User Tag List

Thread: New clutch, which one

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New clutch, which one

Ok so I am driving back from Sydney to bathurst and the clutch is gone. So do I get the same dual mass or convert to solid single mass. Anyone got any idea of what it is to get dual mass replaced? I don't think it is in my skill set to do it myself. Any info would be good.
    Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the single mass will be more reliable and cheaper i think. dual mass should reduce the vibration. if your worried most people barely notice the difference. in some cars it drives me nuts never put a single in a patrol myself but some guys here have
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You will feel a few more vibrations and a little more noise with a solid flywheel. But they are cheaper and will last a lot longer. As for brands, it depends on your budget I suppose. I used a Clutch Industries 4 Terrain kit. Its top of their range, their is other brands of the equivalent type. Can't think of them though right now.
    As for fitting, if you have done a clutch on these before, it will be no different, apart from remove the flywheel and refitting the new. Get new flywheel bolts though...I have done mine twice, the first on the garage floor. Never again. Took a week to do of late nights after work. The second I just paid a shop to do it. Dropped it of one morning, then the next morning I picked it up.
    If you are to do it your self, you will need two extra people to help you with the removal and refit. We used an engine crane in through the passenger door and through the transmission tunnel to hold the gearbox. And had the troll sitting on a rims just to get enough height under the car. Its a big job in a garage...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ideas on dollars to fit? I am guessing because it is a patrol it is going to be horrendous!!!

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With me supplying the parts it was around $1300. They did a few things while the box was out. I think it was around $800 or so in labour for the r & r.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing with the single mass flywheel is that you need to downshift quicker as the car starts vibrating. Can't just lug it through a tight round about in 3rd. You get used to it though and the payoff is improved pedal feel (can feel exactly when it takes up) and reliability.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.