Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: DIY Snorkels

Thanks
    Thanked 20,773 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the pic Brett and suggestions everyone.

The problem is that I'm running 4" and all the other bits are 3".

Yes mate, thats what I'm thinking I might have to do, leave the square connection and find a 3" to 4" reducer to put on and hose clamp it.

I just don't trust that poxy little 75mm x75mm square connection that is already on there. I'll fix that as well whilst I'm doing it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made my own snorkel out of 90mm pvc storm water pipe. It cost me $27 for the pipe and fittings (2x 90 bends, 2 x 45 bends 1 x 22.5 bend and 1 x storm grate/grill). My GQ has the 2nd or pre-cleaner air filter in behind the left head light. The snorkel feeds into it and my mechanic mate suggested I leave the filter in, which I have. I'll chuck some photos up in a day or two.

I've had no problems with the pvc breaking, but even if it does it is cheap as cheaps to replace. The mounting brackets I made from flat aluminium bar which I bent in my vice. It is all painted matt black. You'll have to form your own opinion of how it looks when I post the pics, but I have had quite a few complimentary comments in car parks etc.

I pop-riveted and glued most joints, but used screws with star washers for the snorkel head as I have some fly screen wire in there as a fliter to stop bugs being rammed down to the precleaner filter. My local panelbeater let me borrow his 'nut serter tool' to insert 4 "captive" nuts into the guard. He didn't want anything for it and wouldn't take any money, but I dropped off a carton of crownies the next day.

So the total cost was about $75 with the crownies.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarian51 View Post
    I made my own snorkel out of 90mm pvc storm water pipe. It cost me $27 for the pipe and fittings (2x 90 bends, 2 x 45 bends 1 x 22.5 bend and 1 x storm grate/grill). My GQ has the 2nd or pre-cleaner air filter in behind the left head light. The snorkel feeds into it and my mechanic mate suggested I leave the filter in, which I have. I'll chuck some photos up in a day or two.

I've had no problems with the pvc breaking, but even if it does it is cheap as cheaps to replace. The mounting brackets I made from flat aluminium bar which I bent in my vice. It is all painted matt black. You'll have to form your own opinion of how it looks when I post the pics, but I have had quite a few complimentary comments in car parks etc.

I pop-riveted and glued most joints, but used screws with star washers for the snorkel head as I have some fly screen wire in there as a fliter to stop bugs being rammed down to the precleaner filter. My local panelbeater let me borrow his 'nut serter tool' to insert 4 "captive" nuts into the guard. He didn't want anything for it and wouldn't take any money, but I dropped off a carton of crownies the next day.

Seriously mate, if it works and is that easy and cheap to repair, who gives a rats if it's not as "clean" as retail units!!! Top job and look forward to the pics.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yep thats the stuff I was on about, just couldn't think of what it was called at the time........ I put it down to tiredness but it was more likely down to stupidity hahahahahaha

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.isx.com.au/brian/3.JPG

there ya go 4" snorkel on mine, goes through the guard to donaldson filter then thru piping to the supercharger, i removed the crappy pizzabox as i found it pretty useless.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghost For This Useful Post:

creaper (18th November 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shes a ripper. Nice easy build
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have a chat to your local performance exhaust crowd - they flared some pipe for me - but I don't know how far they can go with just that.

Regardless they'd have some sort of solution - perhaps including something that goes straight onto your air filter box thus avoiding that wobbly one screw joint!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photos as promised

Here are the photos of my DIY snorkel made from 90mm pvc storm water pipe. If anyone considering this as an option and has any questions, just ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here are the photos of my DIY snorkel made from 90mm pvc storm water pipe. If anyone considering this as an option and has any questions, just ask.
    that's come out very tidy, nice one mate

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know where I can get the stainless pipe from on the mornington peninsula

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast