User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gauge Wiring Help

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok sweet cheers!! I think that makes far more sense!! Lol will give it a go & see what happens!
    2006 GU IV ST MAN 3.0TD - UHF, Boost & EGT Gauges, NADS, Pro Vent 200, Snorkel, Tigged IC, 2" Lift, Dual Battery System & Still lots to come!
    Got a Patrol in WA CLICK HERE - Just Go There!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, I have exactly the same gauges as you and probably just as much experience lol, any chance you might be able to explain where you ended up connecting everything to get it to work?

Cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IronVoid View Post
    Hey mate, I have exactly the same gauges as you and probably just as much experience lol, any chance you might be able to explain where you ended up connecting everything to get it to work?

Cheers
    Gday IronVoid, I just completed a gauge install incl dimmers. All the info and a circuit diagram is in my build thread (check signature block for a link). Cheers and good luck with your install.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pick up a dash light circuit from somewhere, I used the blue wire that goes to the "Power/Normal/Hold" switch for the auto (mines a manual so this plug was unused) for the +Ve feed to your gauge lights and for the earth I pulled the corner of the dash apart to get to the back of the dimer switch and connected the negative wire to the PINK wire, now the gauge lights only come on with the headlights AND they dim properly with the dimer switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cheers Rod

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket55 View Post
    Pick up a dash light circuit from somewhere, I used the blue wire that goes to the "Power/Normal/Hold" switch for the auto (mines a manual so this plug was unused) for the +Ve feed to your gauge lights and for the earth I pulled the corner of the dash apart to get to the back of the dimer switch and connected the negative wire to the PINK wire, now the gauge lights only come on with the headlights AND they dim properly with the dimer switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hey Rod..
    Just installed a set of Autotecnica gauges and dam they are Bright..
    So these gauges run a positive (red), negative (black of course) and accessories (yellow). The signal wire is green..
    Would you say I need to wire in the black as you did to the dimmer Pink wire to have the back light dim??
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    Hey Rod..
    Just installed a set of Autotecnica gauges and dam they are Bright..
    So these gauges run a positive (red), negative (black of course) and accessories (yellow). The signal wire is green..
    Would you say I need to wire in the black as you did to the dimmer Pink wire to have the back light dim??
    I would think so mate.

Out of interest, what's the yellow wire for?
    Cheers Rod

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Autotechnica gauges I had were just cheap shit. Yellow is the memory wire, should be on constant 12v to keep the backlight colour setting.

These gauges like so many now use LED lighting and do not work well with dimmed circuits. Bad thing is, they are way to bright for night work, even on red.
    Before mine were yanked and binned, I resorted to drop resistors to get them as low as possible before they started playing up then used window tint to darken them some more.

As for the wiring, I didn't bother with switched back-lighting, just had them on when ignition was on.
    There is no legal cure for STUPID!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket55 View Post
    I would think so mate.

Out of interest, what's the yellow wire for?
    Well not 100% sure. In the box they have a display setup. And run 2 x 9v batteries.
    Both red and yellow are twitched together to positive...
    I might pull the fuse. See what doesn't work. ..

I currently have red fused to engine control using a piggy back, and yellow into accessories on the key barrel.. and black to earth..
    Last edited by BigRAWesty; 12th June 2016 at 07:59 AM.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried following your wiring procedure step by step. after finishing I noticed that when I adjust the lights with the dimmer switch my gauges go mental. There is Boost, pyro, water temp and oil pressure, the are autotechina brand, all the yellow wires are the positive for the lighting and all black are negative. I have had to revert back to all thee yellows going to headlight wire and black to negative, any advice would be appreciated as the lights are very bright at night

Could I get away with wiring all the yellow wires to a p+ in the lighting circuit some where that is controlled by the dimmer switch?
    Last edited by SKID; 3rd July 2016 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKID View Post
    I have tried following your wiring procedure step by step. after finishing I noticed that when I adjust the lights with the dimmer switch my gauges go mental. There is Boost, pyro, water temp and oil pressure, the are autotechina brand, all the yellow wires are the positive for the lighting and all black are negative. I have had to revert back to all thee yellows going to headlight wire and black to negative, any advice would be appreciated as the lights are very bright at night

Could I get away with wiring all the yellow wires to a p+ in the lighting circuit some where that is controlled by the dimmer switch?
    Pretty sure I read the patrol is regulated on the earth..
    So tapping the yellow positive into a negative dimming circuit may be not good..
    I'm going to simply add a diode to the yellow wires to reduce voltage untill the led is a nice output. .
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12