Thread: Scratch remover

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scratch remover

Hey guys go a doezy of a scuff/scratch in the clear down passengers side from an unfriendly tree what do you guys use to remove scratches and what's your success like?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    go get your Patrol detailed with a cut and polish,
    if its too deep it may need to be filled by a panel shop
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

4. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

toad_au (6th May 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it's deep into the paint, you need to cut and polish. You need a good product (sorry SCA) like Meguiars and that can be expensive. It may be easier and cheaper in the long run to get a mobile car detailer. Again, m ake sure you get a detailer not just a mobile car wash guy.
    Ptiiy your not closer, my son is a detailer and I get him to do mine a couple of times a year. I have learnt from him that half assed jobs or product just don't work.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

toad_au (6th May 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yeah X 2 young guy across the road details too and take plenty of time doing things you wouldnt
    think of doing, very thorough in deed, worth the money as its only once or twice a year
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

8. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

toad_au (6th May 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depending on the depth, but a good cut should get rid of it.

Obviously followed by a polish then wax.

If your feeling game, a fine grit (1600+) sanding with da sander then a series of cuts, gradually getting finer and finer, then polish etc will get rid of most.

Or call up the touch up guys. or local panel and paint
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lhurley For This Useful Post:

toad_au (6th May 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a question on this as well. If the car is finished with a clear coat doesn't a cut and polish result in a dull patch?
    Just asking as my wifes car (naturally a Nissan) had a mark on the roof (dried bird crap), I did a light cut and polish but now shows up as a dull spot. It's a very dark coloured car.
    Because of this I haven't been game to touch mine.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

toad_au (6th May 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trade the vehicle in for a new one.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollofish View Post
    I've got a question on this as well. If the car is finished with a clear coat doesn't a cut and polish result in a dull patch?
    Just asking as my wifes car (naturally a Nissan) had a mark on the roof (dried bird crap), I did a light cut and polish but now shows up as a dull spot. It's a very dark coloured car.
    Because of this I haven't been game to touch mine.
    Potentially what has happened is that the bird dropping weren't cleaned from the surface correctly leaving you starting on the wrong foot. Could also have been crap cut and polish.

I have found that doing a cut and polish in the sun or anywhere other then basically inside the shed, leaves a less then desired result.

Another thing, did you do a full detail (wash, dry, cut and polish, then wax) or just wash off the poop then had a go with the polish? What polish were you using?

Not having a go mate, just trying to give you the best answer. I don't do this for a job but I take a lot of pride in having a well looked after car. No joke spent 5 hours cleaning it on Monday
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lhurley For This Useful Post:

jack (6th May 2015), katwoman (6th May 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am lucky enough to have a hubby that cut and polishes my car quite regularly, cos we have all the gear. Cant help much with brands as we get it in bulk from local paint shop, but try a product called 'scratch X'. I think its meguiars... On silver/white/gold cars seems to work ok. Also be aware if you do it yourself, That you dont get finger marks on the paint by rubbing too hard. I would get a small electric buffing machine with the foam pad or a GOOD QUALITY sheep skin pad.. Also make sure you get 2pac polish. ( if thats what your car is painted in.)
    And lastly dont listen to those who tell you that the scratches give your car 'character'... They are full of it.

A note on the bird poo, If its not washed off straight away, you'll find the acid in the poo does the damage and its hard to get rid of.
    KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Not as pretty, but a whole lot tougher
    Silent member 1208
    Yes Michael, I bought a JEE.....60.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katwoman For This Useful Post:

HuskyInAuz (7th May 2015), jack (6th May 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katwoman View Post
    I am lucky enough to have a hubby that cut and polishes my car quite regularly, cos we have all the gear. Cant help much with brands as we get it in bulk from local paint shop, but try a product called 'scratch X'. I think its meguiars... On silver/white/gold cars seems to work ok. Also be aware if you do it yourself, That you dont get finger marks on the paint by rubbing too hard. I would get a small electric buffing machine with the foam pad or a GOOD QUALITY sheep skin pad.. Also make sure you get 2pac polish. ( if thats what your car is painted in.)
    And lastly dont listen to those who tell you that the scratches give your car 'character'... They are full of it.

A note on the bird poo, If its not washed off straight away, you'll find the acid in the poo does the damage and its hard to get rid of.
    X2 on bird poo. I got spray painted by a Pelican. Had to buff the marks out. Well my son did - not me.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

jack (6th May 2015), katwoman (6th May 2015)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast