OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installation of Steel Mate 386M Central Locking Kit.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installation of Steel Mate 386M Central Locking Kit.

Hello All,
    After putting up with no Remote Locking for about 2 years, I decided to do something about it.

Went to the local Nissan Dealer, Replacement Remote - $ 167.00
    Now I had idea they were expensive, but wasn't expecting that much.

Checked Mister Minute at the Local Shopping Centre - $ 150.00

Decided to look at replacing the Central Locking device.

After looking on this site, it looked like a unit from JB Hi Fi was the go.

Went to JB Hi Fi, they no longer sell them.

On the same thread they mentioned the Steel Mate 386M, from Jay Car, and so I decided that would have to do.

Reading through many threads, it all looked pretty straight forward.

It wasn't.

To make it easier for everyone, I am going to put up the information, that I could not find.

Now my Nissan Patrol is a 2005 ST-S
    My only problem was, one Remote did not work at all, and the second one was chewing through Batteries, in a Week.

The Drivers side Keylock locked all the Doors, like it should. The Passenger Side, and Rear Key Locks never worked from the day I bought the car, so they didn't matter.

I used all of the existing Actuators, and Only used 4 Wires.

In the end, I had all 5 Doors locking and Unlocking, like they should.

The Only thing I havn't got is, Indicators Flashing when the Remote is pushed.

I can live without that for now.

My Car does not have an Alarm, so that also was not an issue.

Maybe somebody else may be able to add to this Thread later, with the correct Wires required, to get them working also.

After finding the existing Remote Control Box behind the Glove Box.
    I was going to add a photo, but I am not yet sure how to do that. There is a photo on another Thread.

I removed the Unit, and the Bracket it was attached to.

I screwed the New Bracket to the same Plate, but had to relocate it higher, to get the Glove box back into position.

I Joined the Red (active) Wire from the Kit, to the White / Red Stripe Wire of the Car.
    The Green Wire from the Kit, to the Solid Blue Wire from the Car.
    The Blue Wire from the Kit, to the Blue / Red stripe from the Car.
    The Black Earth Wire from the Kit, I put to Earth. I used the Screw I used to fix the Bracket to the Car.

The 3 Wires I used from the Car, were the 3 thicker ones.

And that is it.

I Cut off 2 of the Green and Blue Wires, but decided to keep the 3rd set, plus the other 3 Wires, because I will need some of them, if I find out how to fix the Flashers, or decide to add an alarm. I just taped them together, and now they sit on top of the Glove box.

I didn't need to take the Door Panels off about 4 times.

OK, like I said, I havn't got the Indicators Flashing, and I didn't have to worry about the Alarm.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Br For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (13th August 2016), MudRunnerTD (20th August 2016), oxmann (13th August 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jeff.....just brought one for 1992 GQ and have yet to install but your explanation has taken the bite out of any muckup i may do.........when i brought mine i asked the guy at Jaycar if the flashers would work and he said he had a conversation with another person in regard to that question and they said the brown wire hooked into the turn signal/flasher wire should do the trick, so i will give that ago as well.......so hopefully that helps you also. cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 641 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solid first post Jeff, very informative! Welcome to the forum!
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey oxman, really interested in what you think of the unit with install and how it works when it is in. I have a 92 GQ/Mav as well and looking to put in a keyless entry. Actuators are gone in the back doors I will need to replace all.
    Cheers Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmann View Post
    Thanks Jeff.....just brought one for 1992 GQ and have yet to install but your explanation has taken the bite out of any muckup i may do.........when i brought mine i asked the guy at Jaycar if the flashers would work and he said he had a conversation with another person in regard to that question and they said the brown wire hooked into the turn signal/flasher wire should do the trick, so i will give that ago as well.......so hopefully that helps you also. cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will let you know as soon as i have done it.......just need to find the existing module......cheers

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmann View Post
    Will let you know as soon as i have done it.......just need to find the existing module......cheers
    The module is behind the glove box, sort of about it towards the centre of the dash....
    Different brand locking system but this may help...
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...der-20-minutes

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

oxmann (14th August 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mudski.....i pulled the glove box out and looked high and low and couldn't find a damn thing, apart from the door lock timer on the left,looking in the wrong place i think,I will do it again with more emphasis on looking behind the middle dash.Its on a 1992 GQ and i have yet to come across a pic anywhere on the net showing where it may be.The closest i have come to a pic is on your thread........will find it in the end for sure.... cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I pulled my glovebox out to find the central locking module ....not there, pulled the middle dash out no module.I hunted high and low there is no module in my wagon.I spent most of today looking, took the RF panel off to see whats in there.Previous owner by the looks of it has had a alarm in wagon plus a phone cradle hard wired in there as well.I should of taken some pics when i had every thing hanging down from under dash....I did find find above brake pedal alot of extra wiring namely a couple of relays wired up in tamden.There were two wires blue and green coming out of drivers door that are hooked up to the actuator and these headed back to the area above fuse holder and have been spliced into loom that is connected to these two relays.
    My question is can I just connect my keyless entry module up to these two wires coming out of door ???cause at the moment Im lost in the bush on this one. So in a nutshell i'm hoping this will be a quick fix as the central locking is working sweet and tapping into the main actuator only, should get them all working ...am I correct ?? Any help gratefully appreciated folks cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thread dig, but I have just fitted one of these Jaycar $49.95 jobbies. Used 6 wires to get all the locks opening and closing and getting the blinkers to flash. Took me an hour or two but worked first time! I used the existing plug from the Nissan Keyless circuit board, wired into it and all is well.

There is a good write up on the "other" site by Phildo so I wont repeat it here.

Mods if putting a link to the other site is off limits please feel free to edit.
    Last edited by TimE; 8th February 2018 at 11:22 AM.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    Mods if putting a link to the other site is off limits please feel free to edit.
    All good putting in links now mate

But I would also say its still worth copying the info across ( and give credit from whom and where in your post ) just in case their forum shuts down for some reason or another...... or gets another virus
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast