Thread: Possible clutch damage after towing

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    Crxp! I'v done it in the past, just to test the 4WD and I've even done 40km/h on bitumen like that.
    Ok, it's obvious I have a fair bit to learn about 4WD'ing with GQ Patrols.
    Small amount is fine but don't make it a habit. Don't stress mate.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

dom14 (8th September 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crxp! I'v done it in the past, just to test the 4WD and I've even done 40km/h on bitumen like that.
    Ok, it's obvious I have a fair bit to learn about 4WD'ing with GQ Patrols.
    Locked hubs and in 4WD? For how far? They don't just break instantly. Normally the gearbox locks up after a while and you can't change gears. A mate who works for the RAA told me they get a lot of service calls from people who hire 4WD's (Troopies) as they drive them out in 4WD and come to a grinding halt somewhere down the road. The service guys just jack a wheel up and it releases the tension. If you are driving on the road and this happens just get a wheel on the dirt (or median strip) and pressure will be released.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    Hi dom14, I don't think reversing in low range with the hubs unlocked will damage anything. I do it all the time! I doubt there will be any uncontrolled spinning of front diff as the transfer case splits power 50:50 on both ends so if rears aren't spinning it will be constant power to the front. You also won't be revving the guts out of it either.

Do you know what type of flywheel your Patrol has? The symptoms you described sound like a dual mass flywheel that's leaking oil from the buffers onto the clutch. Happened to a friend a few years ago (GU 3.0 litre). No drive and burnt smell yet the engine was fine. If no DMF then maybe the rear oil seal as suggested previously.
    Hi mate, I can't say for sure whether it's DMF in it. I reckon it isn't 'cos I heard somewhere a while ago that GQs didn't come with DMFs, but GUs.
    I don't know whether it's true or not.
    I think I'm about to find out.

I always thought I have no business touching the 4WD(low or high) without engaging the hub locks.
    Well, it sounds like I need good crash course in 4Wd'ing.

Here I'm attaching the photos of the 4WD gear lever and the sun visor 4WD instructions.
    It says not to engage the 4WD H or L without locking the hubs, yet I've been advised I can do it safely.

I may be confused here. Help me guys!.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You don't have to have the hubs locked, but you won't have the front wheels turning under power unless the hubs are locked.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

dom14 (15th April 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Locked hubs and in 4WD? For how far? They don't just break instantly. Normally the gearbox locks up after a while and you can't change gears. A mate who works for the RAA told me they get a lot of service calls from people who hire 4WD's (Troopies) as they drive them out in 4WD and come to a grinding halt somewhere down the road. The service guys just jack a wheel up and it releases the tension. If you are driving on the road and this happens just get a wheel on the dirt (or median strip) and pressure will be released.
    Ok, cool. Thanx mate. I didn't make a habit of it. I reckon I've done it couple of times in the past. It went smooth, except when taking turns, obviously 'cos there's no diff between transfer box & gearbox to match the wheel spinning speeds.
    BTW, when we use diff locks to get out of a bogged situation, aren't we stressing the diff and gearbox?
    Does that mean the diff lock should only be used as a last resort?
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    You don't have to have the hubs locked, but you won't have the front wheels turning under power unless the hubs are locked.
    Ok, cool. Obviously I learnt something valuable here. I can use 4L without locking the hubs to reduce the stress on the clutch and gearbox.
    I think I'm also beginning to understand the purpose of the transfer box as well.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ok, cool. Thanx mate. I didn't make a habit of it. I reckon I've done it couple of times in the past. It went smooth, except when taking turns, obviously 'cos there's no diff between transfer box & gearbox to match the wheel spinning speeds.
    BTW, when we use diff locks to get out of a bogged situation, aren't we stressing the diff and gearbox?
    Does that mean the diff lock should only be used as a last resort?
    Not really, when you are on dirt tracks or gravel roads, it's easier for the wheels to spin at different speeds, so if turning with diff locks on, the inside wheel can lose traction pretty easy, which is a good thing.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Air/vacuum/electric Diff locks - If the ground is slippery or soft then there is no problem. If the ground is harder (dry outback road) then don't have it on. You only put them on when you see an obstacle or trouble ahead.

Auto lockers - when the pressure builds up they unlock (one side) to release the pressure.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Air/vacuum/electric Diff locks - If the ground is slippery or soft then there is no problem. If the ground is harder (dry outback road) then don't have it on. You only put them on when you see an obstacle or trouble ahead.

Auto lockers - when the pressure builds up they unlock (one side) to release the pressure.
    Cool mate. I was thinking about modifying the diff to get diff lock effect for back wheels(manual switch), as I'm planning to head off
    for a long trip, solo.

I have no idea how to install an auto locker for a GQ. I'm guessing it's a professional job and probably an expensive job as well.
    Last edited by dom14; 15th April 2015 at 09:38 PM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would not bother for that trip, the factory Nissan LSD is the next best thing to being locked.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (15th April 2015)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast