Thread: A trip to the Kimberley & Pilbara

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A trip to the Kimberley & Pilbara

Hi folks, I am planning in June to go to the Kimberley, Gibb River Road and on up to the Mitchell Plateau. I will be towing an off road camper trailer (Pioneer Argyle). Is it advisable to take the camper trailer all the way to the Mitchell Falls campground or should it be left at Drysdale River Homestead and tent it at Mitchell Falls?
    Has anyone tried this trip with a camper, if so what are the pros and cons?
    Cheers
    Michael
    2008 GU DX Auto, dual batteries, Safari snorkel, Warn winch. Engine standard CRD 3L

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,986 Times in 3,176 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by micknor51 View Post
    Hi folks, I am planning in June to go to the Kimberley, Gibb River Road and on up to the Mitchell Plateau. I will be towing an off road camper trailer (Pioneer Argyle). Is it advisable to take the camper trailer all the way to the Mitchell Falls campground or should it be left at Drysdale River Homestead and tent it at Mitchell Falls?
    Has anyone tried this trip with a camper, if so what are the pros and cons?
    Cheers
    Michael
    Hi Michael,

I took my offroad camper to Mitchell Falls campground last year, if the trailer is strong and you are willing to go slow and lookout for larger holes it is ok but it would be a more comfortable drive without a trailer.
    I did have a problem with the brakes on the trailer, the pads had worn at the mounting points and started jaming on and had to disable them until I got to Broome and fixed them.
    We did come across a family in a Prado along the way that had left thier trailer at Drysdale and had a few issues like a broken battery mount and bashplate and they had left thier tools and spares in the trailer, fortunately we had what they needed. If you do leave the trailer make sure you grab everything you need.
    If I was doing it again I would leave my trailer at Drysdale and tent it.
    Cheers,
    Tony

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

micknor51 (11th April 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tony,
    Thanks for the information. Tenting up to Mitchell Falls sounds like the go then (I will have to remember how to erect it again). No problems with the tools I always carry them in the Patrol.
    Cheers
    Michael
    2008 GU DX Auto, dual batteries, Safari snorkel, Warn winch. Engine standard CRD 3L

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Michael,

In 2010 we camped (with camper trailer) at the King Edward River campgrounds and just did a day trip up to the falls. Quite easily done in a day, but we did walk in and helicopter out. I think we left camp at 7:30am and we were back at camp well before dark. If you decide to camp at King Edward camp, I'd suggest camping at the right hand side camp as you come into the area. A lot nicer and a lot less busy. Do walk down along the river to the other camp though as there some nice little Rapids and a waterfall area for swimming, only the odd freshie when we were there. Well we never saw any though. Have a great trip!

cheers
    Darren

PS there's also a couple of aboriginal rock art sites around the King Edward River campgrounds.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloggsy For This Useful Post:

micknor51 (12th April 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Darren,
    A day trip in and out is another option as my wife is not keen sleeping on the hard ground anymore even with a bit of sponge underbum. Was it very busy at the King Edward River campground?
    Cheers
    Michael

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Left hand camp was definitely crowded 40-50+ camps, but the right nowhere near as crowded, probably about 15 camps. I think people on the left camp there because it is closer to the areas for swimming.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloggsy For This Useful Post:

micknor51 (12th April 2015)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Busy busy and that was 5 years ago. Thanks for the info Darren.
    Michael

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and that was the end of July. I think the campsite we stayed at was known as Campsite 2. About 3kms after the King Edward River crossing is the turnoff to the campgrounds on your right. Down here you will come across the turnoff to campsite 2 first, which should be the right hand turn to take. Both campsites have Eco toilets. They do smell very pungent in the mornings haha!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the hordes will not have arrived by the time we get there mid to late June or we will just add to the numbers.
    Eco toilets are better than no toilets and poop everywhere, the aroma is just an extra bonus or not!!
    Michael

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by micknor51 View Post
    Perhaps the hordes will not have arrived by the time we get there mid to late June

You're a funny man Michael!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to P4trol For This Useful Post:

micknor51 (13th April 2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast