OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $15000.00 to spend what would you do?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you reckon you need a lift, go the 2 inch first as that is only springs shocks and brake bias bracket. If you find that you need a higher lift, then flog off the 2 inch stuff and go higher. As has been said, you should get a very good GQ for your budget.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Lumbnuts (10th April 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After reading the heading my first thought were to bet the lot on black. Then I opened the thread up...
    What do you want first? GQ or GU? You'd get more for your money in a Q thats for sure, but a GU is more comfy for touring. Buuuut you'd have to spend more.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again depends whole and solely on the scope.
    I have a 2" atm and yes it's fine.
    If I had my time again I'd go 3 straight up. Gives that bit more flex, which means more traction more often.
    With the budget yea probably 2" as its simple springs and shocks.

A winch though if self touring is must. You need to be self sufficient. Max tracks are great but are limited.

A decent bull bar. Well there is some big wildlife out there. And live stock.

Decent tyres will pay for themselves.
    Again depending on the scope. But a set of 33's not only gives a nicer ride, gives that little extra diff clearance and really that's were the most benefit it.

It really is an open question.
    If I had $15g to do everything then my list is what id do.

Most on car sales atm will see you in a td42 turbo with steel bar, winch, roof rack, and snorkel for $11-12g..
    4g is a good budget for the rest. If your clever.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I'm sure you agree that suspension should be upgraded from standard for any real touring, a small lift is even better than stock!
    Bigger tyres are better for a number of reasons, the larger width is the most important thing for touring I would say.
    I can’t disagree ‘cos I have no idea what standard suspension is like on a Patrol having only had OME & Lovells but whether an upgrade is needed depends, I would have thought on the definition of ‘real’ touring. If the stock suspension is truly crap then upgrading to do things like the Simpson or the Canning would of course make sense, but if the touring is going to be what 95% of the travelling population do then an upgrade may not be the highest priority.

Lots of people like to have a 4wd to tour with no intention of getting into the gnarly stuff.

Same with the lift. It’s reasonable to argue that any stock 4wd would benefit from a lift but again with a $15k budget, is it a high priority ...... & anyway why a 3” lift & not a legal 2” one. If the toughest driving expected were, for example the Birdsville or Oodnadatta tracks, or the Gibb River Road a lift isn’t a necessity. I doubt that all those Britz Troopy campers getting around have a lift.

Bigger tyres for touring are not something I would suggest are a good idea. Wider tyres are very useful in some situations, but for touring it is generally better to compromise in the interests of fuel economy.

I expect we are probably not really in disagreement Winnie, just that we are each thinking of different meanings of ‘touring’ - a good example of needing to know more detail about the actual intended usage.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 10th April 2015 at 06:08 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well when you think that stock Springs will be 20 years old roughly, I think you're right cuppa... I have a 3" lift and there are not many tracks in the high country I cannot do. I would only suggest a 2" for touring though.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You would be surprised where 2" of lift and 33's will get you. Especially with what is available today. Getting the correct gear in the front will see a 2" lifted out perform a 3" lifted one that doesn't have the right mods.

I must come down there as you are shit out of luck getting a well setup tidy gq for 15k up here.
    Last edited by nissannewby; 10th April 2015 at 06:35 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (10th April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the world of touring.

Here's a list to tantalize your taste buds. Don't spend all your money at once. lol

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...-camping-lists

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it's a long term investment you want to use and tour for many years I would...

Be all over every car sale avenue for months until you find an honest stockish low km mid 200,000km td42 gq for around 10k

Spend the 5k on 2" ome gu suspension, snorkel and 33" tyres, UHF etc Budget done but a great start to your journey!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Lumbnuts (11th April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    You could get an awesome TD42 GQ with tyres and suspension pretty well setup for 10k,with 5k leftover for whatever else needs to be spent.
    Going by what's on offer at the moment, I couldn't do it for that. Not to build what I want in a tourer.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    Going by what's on offer at the moment, I couldn't do it for that. Not to build what I want in a tourer.
    Yeah but not everyone is after a extreme rock crawling , trophy vehicle, tough truck that can handle a track or two ...lol

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast