Thread: Marks transfer gears AGAIN!!!!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marks transfer gears AGAIN!!!!

Well it's time to start this thread up again. I found an old thread on the net but can't identify it on here to continue it so I'm starting again. I am researching alternative transfer gear ratios but my application is a little different to most. I've got a heavy GU trayback camper combination. It quite often drops under turbo influence and stalls in 2nd low climbing and I then have to try and get it going again. I'm on the brakes even in 1st descending. The idea of backing it down a hill with the current gearing doesn't bare considering. I originally thought something around 2.5:1 would be sufficient but then (like everyone else) am now stuck between 2.86 and 3.74. If I was confident the 50.1:1 1st and similar reverse with the 2.86 gearing would allow both controlled descents and rock stepping on steep ascents without stalling it appears to be the best of both worlds. 2nd gear in the ratio looks handy and 3rd is closer than currently. The guys at Marks have sent me a speed calculator but in reality what is the difference between 3.7 and 5.2 kph when descending a steep hill? And what is the effect on engine braking? l see the original thread came from Macca and GUUTE both with gu ute's. Can either of you or anyone else update your experience's since 2012 and hopefully some relevant to my situation. Much appreciate any input

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry mate I have to do it again.... just to hard to read with no spacing...

Well it's time to start this thread up again.

I found an old thread on the net but can't identify it on here to continue it so I'm starting again.

I am researching alternative transfer gear ratios but my application is a little different to most.

I've got a heavy GU trayback camper combination. It quite often drops under turbo influence and stalls in 2nd low climbing and I then have to try and get it going again.

I'm on the brakes even in 1st descending. The idea of backing it down a hill with the current gearing doesn't bare considering.

I originally thought something around 2.5:1 would be sufficient but then (like everyone else) am now stuck between 2.86 and 3.74.

If I was confident the 50.1:1 1st and similar reverse with the 2.86 gearing would allow both controlled descents and rock stepping on steep ascents without stalling it appears to be the best of both worlds.

2nd gear in the ratio looks handy and 3rd is closer than currently. The guys at Marks have sent me a speed calculator but in reality what is the difference between 3.7 and 5.2 kph when descending a steep hill? And what is the effect on engine braking?

l see the original thread came from Macca and GUUTE both with gu ute's. Can either of you or anyone else update your experience's since 2012 and hopefully some relevant to my situation. Much appreciate any input

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Some one here did a group buy on a particular ratio, I think it was 63-1,
    it was inbetween whats available
    Ben-e-boy will know more

edit,,, group buy was last year I think as well
    found it here you go.
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...eduction+gears
    Last edited by threedogs; 28th April 2015 at 11:58 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that. I have made enquiries with them now. I checked the ratios on a fuso 4x4 with a 8000 kg GVM as some sort of comparison and the 1st low ratio is 57.69:1, almost the same as these 63% reduction gears your talking about. This vehicle is twice the weight of mine. I'd still like to hear some persona; experience if possible. Even a GU 4.2 TD towing a camper trailer in the Vic Alps with reduction gears would be good.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just digging around and came across this, sorry about the grave dig

I have 63% gears on order and will have them very soon, I did the original group buys.

My truck weighs ~ 4T when touring, and I have found that it took it from terrifying to wonderful in one go. I love the ratio and have sold alot of sets and no one has had anything buy glowing reviews about the ratio choice.

Cheers, Andy
    97 patrol coilcab ute. 4" lift, snorkel, 315/75R16 cooper S/T's. and about 200rwhp and some expensive bits and pieces

Organising a group buy for 63% transfer reduction gears, check the link here

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to love ke70 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (5th October 2015), threedogs (5th October 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by love ke70 View Post
    I was just digging around and came across this, sorry about the grave dig

I have 63% gears on order and will have them very soon, I did the original group buys.

My truck weighs ~ 4T when touring, and I have found that it took it from terrifying to wonderful in one go. I love the ratio and have sold a lot of sets and no one has had anything buy glowing reviews about the ratio choice.

Cheers, Andy
    I've just read your whole thread Andy. Not sure why I didn't see it when I was researching these gears. Have had Marks 2.86 installed and at this stage am very happy. I have to use low range a lot to keep within turbo influence with my heavy combination and on a Simpson crossing stayed in low range the whole way. I have standard tyres and feel that anything lower than what I have would have me going between low and high and be a pain in the arse. I have descended a relatively steep hill in the Gammon ranges since and did not need to use brakes which is exactly what I was after. Along with a controllable reverse ratio and a 2nd that does not stall. That bit is yet to be really tested. I would suggest that anyone reading this, if you have a turbo diesel with standard tyres the 43% reduction is very good and anything more would be to slow. If you have larger tyre sizes I would seriously consider Andy's 63's.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate, I think you are on the money there.
    97 patrol coilcab ute. 4" lift, snorkel, 315/75R16 cooper S/T's. and about 200rwhp and some expensive bits and pieces

Organising a group buy for 63% transfer reduction gears, check the link here