Thread: Wear your PPE

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wear your PPE

Gday all PPE is an acronym for personal protective equpiment.

This weekend I have been working on my beloved troll. I've spilled the claret ,smashed a knuckle and copped a few other minor injuries all in the name of DIY. However it could have been alot worse had i not been wearing safety glasses. I work in construction where PPE is a way of life even for the most innocent of jobs so it comes naturally to me to chuck the gear on. Also I've had experiences with the type of task im about to tell you about in the past so was aware of the dangers.

Getting old bearings off without a puller was the job at hand today. Bearing carriers are made of very hard steel chrome plated for added longeviety, very hard and also brittle. So after breaking a finger nail from a heavy lump of steel travelling at terminal velocity I was slightly frustrated with the task at hand, and took to it with increased vigour. Lump (mash) hammer and cold chisel. "Hitting like imeant it" as they say. Well the stubborn little bugger came off kind of like a mini hand grenade, not loud but throwing little shards of schrapnel around everywhere, striking me in the face and ear and causing numerous little blood spots. These shards are sharp as glass and a SH!t load harder. You may have seen stickers on hammers saying dont strike two hammers together or against other hardened steels, the same thing can happen. So the point I'm trying to make is no matter how small yhe job at hand is take time to think about all possible consequences. These inner bearing carriers are only about the size of a 50c piece but in the right circumstances can have devastating consequences for the under prepared.

Play it safe out there folks, our safety statement at work is IIF (incident and injury free) and its something i try to take on board all the time. Our recreational pastime of 4wding is a great way to show our kids this brilliant country we live in but can be bloody dangerous, so think before ya act and have safe fun

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

AB (20th March 2011), Ade (14th May 2012), AndyExy (18th May 2012), big_fletch (20th March 2011), Clunk (13th May 2012), DX grunt (20th March 2011), Finly Owner (22nd March 2011), katwoman (20th March 2011), Les Penrose (3rd September 2012), my third 256 (15th May 2012), NissanGQ4.2 (20th March 2011), ozzymalone (14th May 2012), patrol2.8 (15th May 2012), Plasnart (20th March 2011), snicko (6th September 2012), Sretch (24th March 2011), threedogs (4th September 2012), Trolatron (14th May 2012), UKKiwi (20th March 2011), Woof (20th March 2011), xtreme patrol (14th May 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growlers71gq View Post
    Gday all PPE is an acronym for personal protective equpiment.

This weekend I have been working on my beloved troll. I've spilled the claret ,smashed a knuckle and copped a few other minor injuries all in the name of DIY. However it could have been alot worse had i not been wearing safety glasses. I work in construction where PPE is a way of life even for the most innocent of jobs so it comes naturally to me to chuck the gear on. Also I've had experiences with the type of task im about to tell you about in the past so was aware of the dangers.

Getting old bearings off without a puller was the job at hand today. Bearing carriers are made of very hard steel chrome plated for added longeviety, very hard and also brittle. So after breaking a finger nail from a heavy lump of steel travelling at terminal velocity I was slightly frustrated with the task at hand, and took to it with increased vigour. Lump (mash) hammer and cold chisel. "Hitting like imeant it" as they say. Well the stubborn little bugger came off kind of like a mini hand grenade, not loud but throwing little shards of schrapnel around everywhere, striking me in the face and ear and causing numerous little blood spots. These shards are sharp as glass and a SH!t load harder. You may have seen stickers on hammers saying dont strike two hammers together or against other hardened steels, the same thing can happen. So the point I'm trying to make is no matter how small yhe job at hand is take time to think about all possible consequences. These inner bearing carriers are only about the size of a 50c piece but in the right circumstances can have devastating consequences for the under prepared.

Play it safe out there folks, our safety statement at work is IIF (incident and injury free) and its something i try to take on board all the time. Our recreational pastime of 4wding is a great way to show our kids this brilliant country we live in but can be bloody dangerous, so think before ya act and have safe fun
    Thanks mate - good post and good advice!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is good advice. So now time few a few more beers and drag out the 9 inch grinder to cut the head of that bolt off. LOL
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhuck View Post
    Is good advice. So now time few a few more beers and drag out the 9 inch grinder to cut the head of that bolt off. LOL
    Make sure you take the guard off so you can see the bolt proper hahahahahahahaha and do it in the rain so you dont start a fire hahahahahha

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good advice mate, thanks for the post
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growlers71gq View Post
    Make sure you take the guard off so you can see the bolt proper hahahahahahahaha and do it in the rain so you dont start a fire hahahahahha
    Glad you saw the humor. I was a little worried after I posted
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. Just done my OSH reps course and know the importance of safety.

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Glad you can still see the keyboard mate. Sometimes its just to easy to cut corners and end up injured.
    Top advice mate.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX grunt View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Just done my OSH reps course and know the importance of safety.

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Onya Rossco the more of us out there the better, theres some dodgy operators out there that gotta be made accountable when they put their workers at risk. I used to work for the dodgiest now i work for one of the safest big builders in the world and it blows me away to see how bad the other mob was i worked for.

Im doing a ohs diploma at moment, havent had to study for 23 odd years. Hoping to step up in the OHS world. Yell out if you have any Q's alot of the study info is on the W.A ohs&w act.

Good to see u back any way mate now we can have our three word game story experience again hahahahahahhaahaha

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep. only two eyes and two ears :-)

That was quicker and more exciting than the AB - 2 puller I used

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast