Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distribution Panel or other

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Distribution Panel or other

Ive got a situation where I had an autoelec mate do some wiring for my dual battery down to the rear of my car, but I never had a T piece or other to run power under the dash at the front of my car so I can add those additional 12v things that keep coming along, his advice was if ya dont need it now dont put one in, so now as I expected I need a distribution panel set up in the front of my GU to add 3 things to. The panels are made by plenty and many options but thats not my problem.

The problem is when he later installed a uhf he tagged into the 6B&S under the floor trim panel directly below the passenger door, the step panel ill call it

My question is this, Is there a T peice available to run a 6B&S splittter so to speak from this section to under the dash to a distribution panel.

Or do I need to solder it and tape it up, Ive looked around and found some things that are similar but not suitable for my application.

Ive been to Jaycar and they have nothing, the closest Ive found is at Supercrap with 1 x 6B&S in to 3 x distribution outs but not a 6B&S out.

Just trying to keep it all clean, but feel that may have already been abused by tagging it in the first place.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers
    Smooth
    Lifes a journey not a destination.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    g-day mate...
    maybe something like this from Ebay
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BLUE-SEA-...item418cb981cd

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Malgreen For This Useful Post:

Smoothrun (30th April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to say use a bus bar or you can do what I'll be doing.

Use a fuse block in the passenger kick panel like this one
    http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/301518048768?nav=SEARCH

You then simply run your power feed in and out into the same stud on the fuse block. The advantage of this is it gives you 6 fused circuits you can use as opposed to a busbar that will need individual fuses any way

The only disvantage to this is it doesn't allow for high current loads like a compressor or amplifier but doubt you'd be using these up front any way ( only because the Max fuse size is 40amp)
    Last edited by lucus30; 30th April 2015 at 11:45 AM.
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lucus30 For This Useful Post:

Smoothrun (30th April 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, ultimately thats where I was gunna end up,

I looked at both of those and a watching them on ebay, Malgreen was on the same road I was but its a bit too big for under my step, what I was hoping to do was connect something in line where the uhf is tagged in so I wouldnt have as many joins in my cable.

As the cable is already run extending it can only be achieved if I replace the feed through the firewall directly to a Dist panel, and then leave the uhf where it is tagged in, but make sure the feed from the back is cut long enough to reach the Dist panel mounting position.

Otherwise id have to run 2 seperate feeds (1 in 1 out) to whats already installed.

Bit messy that way but.

Thanks for your input

Smooth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothrun View Post
    Thanks guys, ultimately thats where I was gunna end up,

I looked at both of those and a watching them on ebay, Malgreen was on the same road I was but its a bit too big for under my step, what I was hoping to do was connect something in line where the uhf is tagged in so I wouldnt have as many joins in my cable.

As the cable is already run extending it can only be achieved if I replace the feed through the firewall directly to a Dist panel, and then leave the uhf where it is tagged in, but make sure the feed from the back is cut long enough to reach the Dist panel mounting position.

Otherwise id have to run 2 seperate feeds (1 in 1 out) to whats already installed.

Bit messy that way but.

Thanks for your input

Smooth
    You could always solder it if you wanted
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well my plan for this is this.

main cable from battery to the rear, nothing joining in on to it..
    2nd cable to the middle ( i plan to put my inverter somewhere in the middle ) to small junction box. ( for future ideas,,lol )
    3rd cable running just to the front of the cab,, i was thinking about hooking my stereo and uhf in to the 2nd battery but i thought why? stereo wont be on
    when relaxing camp as my Bluetooth speaker and tablet will do my tunes.. hand a handheld uhf for keeping an ear on the airwaves...
    but in the cab are i will have all cig sockets to the aux battery and usb charge points. when i get one, a 27mhz cb will be installed up front too on the aux battery..

i know this involves 3 lots of cables through the car but if one fails, i dont lose everything...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malgreen View Post
    well my plan for this is this.

main cable from battery to the rear, nothing joining in on to it..
    2nd cable to the middle ( i plan to put my inverter somewhere in the middle ) to small junction box. ( for future ideas,,lol )
    3rd cable running just to the front of the cab,, i was thinking about hooking my stereo and uhf in to the 2nd battery but i thought why? stereo wont be on
    when relaxing camp as my Bluetooth speaker and tablet will do my tunes.. hand a handheld uhf for keeping an ear on the airwaves...
    but in the cab are i will have all cig sockets to the aux battery and usb charge points. when i get one, a 27mhz cb will be installed up front too on the aux battery..

i know this involves 3 lots of cables through the car but if one fails, i dont lose everything...
    UHF would be better on the AUX battery just in case you leave it on, no harm done.
    On my other 4x4 I ran everything from the AUX battery,, stereo included, it was no big deal to turn it off and on when needed
    but I had peace of mind I would not be flatening my start battery, From the AUX battery I ran some solid figure 8 along the
    chassis to the rear bumper terminating in a 50 amp anderson plug , fused near the battery did the same at the front. It
    gave me the option of where I drew my power for camp lighting, plus I could fit a solar panel if required
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok as i expected those are my options. Everything runs off tbe Aux which is what i wanted. Just wish it had of been wired first time as i wanted. Just a pity no ones got a T junction to simplify it.

Did read somewhere over the last week Middys or L&H had one for 240v. Might suss that out too.

Cheers
    Last edited by Smoothrun; 2nd May 2015 at 06:54 PM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Smoothrun.

I'm no auto electrician but I can do a reasonable job if I try so I made up a distribution box that is fully fused for most of my extra add-ons and they are many.
    I used some heavy cable directly from the second battery on the passengers side and drilled a hole in the firewall just above the passenger foot rest but close to the transmission hump for an easier cable run. I installed a water proof grommet and ran the cable through (2 of each + & -) one goes to the Fridge with Anderson plug and the other to the fused distribution panel. I made a hinged fold down shelf behind the front 2 seats for the remote head radios and distribution box to sit on, its mounted to the cargo barrier and it's up close to the ceiling out of the way. So all other accessories are into the dist-panel, 4 radios, internal LED lights, inverter etc. I can do photos if you want.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr-T View Post
    Hi Smoothrun.

I'm no auto electrician but I can do a reasonable job if I try so I made up a distribution box that is fully fused for most of my extra add-ons and they are many.
    I used some heavy cable directly from the second battery on the passengers side and drilled a hole in the firewall just above the passenger foot rest but close to the transmission hump for an easier cable run. I installed a water proof grommet and ran the cable through (2 of each + & -) one goes to the Fridge with Anderson plug and the other to the fused distribution panel. I made a hinged fold down shelf behind the front 2 seats for the remote head radios and distribution box to sit on, its mounted to the cargo barrier and it's up close to the ceiling out of the way. So all other accessories are into the dist-panel, 4 radios, internal LED lights, inverter etc. I can do photos if you want.
    Cheers
    Thanks Mr T.
    my wiring is all completed down the back. Fridge,compressor,lighting, baintech panel with. 2 x cigs 1 x merit.
    Ive decided to run another + - feed for the panel directly underneath the glove box. Ill make a bracet to suit. Ive already run some trailer cable for light add ons if needed down tbe back. These can be used from the dist panel when needed. Seems to be the best approach for my application so ill go with that

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast