Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile put this and this in there

I guess it starts today.
    It wont be a quick conversion because in my spare time i am also going to rebuild the engine and auto before they go in.
    There is lots of helpful info on this site, which will help heaps.
    As far as i know the td42 is a stocko with a garret turbo stuck on it.
    It has 500 psi compression in each cylinder , 50 psi oil pressure at 3000rpm and runs about 7 psi boost.
    It has got 430k on the clock, but still goes quite well because its a patrol IMG_1792.JPGIMG_1791.JPGIMG_1796.JPG
    going into IMG_1795.JPGIMG_1794.JPGIMG_1793.JPG

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to carsurgeons For This Useful Post:

AB (16th April 2015), Avo (16th April 2015), Clunk (17th April 2015), growler2058 (19th April 2015), threedogs (16th April 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i modified my engine lifting bar because the patrol is pretty high. (higher then a small car anyway). undone front crank bolt while still in car. removed bonnet and battery.
    drained oil and coolant.
    narva led light died tonight, great timing.
    at this stage not sure what's going to be dearer, the parts or the beers.
    tomorrow motor out and either strip or remove auto,see how i feel.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to carsurgeons For This Useful Post:

AB (18th April 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my doner patrol gave birth today and out came a 4.2 litre diesel. has been out before or auto has been out.has sealant around rear main. probably auto. only hassle rounded a flexs plate bolt . out came trusty die grinder with thin cutting disc and cut it down to 17 mm and then came off sweet. will need new bolt later. not much wear in the old girl , no lip on the top of the liner . i would have thought there would be some lip. might not be as dear as i thought , only 10 beers to this stage.see what i can get done tomorrow

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carsurgeons For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (18th April 2015), growler2058 (19th April 2015), Stropp (10th June 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is like halley's comet . it will be a once in a lifetime event. got a bare block to take to engine guy sometime. all looks good so far.
    has had seal up put in it , so will all be crack tested but just wondering has anybody had a oil cooler on the side of the block give trouble ie oil in water.
    otherwise wait for the crack testing result.
    not many pics just stripping down. give me a petrol motor any day. Hope i remember where everything goes i have a week at fraser coming up with all the lads always a bit brain dead when i return. 34 sleeps but whose counting. extra fuel drums will be a thing of the past soon

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took all the engine parts over to the engine guy today and we were checking them out, and the camshaft rolled of the trolley and hit the concrete and snapped like a carrot right in the middle.should have taken an unhappy snap. Now i have two 3 cyl td42 camshafts. Really rare.Good excuse to get a turbo spec camshaft.Nothing else exciting has happened, just getting prices and cleaning parts , that's lots of fun.I will post pics of the 3 cyl camshafts later i hope .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to carsurgeons For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (24th April 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carsurgeons View Post
    I took all the engine parts over to the engine guy today and we were checking them out, and the camshaft rolled of the trolley and hit the concrete and snapped like a carrot right in the middle.should have taken an unhappy snap. Now i have two 3 cyl td42 camshafts. Really rare.Good excuse to get a turbo spec camshaft.Nothing else exciting has happened, just getting prices and cleaning parts , that's lots of fun.I will post pics of the 3 cyl camshafts later i hope .
    it is now 4 sleeps till fraser and cant wait. things have been going along slowly . i had the crank and flex plate and balancer balanced. the crank was out 2 or 3 grams out at one end and 4 grams out at other end. flex plate needed a 6 mm hole in one spot and balancer needed one small drill in one spot. the new factory con rods were the worst about 15 to 20 grams out and that was after weighing 12 rods and picking the closest 6. but they all came up ok after some attention. the new pistons and pins all weighed the same and will be balanced to within .1 of a gram after heights have been checked in block and have been ceramic coated. the turbo is a garrett t03 and i was told these work really well on patrols if set up right, mine had an exhaust housing which was too big causing late boost so getting a smaller one this week i hope. i should get block and all the parts back this week or when i get back from fraser, and will just be waiting on the ceramic coatings to be done. the only other thing was my old head was cracked so needed a new td42t head which was purchased at same time as other parts. Oh and i still need a camshaft.I should have most of the auto parts already just need to get the convertor done when i take the box out. I added a thread under electrical about fixing gq clocks, i have 2 and both didn't work and both needed one resister being re-soldered and both work fine now. dont know if all gq clocks have the same problem but it is an easy fix if they do. So hope that helps somebody else. that is all i have time for now ,got to get my fishing gear ready .

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carsurgeons For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (29th May 2015), threedogs (19th May 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested to know your plans for the auto.
    I've just finished rebuilding my spare trans to Q45 Infinity spec, that's extra frictions in 3 of the clutches. I have a Nomad valve body I've just overhauled (see my thread for details) that I'm using at the moment in my current running trans.

What are your plans for the convertor? What stall speed?
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    back from fraser now ,gq went really well. turned on computer and it died.You don't know how much you use your computer till you can't. New motherboard,ram and cpu and hours of installing and re-installing and i'm back in business. John not sure what i'll be doing to the auto and converter yet, probably pretty stock and will chat to my converter guy when i get around to that part.I think their only tough on the high clutch. and a lot of their issues are heat related.I'll wait till i get it apart. Still no parts back from engine guy yet. When he's finished the pistons need to be ceramic coated which can take a while because he normally does a run of pistons together, so i hope he already has some to do and mine will make up a run. After that off to the balancer and then can start assembly.it all takes time.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok so all my engine parts are back. Started cleaning and painting. Crank is in , pistons are in , cam is in, sump is on. all the front is on. Hoping to get the head on this weekend but to much cleaning and painting.I think I'll get gout before this is finished . Thirsty work cleaning and painting. I'll maybe touch it during the week or next weekend.I think the v8's are on next weekend ,like watching them. here are some pics of so far.181.JPG185.JPG187.JPG188.JPG189.JPG190.JPG191.JPG192.JPG168.JPG just thought i'd throw a faser pic in cause it was so much fun. Also auto is all finished. not much wrong with it. some seals were a bit hard but overall pretty good.
    Last edited by carsurgeons; 5th July 2015 at 06:33 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast