OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $15000.00 to spend what would you do?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$15000.00 to spend what would you do?

Ok so if you had 15k to buy and build a touring 4wd what would you buy? what would you do?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    GQ TD 4.2 with 2" lift and 285 tyres, awning and cargo barrier
    and travel as light as you can, will leave plenty of change for
    long range tanks and a winch if you think you'll need it
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Gecko17 (10th April 2015), Lumbnuts (10th April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A tidy td42 gq turbo with 3"lift and 33's..
    Winch bar and winch.
    Draw system
    Air on board system
    Roof rack
    Uhf and hf radios
    Long range sub tank.

That should see fit to the 15g
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Gecko17 (10th April 2015), Lumbnuts (10th April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What they said...
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HF radio? Are you sure that is of real value for a startup? Definitely something to consider for remote stuff.

Otherwise I agree, a good clean GQ 4.2 diesel, with bar, rack and a 2" lift with 285's. You may find a good one without a turbo, and it is always something you could add later.
    UHF radio;
    Air compressor - I find the air compressor is the single most used bit of kit I have, so definitely include a good one when you are putting together your recovery gear.
    A long range tank is a good addition and;
    Spotties if you intend on covering the miles at night.

If you have any change, put it into your suspension and brakes right from the start, unless it has already been done. Otherwise, start collecting spare bits and pieces like radiator hoses, fan belts, tools etc.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Lumbnuts (10th April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biggqwesty View Post
    with 3"lift and 33's..
    For touring? Why?

What sort of fit out depends very much on both where you want to go, (blacktop with occasional off road excursions, long but reasonably well travelled dirt roads or tracks where you may not see another vehicle for days at a time), your travelling style (eg, moving on most days vs staying put for a week or two at a time), how long you want to go for, how long you want to be able to stay bush between re-supplies & what level of comfort you are seeking, travelling alone or with other vehicles, how many in your vehicle etc etc.

It’s hard to know if you haven’t previously travelled much but nevertheless it important to nut it out before you start fitting a vehicle out, or it’s easy to waste the resources you have
    If you can say more about those things you will get answers from others which best suit your needs.

Different folk have different priorities so what suits one won’t suit another.

Other things not yet mentioned which I consider essential (for the way in which we travel) are:

An awning/rain & sun shade
    An electrical system to run a fridge/freezer without need to regularly visit caravan parks
    Sufficient water & food storage
    A set up which is quick & easy enough to prevent it becoming a chore if moving on most days.
    Recovery gear including a winch (because we intend travelling alone in remote areas).

Generally lp gas stoves are the simplest as an alternative to the camp fire, although there are a few alternatives.

Hot water - just go to a caravan park for a shower every few days, have a swim or have other means of heating water

Sleeping accommodation can be, a mattress under a tarp, swag, ground tent, rooftop tent, camper trailer or caravan.

Consider your toilet needs. Wives & girlfriends often prefer greater comfort/privacy. Don’t add to the crap that others leave - consider a portapotti or similar.

Around Australia servos can generally be found every 300kms or so unless going more remote & then the long range tanks become highly desirable, but for the routes that 95% of travellers take they are not needed.

In remote areas emergency communication is important. Minimum should be an epirb. After that you have the choice between UHF (CB) & HF radios, mobile phones, satellite phones & a few gadgets which combine communications & tracking. A Telstra mobile phone will give you the best phone coverage. Much of the main highways are covered & anywhere within 25kms of a town or a mine generally.

There really is an infinite way of setting up for touring & many more things to consider. It may feel overwhelming at the beginnng but it really is worthwhile working out what will suit you before starting a fit out. Avoid the temptation to buy *everything* just in case . .... doing that is expensive & heavy & I can guarantee that those who do find that they don’t use half the stuff they’ve lugged all round the country.

Check out as many other set ups as you can first. Go camping with the bare minimum & suss out what is important to you. Whatever you end up with will be a compromise between many things.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 10th April 2015 at 01:46 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (10th April 2015), Lumbnuts (10th April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    For touring? Why?.
    I'm sure you agree that suspension should be upgraded from standard for any real touring, a small lift is even better than stock!
    Bigger tyres are better for a number of reasons, the larger width is the most important thing for touring I would say.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    15k wouldn't be enough, that would only cover a GQ td42 suspension, tyres, basic engine mods with nothing left over for touring mods and accessories
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    15k wouldn't be enough, that would only cover a GQ td42 suspension, tyres, basic engine mods with nothing left over for touring mods and accessories
    You could get an awesome TD42 GQ with tyres and suspension pretty well setup for 10k,with 5k leftover for whatever else needs to be spent.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    $15k was the limit thats why I was wondering if the expense of a winch was neccessary.
    But I would probably add a 80watt panel to compliment a dual battery system. As we all know you can spend $$$$$$ and still not be finished.
    But $15 grand would be a budget tourer, Ive seen backpackers buy an old Tojo for $1000 do a lap and sell or take it to the tip when finished.
    So recapping as some went over budget, long range tanks a must IMO. Awning not expensive but great for keeping out of the outback sun.
    Totally agree on the compressor plenty of uses when touring for sure, A decent ice box reason being I'd go over budget buying an Engel or similar . As Im travelling I need fuel every other day so ICE is no problem, and if I have water issues [radiator] I have plenty of water to top up. You cant do that with an engel.
    Wont need driving lights as night driving outback is a no no. 285s as that size is every where even if stuck you can throw on a 7,50 x 16.
    Think that makes a decent tourer depending on the value on the Patrol, Im hoping the Patrol will alreaady have a bull bar.

EDIT and a decent window tint
    Last edited by threedogs; 10th April 2015 at 03:00 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

16. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Lumbnuts (10th April 2015)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast