Skiman, won't be long and I won't recognise it anymore.
    Cheers Rod

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocket55 For This Useful Post:

skiman (18th May 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS. Was it a miller or Milford barrier you got? The mounts suit a Milford barrier.
    Cheers Rod

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The rear cargo area seat belts I just tucked into the top slots, worked a treat out of sight too.
    I have an Icom 440 with remote head, No drilling holes , the main part is mounted under the dash
    and the hand piece is mounted on the centre console via double sided 3M tape.
    Coming along very nicely.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket55 View Post
    PS. Was it a miller or Milford barrier you got? The mounts suit a Milford barrier.
    Ahhh, you're right mate. Its the Milford. I think I'm going to try and find some shorter counter sunk bolts for the bottom straps. Those big knobs stick up under the carpet and cause wear.

Cheers for checking in mate. You raised the bar

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    The rear cargo area seat belts I just tucked into the top slots, worked a treat out of sight too.
    I have an Icom 440 with remote head, No drilling holes , the main part is mounted under the dash
    and the hand piece is mounted on the centre console via double sided 3M tape.
    Coming along very nicely.
    You know, I did consider that AFTER I took the damn things out lol. In the end I justified it to myself as a learning experience, 2 less things that will rattle, and a 1kg weight reduction! LMAO

I like those remote units and have seen plenty installed. Think I'll go that way next time. I sat a lot closer to the radio when it was mounted that way in my Jeep. Heaps more room in the patrol and I have to reach over. First world problems lol. Will reconsider options when I start to run out of mods. My next radio upgrade will be a couple of RFI antennas (1 high dB, 1low).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast