User Tag List

Thread: Pimp my Patrol!

Threaded View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like slow progress, but I took my time today and kept on chipping away.

Today's mission was to wire into the 2A fuse holder onto an ignition power line and tidy up the power loom. Would have got more done but I ran out of heat shrink! Grrr.

Chose to run off the Ignition 2 power line as it ran to a 10A circuit for the aircon. Dug around on the circuit diagram and then went looking for a yellow and black wire (the power side of the aircon fuse). Removed the interior fuse and relay panel (which is held on by three obvious screws.

XGAYlHS.jpg

Fortunately, there was only one yellow and black wire and it looked like a decent gauge, so that must be the power line. I removed the plug from the fuse panel and then checked that I had 12V on that terminal when the car had ignition on - which it did! All good. Used the same procedure as yesterday to splice in a fuse holder that will hold a 2A fuse.

0OVGnWz.jpg UW4fxN0.jpg

One thing I realised (a little too late) was that the fatter gauge wire would take more heat to solder properly. This meant that heat travelled up the wire and started shrinking my heat shrink! Still managed to get it over the joint in the end, but just thought id mention so others will know better. Wrapped the loom back up with eleco tape to keep it all neat and refitted the fuse panel.

7lZEFsp.jpg E5MTtlE.jpg

Then finished the fuse job by soldering the other end of the fuse holder onto the Redarc ELC light controller.

EH4jkmp.jpg

Finally tidied up the power loom with some spirap because it was looking like a rats nest!

Viw0LC2.jpg

Next thing I looked at was the park light power circuit (which is the last connection the light controller needs). Kicked myself because I probably should have done this whilst I had the fuse panel off! But after digging through some more circuit diagrams, I realised that the park light power line is the same blue with black trace wire that I wired across the dimmer switch previously. Confirmed this with the multimeter and was getting 12V when I turned the park lights on. Happy days! Here are the circuit diagrams if anyone wants them.

DGoAdB5.jpg ibWwuIG.jpg

Tomorrow's jobs...

1. Get some more heat shrink
    2. Attach the power loom to the light controller
    3. Run the sensor wires up to the A pillar
    4. Run the internal and external temp sensors from the A pillar through to their positions
    5. Trial mount the pillar pod and then fix the gauges in their final positions with some Sikaflex
    6. Complete the vehicle connections from the dimmer, power, park lights and earth to the light controller.

7. Read up on how to change the major filters (air, fuel, oil)
    Last edited by skiman; 30th May 2015 at 06:20 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to skiman For This Useful Post:

LaughingBeagles (5th June 2015)